Vegetarian Protein options, please help! :)

Options
Hi!

So this is my issue: I am a vegetarian, I have been for 8 years or so, and I have considered eating chicken but I can't bring myself to do it. Just.. yuck can't do it.

So I need more protein in my diet, I am way too over in fats/carbs daily, but it seems like every thing that has protein is accompanied by either fat or carbs. For example like cheeses or nuts.

What's a good percentage of fats/carbs/protein for wanting to cut fat and gain muscle? I just need help in this department and hopefully some references to foods that are good for protein (that are vegetarian--I don't eat anything that once lived with a heart beat, but eggs, milk, cheese, etc are fine).

Also, would it be bad if I just got majority of my proteins from protein powders?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    nuts, soymilk, tofu, beans
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Hi!

So this is my issue: I am a vegetarian, I have been for 8 years or so, and I have considered eating chicken but I can't bring myself to do it. Just.. yuck can't do it.

So I need more protein in my diet, I am way too over in fats/carbs daily, but it seems like every thing that has protein is accompanied by either fat or carbs. For example like cheeses or nuts.

What's a good percentage of fats/carbs/protein for wanting to cut fat and gain muscle? I just need help in this department and hopefully some references to foods that are good for protein (that are vegetarian--I don't eat anything that once lived with a heart beat, but eggs, milk, cheese, etc are fine).

Also, would it be bad if I just got majority of my proteins from protein powders?

Thanks in advance!

Quinoa
    Beans/Lentils/Legumes
    Tempeh
    Hemp protein powder
    Spirulina
  • maddiey
    maddiey Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thank you for those suggestions!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, low fat soft cheese (Philadelphia type), Quark, egg whites, low fat plain yoghurt.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Thank you for those suggestions!

You're welcome. Remember, you can always change the texture of the plant protein to diversify your menus (eg. patties, balls, burgers, sticks, crisps). :smile:
  • nikibunny1
    Options
    I eat beans, tofu, soy , edamame frozen and dried, almonds, peanut butter, almond butter, soy milk, apricots avacados, mission low carb tortillas are high in protein too... quinoa, chia seeds, lentils, pea and rice protein powder, and greek yogurt.. Many protein choices.... if you are into soy you can crumble your own tofu, add taco seasoning, and make mexican night! or soy and crumble and make the tofu crumbles , brown rice, and crack and egg with scallions for a fried rice type dish high in protein.... many different options. Maybe you need to spice up your SPICES and your recipes so you can get out of your rut... Start on some new dishes, hit the organic store..... SPICE IT UP!!!!

I am moving to total VEGAN now I have no protein problems at all but a licensed dietician really is whom you should go to and they an go over all your requirements based off of your body exactly and what you need for your work out needs. Good Luck!!
  • maddiey
    Options
    Thank you all! That really helps. I have been lost and I needed help, thank you that is definitely more than enough ideas for me to work with :)
  • maddiey
    Options
    I eat beans, tofu, soy , edamame frozen and dried, almonds, peanut butter, almond butter, soy milk, apricots avacados, mission low carb tortillas are high in protein too... quinoa, chia seeds, lentils, pea and rice protein powder, and greek yogurt.. Many protein choices.... if you are into soy you can crumble your own tofu, add taco seasoning, and make mexican night! or soy and crumble and make the tofu crumbles , brown rice, and crack and egg with scallions for a fried rice type dish high in protein.... many different options. Maybe you need to spice up your SPICES and your recipes so you can get out of your rut... Start on some new dishes, hit the organic store..... SPICE IT UP!!!!

I am moving to total VEGAN now I have no protein problems at all but a licensed dietician really is whom you should go to and they an go over all your requirements based off of your body exactly and what you need for your work out needs. Good Luck!!

Thank you those are great ideas I'll have to try some of those :)
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Mexican food, so sometimes I'll just take pinto beans, add a bunch of salsa, and onions / peppers if I have any. Low fat, high protein.
    I use Santa Fe Company Instant / Dried beans, but there's fresher options if you have time to cook.

I think greek yogurt is a decent protein source as well.
  • joslin2005
    Options
    Nuts, seeds, legumes, grains, soy, dairy and don't know if your ok with eggs but they are an excellent source of protein. Some vegans are ok with eating eggs and some aren't. Some people don't know the eggs we eat have not been fertilized by the rooster so you wouldn't be eating unborn chickens. Here is a great link that has different forms of protein sources and their nutritional value. http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=158
  • StephCoff1969
    Options
    In addition to everything else that has already been said, I really like TVP (textured vegetable protein). I add it to chili or other things that require ground beef.. It has 12grams of protein per serving so really good choice.. It is flavorless until reconstituted and added to other foods... It will take on the flavor of pretty much anything you put it in, and looks like ground beef..

Also I believe it has 80 calories per serving...
  • ChristinaK69
    Options
    I just bought some vegetarian protein mix from puritans pride online. I'm going to try it tomorrow
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I'm vegan and just about all of my protein from protein powder. I just add water, baking soda, and one of those Duncan Hines flavor creation packets and cook it like a pancake. The cherry vanilla and strawberry shortcake flavor packets are great for protein pancakes.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Beans, green leafies, certain grains, but you don't need as much protein as most people think you need. Most people get too much. The amount of protein in most green leafy vegetables is adequate.
  • JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Beans, green leafies, certain grains, but you don't need as much protein as most people think you need.

^ this
    If you really are hard up for protein, fresh sources are better than protein powders (less processing). Personally, I get most of my protein from milk (about 10g per cup) but I know most vegetarians prefer to limit their intake of animal products. Beans are also pretty great. Yes, they do have carbs, but they have respectable amounts of both protein and fiber and are dirt cheap (especially if you buy them dried instead of in a can). Also protein in many vegetables (green leafies, broccoli...)
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    Greek yoghurt is pretty good for protein.

Also if you eat mock meats like Quorn, soy burgers etc. I love Quorn mince to make chillies or bolognase.

I made some seitan sausages the other day and they had quite high protein as well.
  • cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This recipe. I use it not just for meatballs, but I also shape them in sausage shapes and hamburger patties, so it has a lot of potential!

http://www.sproutedkitchen.com/home/2011/12/29/lentil-meatballs-in-lemon-pesto.html
  • StephCoff1969
    Options
    This recipe. I use it not just for meatballs, but I also shape them in sausage shapes and hamburger patties, so it has a lot of potential!

http://www.sproutedkitchen.com/home/2011/12/29/lentil-meatballs-in-lemon-pesto.html

Yummy..
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    sun warrior protein powder. Made from all vegetables. Google Sunwarrior.