How do you decide on your goal weight?

Options
When I started dieting I set myself an initial weight loss goal which I have now met. However, I'm not sure I'm quite there! I don't want to get as low as I used to be in the dim and distant past when I was in my 20s but am not sure what is right for me. I also plan to increase muscle which will mean more weight.

How did you decide on what goal was best for you?

Replies

• mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have a general goal,but I plan on stopping when I like the way I look naked!!!!!! And when I can wear a clingy dress without any spanx! That's when I'm done.Also,I remember how I looked at that weight before so it's a start...
  • I agree with the "how I look naked" comment. My goal is about body fat percentage and not weight. I also want to build more muscle and truthfully have no idea how a number on the scale will look when I reach my goal.
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Many thanks. The look good naked guide sounds good. I think I also need semi-independent (ie my other half!) advice as I never like the way I look and don't want to lose the curves!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    To me there won't be a point I've finished. It will be a point my goals change. I'm planning on having a goal range (currently between 65-70kg) that I can fluctuate within. But once I'm there I won't be stopping counting calories (planning on doing for the rest of my life. Not a hassle and keeps me accountable) but will be looking for new challenges.
  • Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Well, originally I weighed 130. At that point I felt comfortable with my weight but always felt I could tone up and lose a little more weight. So, I made my goal to be 120.
  • obwize
    obwize Posts: 102
    Options
    I go based on body fat percentage. And fortunately live near a place that I can get the bod pod test done for just 25 bucks. So when I lose a significant amount I can go back and make sure I'm on track, and if I gain muscle it'll take that into account and my body fat will be lower even at a higher weight.
  • ferrytrip
    ferrytrip Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I started with the goal of just losing weight. I figured that 200lbs would be a good place to start, that means losing about 90lbs. According to the BMI index I should be around 145 or 150 which I have never been as an adult. So I hope to get to 200 and then I will see about matching the BMI
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sadly right now my goal weight is whatever the military wants me to weigh. Which is based entirely on BMI and not body composition at this point in time(bummer since I'm naturally muscular) May not be a realistic goal for me but we'll see how close we can get.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Immediate goal is BMI from Overweight to Normal (so approx 1.5st to lose).

After that Body Fat from 36% (where it is now) to get it to 25% (good range for my age)... obvs it is coming down as the weight is coming down...

Already looking less tubby and core improving so I carry myself straighter...
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Going by previous weight.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    My goal is to be happy so I'm just losing weight until that happens
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Just based on where I felt at my best. My adult weight has varied from 11st4lb (154lb) when I felt too skinny and weak to 15st (210lb) which felt dreadfully overweight and flabby.
    12st7lb (175lb) was where I always felt at my best. Almost at that weight now and will then work at reducing body fat and increasing muscle bulk.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Originally my goal was to get into my pre-pregnancy jeans. I hit that target and can no longer wear the jeans as they fall down. So then my target was to get into my jeans from 10 years ago (I'm 35 now, and yes, I kept all my old clothes in the hope i'd be slim enough to wear them!). Now I can wear a lot of those old clothes. Well, they all fit, but I have a muffin top in some of them. So the goal now is to lose that muffin top and tone up. I am not that bothered what my weight will be when they fit, but my goal really is to be a UK size 12 in everything (US size 8) which I nearly am, and then i may adjust it to be a size 10 (US 6).
  • lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My goal is the top of the healthy weight range for now - I did have a BMI of 39, it's now 27 ish and my goal is 25. Then after that I will re evaluate what I look like and what is needed from there.
  • myrestlessfeet
    myrestlessfeet Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I base mine on BMI. When I started I was just a little over the boundary between healthy and overweight so my target was to have my BMI somewhere in the middle of the healthy range. Now my BMI is at 24.6 so I still have a ways to go.
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    BMI within the healthy range which is a fair way off (about 70lbs away! eek!)
  • amyc0128
    Options
    I based mine on the middle point of the BMI I will determine if I need to lose a few more when I get to that point.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    BMI is complete crap as a determinant of goal weight, since it can't account for body type. Find an online body fat calculator. If you're a female and you want some ab definition, you're going to need to be about 20% body fat or less - 14% for guys. The calculator will show you how much fat you'll need to lose in order to get to 20% and that becomes your goal. My BMI shows me as borderline obese!
  • toggerr
    toggerr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My goal going in to all this was to get down to 180 lbs; whether or not that is my "ideal weight" is very subjective. I have decided to let my body tell me what my right weight is. I am careful to eat right and exercise like I am supposed to and I figure I will end up where I am supposed to be. (I know this is utterly contrary to every dieting lifestyle out there but...)
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    My goal weight has been a moving target. First a guess. Then based on clothing size. Now based on BF%.....and I'm sticking with this!