Filling foods that are low calorie and not unhealthy

Options

Replies

• lotusspark
    Options
    kale, cucumbers, celery,onion ....there are lots of veggies that qualify.
  • lotusspark
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Gala apples! :love: Taste so much better the Red Delicious that I've been eating for decades. Plus a medium one has 5g fiber! When I work from home, my "brunch" is a fruit plate of 2-3 Galas plus2-3 servings of other fruits. Munch off that for 30-60 min and keeps me full for HOURS! Extra bonus: EXTREMELY low sodium so I have plenty allowable for dinner and snacks.

*Edit to correct a word
    i love braeburns. 80 cal per medium one. tart and sweet. :)
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    carrots. end of discussion.
  • Sailatsorf
    Sailatsorf Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love pumpkin seeds (without the shell). Low in sodium, has a fair amount of fat but nothing too bad, and a fair amount of protein. 140 calories in 1/4 cup, which is a lot more than it sounds like. Even 1/8 cup is plenty for me.
  • graveflower316
    graveflower316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Popcorn (no butter/oil)... you can eat as much of it as you want and it wont be many calories whatsoever!

Egg whites (3 egg whites are roughly 50 calories)
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options

May I ask how you stored it etc for the week?
    I would love to make a big pot of soup to last the week, but no idea what to portion it into and how to store it so it lasts the week.

As long as there are no animal products in it (butter, meat, cheese, milk, etc), it will safely keep a whole week in the refrigerator in whatever kind of container you would like to use. Most of the stores like Walmart, Target, Dollar General, etc around here have very large plastic storage containers that would work well. I'm sure stores similar to that in your area would carry something a large container like that.

I also have glass containers with snap on lids that are for refrigerator and freezer storage, both, and I will either divide the soup between the two of those and put one in the freezer OR (sometimes I've got something in one of them) I will store the soup in quart sized ziplock freezer bags. I write on the bag first with a marker, put the bag inside a wide mouthed jar or glass, ladle the soup in, pull the bag out and seal it. I place them flat in the freezer, stacked up. Once they're frozen you can stack them vertically to save space.

I made a huge VAT of soup this week, actually. It's so good!

I make a habit of keeping healthy soups and chili and casseroles in the freezer so I can quickly have a hearty meal after a super long run. If I didn't have those, I'd be more likely to eat something without the nutrient density I need after a hard workout.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Cantaloupe
    Watermelon
    Banana
    Salad
    Cucumbers
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for suggestions of foods that are somewhat filling and not "bad" for you. Currently, I'm on a carrot kick.

I've done relatively well with weight loss over the past year, but I've plateaued for the last couple months, in part because I'm just hungry more, so I eat (and admittedly, I don't always log it all -- but I usually do). I want to lose at least another 20 pounds, but it's getting harder and harder.

I'm looking for ideas of things to eat that will be satisfying without adding a lot of calories.

Sweet Potatoes, oh and uh... sweet potatoes. :)

Low calories, high in vitamins/nutrients. Enough carbs to keep you full, and you can cook and ear a large one. (skin and all for all the good stuff) and still be under 200 calories!
  • Jme03
    Jme03 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Canned pumpkin is fantastic & only 80 calories for the ENTIRE CAN! I like to stick mine in a blender with a little almond milk & pumpkin pie spice. The whole thing is about 100 cals & so filling I usually can't finish it.
  • Stdavis53
    Options
    Also, if your wanting super low cal, but filling soups...

I love making broth soups. Crazy low calorie and you can do anything with them. My most recent is:

8 Cups Reduced sodium Swanson Chicken Broth. (2 containers)
    1 cup Baby Carrots cut into thirds.
    1 cup Cauliflower cut into bite sized pieces
    1 cup Broccoli Florettes cut into bite sized pieces
    1 Medium Onion Diced
    2 Tablespoons minced Garlic
    2 Yellow Squash, halved then sliced.
    1 Zucchini halved then sliced.
    2 Jalapeno halved and sliced. If you don't like spicy, cut out the seeds/membrane or simply leave out.
    2 Cups high fiber low sodium lentils. (Could substitute split peas)

Simmer all the ingredients together until the Lentils are just starting to soften, about 30 minutes.

From here, you can either just have a healthy, low calorie soup, or you can do what I did and add precooked frozen shrimp for a bit of protien but barely adding any calories.

Either way, when the soup is done. I tear half a cup of spinach into the bottom of my bowl and pour the steaming hot soup over top, the soup will wilt the spinach for another big bump of flavor/vitamins

you can eat 1/5th of the pan and its only 170 calories...

Enjoy :)
  • Stdavis53
    Options
    Anything with a ton of fiber is going to be filling and keep you going for a longer period of time. Oatmeal is a great source of fiber! Super delicious & low in calories...try it out!

Cream of Wheat is great too. Even higher on some nutrients
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    If you like noodles...the answer: shirataki noodles!!! I will try to find the post to make it. It changes the taste/texture tremendously.
  • SenshiV
    SenshiV Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I like to have:

Sandwich thin wheat bread
    2 egg whites, or whole
    1 slice of ham diced
    about 15 ounces mozarella cheese
    1/2 teaspoon olive oil mayo

Make a sandwich, and it's about 200 cals, i think it's a good breakfast. Can use regular sandwich bread and add 100 cals.

You can also eat as many egg whites you want with a corn or flour tortilla it's very good too.
  • ingridmc1
    Options
    I really like the chobani with fruit cup. It has a lot of protein
  • jalysons
    jalysons Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • KelleyRob
    KelleyRob Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yoplait 100 cal vanilla greek yogurt, PB2 and apples. I use the yogurt PB2 mixture for a dip for apples. I also add some chia seeds to my yogurt PB2 mixture. YUMMY!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Avocados (just with a sprinkle of salt and eat with a spoon right out of its peel)
    Garbanzo beans (I like a 'salad' with garbanzos, avocado, grape tomatoes, and a drizzle of Italian dressing, yum!!!)
    Hummus (dip baby carrots, celery, bell peppers, chicken...)
    Almonds (Blue Diamond and Emeral both make all sorts of flavors, sweet, spicy, savory...all delicious)
    Raw spinach (really great as a salad base, has better nutrients than iceburg lettuce, also great on roast beef or turkey sandwiches)

All of those are high in fiber and protein, which make them good sources of energy and good for keeping you feeling full for quite a while. Yes, avocados have fat. But it's the 'good' kind of fat, and they are considered to be very good for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    To the OP, first off...you're doing awesome man! Secondly, I'm not sure what your calorie intake is, but I'm around 1,820. I'm doing a zone diet so I'm between 40-50% carbs and 20-25% fat and protein...I've found this ratio to be pretty good for me in terms of eating at a deficit but not feeling hungry. I try to keep it as close to 40/30/30 as possible, but sometimes it's difficult. I don't kick myself unless I go over 50% carbs. The protein and healthy fats you get at this macro ratio really helps to keep you feeling full.

In RE to my carbs, most of mine come from whole grains, oat meal, whole grain cereals, nuts, etc. most of my sugars come from fruits and vegetables. While not completely absent from my diet, I don't have much in the way of processed sugar..candies, sodas, etc.

Fruits and vegetables with high water content or high fiber seem to work the best for me in RE to feeling full longer. I also eat a lot of lean protein...not just at primary meals, but throughout the day. This really helps to keep me feeling full without loading up on calories...and it keeps my macros in line.