Should you eat even if you are not hungry?

Options
1235»

Replies

• mgarciar
    Options
    this is great to know. i am new to this whole losing weight process. so i am learning as i go. i used to not be very active and eat a lot. now that my eating and exercise habits have changed, i am definitely trying to learn more about my body and how to maintain my weight loss. if i sound a little absurd it is only because this is all new to me. i am glad that people like yourself can educate me a lot more. quote]
    yes, i did. there are some really great ideas, suggestions and research. i am glad to know that i will not go into starvation mode. lol i definitely will keep many of them in mind.
    im 5'4 :)
    Eating less than 1200 calories will NOT cause starvation mode if you're more than 10% body fat.

This makes perfect sense, i never go n2 starvation mode and always wondered why, my bodyfat % is high and i suspect this is true for a lot of ppl who don't strength train-- the MFP. Member who started this post may be short. She didn't list her height but i see her as pretty short and don't think she should " force feed"....esp not to the point of feeling sick.
    Oh Boy, ppl who feel nausea usually can't swallow.

Did you look at the responses to the post? If not, I suggest you do.
    [/quote]

'Stavation mode' in any context used (rightly or wrongly) is not a black and white line. In the context of a VLCD you run the risk of losing more LBM than on a more moderate deficit. It is not a case of 'going into starvation mode or not'. You don't lose LBM at one calorie level and not at 1 calorie more - it is a continuum. This is also true for hormonal imbalances and metabolic adaptation,
    [/quote]
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    No. Learning to listen to your body's own hunger drive is one of the more important things you can learn. Just like if you are hungry, listen to your body and eat some (healthy) food. If you are not hungry, don't eat.
    This is absolutely true the large majority of the time (obviously not in all cases). It's known as "intuitive eating".

This. I'm actually taking a class on this very thing right now. Learn to listen to your body and what certain cues actually mean and you'll be a lot better off!

For most people, that makes sense, but low-calorie diets can interfere with hormone production, especially if the diet is particularly restricted. This can cause people to not have any hunger cues while their body struggles for lack of nutrients and energy for basic functions.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    when I work out, I lose my appetite for hours afterwards. If I do three 30min sessions well that is pretty much the whole day of no appetite. I am learning to eat between workouts to counter act this problem.