How far could you run when you started running?

Options

Replies

• fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    30 seconds, which isn't very far at all now I can run for about 3 and half miles aiming to improve on that!

same here :smile:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    To that tree. Then walk. Then to that yellow mailbox...etc.

I never measured. I suspect it would have been discouraging. But I just kept running and walking to realistic targets, until the walks got shorter and the runs got longer. Now I can run pretty far. :bigsmile:
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    When I started it half killed me to run a full 60 seconds on the treadmill. I completed C25K 16 months ago, and while I'm still not fast, I now have more stamina than I have time to run. My longest run to date was about 15 miles.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    in April this year, I could manage around 25 seconds before needing an air ambulance. One last shot at c25k later, and today I ran 15 miles for the first time in my life.

serious..if i can, *anyone* can.
  • nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Started running about 3 years ago at 48, never run much before. Now I have completed 4 marathons, a slew of halfs and I am training for a 50k in March.

I joined a running group that would get me past those first couple of miles that I still dislike. I probably would have quit if I hadn't joined that group.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    30 sec. Now 1 minute. 1 mnth ago 15 minutes. Getting back into daily exercise again this week.
  • nomsquared
    nomsquared Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    A year ago, I was jogging/walking (mostly walking) 2 miles in 40 minutes. Now I do 3 miles in 30 min! And once or twice a week, I do 6 miles in an hour.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I could barely run for 3 min straight. That was 18 mo ago. Today I ran 7 miles.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Run? I could barely walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded. I started on the elliptical machine for about 10 minutes. I've completed a half marathon but am now sticking to 5 to 10km runs as I like those the best.
  • enigmachik
    Options
    When I first started running I could only run to the next light pole. I have no idea what the distance is between light poles, but I know it isn't much! lol. Now I can run five miles :)

PS. Before I could run from one light pole to another, I could barely walk. In the beginning, I could only walk about a quarter of a mile before I was exhausted and my feet were killing me. I used to carry bus money in my pocket and only walk along the bus route just in case I became too tired to walk home! Now I can walk for hours before I get fatigued. It's amazing how quickly our bodies can improve!

*edited to hide idiotic spelling errors. hehe. :)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I love to tell this story. When I first started running, on my own, not in PE or sports, I ran around the perimeter of my apartment complex. It was maybe 500 yards, at most. I suppose if someone were chasing me, or a coach was yelling at me, I could have done a bit better, but not much.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I could barely run a minute without being out of breath and having chest pain.
    Now I am can run for over an hour - I have done about 8.5k, but really haven't focused on distance in awhile.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I could only run for about 30 seconds at first. I did my first 20 minute run last week. Still working my way through C25K.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    My first ever run, sometime around last October, I went for 4 miles and TOTALLY shocked myself, lol. BUT, that only happened because I had been working out like a crazy person on the elliptical for over half a year and had built up a bunch of endurance for running without realizing it. Now, my longest run to date is just over 12 miles.
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I couldn't do the C25K program. I had to train to do a training program. :sad: I started with running 100 steps then walking 100 steps. At first I could only do that a few times before I was ready to die.
    As time when on and I trained more and more I get better! :-) My first 5K was completed in 44:58 I finished my 10th!!! in 31:22, and I ran the entire time!!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    When I first decided to start running I hadn't heard of C25K and maybe my longest run as about 1/8th of a mile. The first time I ran a mile was a HUGE accomplishment for me since it was the first time since little league.

My longest run to date with just a tiny bit of walking sprinkled in was 7 miles. I was running my app told me I had gone 3 1/2 miles and I had to run BACK to my car.

I got hit with PF and I'm slowly building my distance back up as I get back into the groove. In fact I have a 5k tomorrow morning and once I'm done it's about a mile to the bar and we're running there to get our free beer. (Yay beer)

My cardio would allow me a lot longer that I should be attempting on my foot right now. I have a race tomorrow. A 5K and a 1mile on new years day and then nothing until march unless I sign up for that superbowl sunday 5K which I probably will because I'm stupid.

I'm going to start training for a half marathon in the mid to late spring so I'm ready for one in early fall.

I over trained because I didn't understand you have to train up the rest of your body around your lungs (cardio). Couch to 5K is an excellent way to train up. There's even a couch to 10K you could start when you are ready.

Have fun and good luck.

Oh my best 5K time was 29:12 and that was the day after we did the warrior dash
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My first run was in May 2012 and I could just run 7 minutes (complete with a wheezing fit!). I continue to run until August consistently and got up to 5.2 miles! Granted, it took me nearly an hour and a half to do that lol. I just signed up for my first 5K race (Jan. 20th!) so I've been trying to run, but I've got some left knee pain that I hope goes away soon..
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    1 mile and I was gasping for air like I was dying. I LOL when I think back to that day in SEPTEMBER 2012.... heheh I've come a loooooong way.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I went 20 minutes the first time I tried it (since about 10 years ago), to my disbelief. That would have been about 1.75 miles, I think.
  • soontobemeagain
    soontobemeagain Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i'm in my first week on here & i cant run yet, but i've started walking each day & my goal is to be able to run at least 3.5 miles.