Women Lifters - How many times a week?

Options
I am mainly a triathlete and also play soccer. I used to lift weights a little when I was bigger into soccer, but only about once a week or less. I've decided that I want to lift more, especially during the triathlon off season (which is now). During the season, I may only lift once a week, but for now, how often should I be lifting?

I figured I'd do legs one day and arms/shoulders/back the next. Should I do each once a week (two workouts) or more?

What do you do?

Replies

• meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Personally, I lift at least three days a week.
  • chefsmash
    chefsmash Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you are only going to lift once a week then do full-body; ideally you should do it 3x. If you are going to do a split, I would go push-pull-legs.

Compound lifts are you best bet regardless...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I do 3x a week.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I lift 4 days a week
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I do aquatic exercise for an hour twice a week and do about twenty minutes or so of lifting two or three times a week in between. I might do some calisthenics too.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I do try to do mostly compound. Okay, so I guess it makes sense to do full body if it's only once a week so that less time lapses between workouts. I'll do that during the tri season and for now, lift 3x/wk.

I was thinking three, so thanks for the confirmation.... i didn't want to do too little.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you are only going to lift once a week then do full-body; ideally you should do it 3x. If you are going to do a split, I would go push-pull-legs.

^^this is good advice.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I lift 3X per week...cardio 2X per week and flexibility or Yoga once per week.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I count it as 3 days, but it's one day in the weight room, one body pump class, and one kettlebell class.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I only lift (full body) twice a week, I hope it is effective since I do circuit training 5 times a week and run once a week.
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I lift 4 days a week 2 days 2 different leg workouts, and 2 days upper body. one day shoulders, biceps, and chest. Day 2 of upper body is Back and Triceps.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I lift 5 days/week (sometimes 6), but I'm trying to train for competition. As PPs mentioned 3x per week with a full-body workout is great. :-)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    3 days full body compound lifts. 2 days are 5x5 style close to my 1 RM max (75-95%), the other day is for higher reps, lower weight and relearning olympic lifts
  • katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Three. That gives the muscles enough time to rest....and my body time to heal to I can get back at it. Somedays I can barely walk or blow dry my hair I'm so sore.

I LOVE that feeling. So three is enough.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great info guys!!! I think I'll do three and maybe throw in a fourth if I'm having a good week!
  • estrobabe
    estrobabe Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    2-4x depends. As of lately I've been doing it twice a week (temporarily)
  • Lovingmyboys89
    Lovingmyboys89 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I lift 3-4x a week
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I lift three times a week (Sun/Tues/Thur) and IF I feel like it or can get the time, swim on the alternating days (although that has been on the wayside due to schedule at work and available hours of the pool) ... It gives a a full 48 hours to recover between lift days (currently doing SL5x5).
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Every other day, with an occasional week off just to let the body recover.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

^^this is good advice.

I third this, though it depends on what your goal is. Are you wanting to build more muscle/strength, or just maintain what you've got? You can get away with once a week if you want to maintain, but if you want to increase, go for more. Just be sure to give your body sufficient rest between lift days, until your body adjusts.

Personally I shoot for at least 2x, but my goal is 3. I try to do legs every time, then alternate shoulders & chest, then back the next session (push vs pull exercises). Also, I do almost all compound exercises and free weights as much as possible (I do use the cable cross for some stuff). Shame my shoulders have gotten so huge and I haven't done a single lateral or front raise. ;)