help

Options
What are some foods that when you begun your journey really helped you transition. To eating properly and what have you done that has helped you to lose the weight?

Replies

• amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    proteins in the morning
    nuts, cheese and boiled eggs.
    not the boiled egg or cheese sandwich for some reason, I get hungry sooner if I sandwich it.
  • sallyp2
    sallyp2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Think clean eating. If there are more than a few ingredients don’t eat it. If you can’t pronounce what’s in it don’t eat it. Very little gluten its heavey and will make you feel slugish.
  • asarwe
    asarwe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I second protein in the morning. Yoghurt works too, but I prefer eggs when I have the time. I prefer eating the entire egg (including the yolk) for my breakfast to last me all the way through the morning (I have breakfast at 6.30 and lunch at 12.30).

Yoghurt for snacks. Mixed with frozen berries (because fresh is not possible here during winter).

Lean meat. Chicken is your friend

Not being afraid of fat, but avoiding highly processed varieties. I choose butter over margarine, for example.

Popcorn (great for salt and crunch cravings)

Lots of veg to bulk up meals

Dark chocolate (for sweet cravings)

Allowing myself some candy each saturday. It is sometimes helpful. Any other day, I'm only allowed it if it fits my Cals.

Herbs and spices
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I got rid of the soda/fizza drinks, I was drinking way too much anyway! :)
    I agree about the protein in the morning if you have time for it. :D

I eat a lot of chicken! :) It's great for filling me up, and it's not as expensive as some meats. :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What are some foods that when you begun your journey really helped you transition. To eating properly and what have you done that has helped you to lose the weight?

Hello there bubbles!

You know what I'd recommend above all else?

I'd eat "mostly" nutrient dense foods like meats, fresh fruit, vegetables, perhaps some chicken or fish, etc, and I'd try to hit your end-of-day targets for calories and macronutrients.

I don't think you need to worry specifically about whether or not a food is "clean" and I wouldn't stress out over whether or not you can eat some pasta or *gasp* a treat here and there.

Lastly, I'd pay attention to how you feel and your personal satisfaction. If a particular food makes you irritable, or you have a medical condition that requires you to avoid something, then obviously avoid it.

But beyond that, hit your nutrient targets, eat mostly nutritious foods, spend more time moving and less time sitting and you'll be well on your way.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I tried to improve on what I was already eating and already enjoyed.

I was eating a lot of Hamburger/Chicken Helper type foods. I improved it by making similar foods with a dry mix. Sauces and marinades, plus pasta, plus meat, which usually cut down on the sodium right there, plus a great big pile of frozen vegetables mixed in. No harder to make than the Helper, but healthier.

Lots of people cut out rice and pasta. I never did. I just add lots of veggies so I'm eating a little less of it, but still the same volume of food.

I liked candy bars. I swapped them out for granola or fiber bars at first, then more recently swapped those for protein bars. Same yummy taste as a candy bar, but with 10-20g of protein instead of 1 or 2.

I liked eating frozen pizza. DiGiorno or Freschetta. I still like them, still eat them, but not 3 times a week. And I make them fit in my calorie budget. Becoming a more active person means that a 800-1200 calorie dinner is normal, not a budget buster.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Hello there bubbles!

I'd eat "mostly" nutrient dense foods like meats, fresh fruit, vegetables, perhaps some chicken or fish, etc, and I'd try to hit your end-of-day targets for calories and macronutrients.

I don't think you need to worry specifically about whether or not a food is "clean" and I wouldn't stress out over whether or not you can eat some pasta or *gasp* a treat here and there.

Lastly, I'd pay attention to how you feel and your personal satisfaction. If a particular food makes you irritable, or you have a medical condition that requires you to avoid something, then obviously avoid it.

But beyond that, hit your nutrient targets, eat mostly nutritious foods, spend more time moving and less time sitting and you'll be well on your way.
    ^ Best advice you'll ever get right there.
  • babybubbles1982
    Options
    Thanx everyone for the advice, I still have a couple more questions to ask..... should I take coffee out of my diet altogether (I already have sodas and juices) and what are some exercises that you would recommend for a beginner. As of right now I don't have the money to go to the gym so I need help with exercises I can amcomplete at home...
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables, oily fish.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    should I take coffee out of my diet altogether (I already have sodas and juices) and what are some exercises that you would recommend for a beginner
    I think you can leave coffee in, but not with cream, unless you have spare cals to use up.
    Most people who exercise at home follow a routine on the internet, just go on youtube and search for exercise videos.
    There's heaps
    I'm sure you'll get brands suggested
    Also spring cleaning the house and some hard core ninja gardening help.
    Walking a reasonable distance is good if the weather is fine, jog or run when you are ready, preferably on grass or tan bark so as not to hurt your joints.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Hello there bubbles!

^ Best advice you'll ever get right there.

I second this. All I did was eat the foods I like within my calorie budget.