How far could you run when you started running?

Options
When I first started running I could run .15 miles before dying for air. Now I can run about 2 miles. How far could you run when you started running and how far can you run now?

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    30 seconds! then I worked on run/walk and extended my run ratio to walks and now I can run for 60 minutes, though I am the slowest runner I know but that's ok cos I run alone!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    When I first started, maybe to the end of the block, but I doubt I would even make it that far.

My "longest" run was 10k. That's plenty for me. I don't really train for running distance and endurance.
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm replying to this thread because I'm just getting started in running, and the furthest distance I ran yesterday (on the treadmill) was 0.3 miles, I'm hoping to do 0.5 by the end of the year.
  • againagain
    againagain Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    30 seconds. Am up to a mile, which is about 11 minutes, which is slow, but that is OK! I can do 2 miles with a 2 min walk break between. It's amazing how quickly you improve.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    When I began, spurts of a few hundred metres, before walking, then running, then walking...now I can run half marathon distance if needed. Want to get that up to marathon distance next year though...wheee!
  • dpvike80
    dpvike80 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I would "run" a quarter mile and walk a quarter mile. In November, I completed my second half marathon....so, I can run at least 13.1 miles now.
  • alipene
    alipene Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I've entered a half marathon to make me do some exercise. Never run before. In September I could run for about a minute. Now I can comfortably run for 30 mins - I used to couch to 5k programme. I'm now 13 weeks away from the half marathon...and I will get there!
  • JUP1T3R
    Options
    When I first started running I didn't track the distance I just ran what seemed like forever, and at the end when I called my buddy to pick me up he told me that i ran about 5.5 miles. I was never a big runner in any of my sports, in fact I was that guy who hated running and always complained, but since that day I run 4-5 miles everyday and swim about 2 miles. I would suggest to anyone who doesn't think they could run far to just go out one day and run until you can't feel your legs, if run on a treadmill, just cover up the distance and time with a towel and put your headphones in and just get lost in yourself! :smile:
  • JUP1T3R
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • chicco57
    chicco57 Posts: 298
    Options
    30 seconds, which isn't very far at all now I can run for about 3 and half miles aiming to improve on that!
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    About half a mile at a 10 minute mile pace (6.0 on the treadmill, about 5 minutes) lol and then I would be almost puking and gasping for breath and reaching for my inhaler. Now I can run 10 at that pace just doing my inhaler once before I start =) I started with C25k in April to learn how to pace myself/slowly build up and then continue to increase my distance from there. Once I learned to pace myself it was a lot easier it all starts with a mile at a time but I found once I could run 5-6 miles I could easily run another 4 because for me after 5-6 miles runners high kicks in!

The first mile of my run is always the hardest one! I struggle with the first 2-3 miles in fact! My speed improves toward the end of my long distance runs it goes down to an 8 minute mile, while at the start I'm running about a 10 minute mile. Overall I run about 9 minutes per mile for a distance of 10-12 miles
  • JUP1T3R
    Options
    Good luck with your goal, just stick with it and pretty soon you will look back and the goal of .5 will have changed into a goal of 1.5
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    However far I could get in 30 seconds... lol. I don't measure distance, only time. I can now run in 3-4 minute bursts 3-4 times before my lungs can't take anymore. I may never be able to run more than that though with my genetic lung disorder. I hope it gets a lot easier as I keep losing weight.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I could run .15 miles before dying for air. Now I can run about 2 miles. How far could you run when you started running and how far can you run now?

Same starting distance. One lap around the park by my house is .31 miles and I could only make it halfway before I had to stop. I started Couch to 5k two years ago.

Now, my longest distance was about 11 miles, which was a weird Forrest Gump type run where I left the house and just kept going. I did stop and use a job-johnny at about 7 miles and took several walk breaks. I typically run between 3-7 miles. And it's always the same, no matter what distance I run. The first mile and last mile suck. The middle miles are always the best. :laugh:
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    The very first time? I really don't know... 1/4 mile? Now I can run 8 miles
  • lc52820
    lc52820 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    May of this year is when I first took up running & I could not run to save my life LOL. Couch to 5k helped me reach my goal & now I'm planning on working up to a 10k.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

My sister and I started by walking, then speed walking our route first since Sept. 2012, and have only run our route per workout session 2 times. We run for 3hrs straight@7-8 minutes per mile right now because my ankle's not in top form. We have not experienced getting winded for the entire duration ... Possibly because our bodies have grown accustomed to the route - adjusting as needed. Who knows?
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    About a quarter of a mile.

Can do 6 miles before I have to slow down a bit now.
  • Chigger56
    Options
    Barely 1/4 mile...with alot of air gasping. Was up to 5 miles before a hamstring issue sidelined me. Not from running tho. From Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30. GRRRRR. After the new year rolls in gonna start again after a 2 month rest.
  • CarolinaMoon76
    Options
    Still very new to running but the most I could do at first was a minute at a time - I am now able to run a mile without stopping and building up on that slowly but surely - I am also the slowest runner that I know but as I remind myself I am running faster than all the people driving by in their cars :laugh: