Dads: would you let your son wear skinny jeans?

Options

Replies

• shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    That video is crazy. I believe people should wear what they like and feel comfortable in. I have lived in some very "hipster" areas; Seattle Wa and Long Beach Ca, most of the hipster guys there wear skinny jeans but they don't wear them like that.... I am not quite sure what this guy was thinking.

I do think that sometimes they can get a little too tight and it ends up looking like they stuffed their jeans... :laugh:

BUT for the most part i think they look good and I would't forbid my children to wear anything, as long as they still were dressing appropriate for their age.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    to your title... Skinny jeans are fine...

however it doesnt relate to the video... they are not skinny jeans! they are jeans which dont fit...worn in a really ugly way... noone wants to see your pants! (meaning pants in the British way... )
  • tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My son wears skinny jeans but only because he is sixteen, six feet tall and has a 27 inch waist. He needs a boys waist size but a man's length. They look like regular jeans on him because he is so skinny. Would I allow them if they looked on him like most guys that wear them. Heck no!!!!

BTW, my son's underwear are covered up. I think that's really the biggest issue this dad had with his son.
  • MusicInMyHeart
    Options
    My rule is you can wear what you want when you start paying for it.

Good rule to have!
  • LMick1986
    Options
    It has nothing to do with the fact they are skinny jeans. I mean, wranglers are basically the same thing. It's all in how people wear the jeans. Any pants you sag, with shorts underneath, underwear showing is obnoxious (just like this dad).
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am sorry. Tigerblood is not a dad. That much is clear.
    If parents could control their children perfectly and easily, would 90 percent of adolescent girls be allowed to dress the way they do?
    There are so many battles to fight. I think there are many more important ones. Much as I dislike the look of skinny jeans, I am gonna let that rather unimportant one go, and focus on reinforcing the important behaviors, like being polite and studying.
    Really sorry the look offends you so much, OP. But, spend your time worrying about more important matters.
  • bennysammysofie
    Options
    Im not into the jeans that hang around your *kitten* but being a RICHARD to your kid is probably not the best way to go about it. If you agree or applaud the dad, youre probably a RICHARD too. What a great way to handle your family issues...youtube. Very effective.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    yhose are not skinny jeans
    skinny jeans are fine
    but they are supposed to be fitted around legs, not short and failing to reach waist

LOL exactly!

I'm European, we don't wear much other than Tight leg and Skinny jeans...We just make sure they fit properly!!
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've already decided that when my son gets to that point in his life (he's almost 2 now) He can wear anything he wants within reason, and when I start to think it is getting out of hand, I am going to dress/talk JUST like him. LOL
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I applaud this dad:

http://youtu.be/YUUUwqQLCFE

You do? A yeller and insulter for a father? Maybe the dad should focus on picking up the *kitten* in his home and make it look decent. Plus, look at the SIZE of that dad! Maybe he needs to whip his *kitten* into shape with some healthy food and a workout instead of yelling at his kid like that.

The son should make his dad stand with his arms raised so he can see how out of shape he is and do something about it.
    How do you know that father isn't a member here..and trying to be healthy? His son looks stupid with those jeans....I don't think putting that video out for the world to see was a good idea....but otherwise good for him.
  • XxXWhitneyShereeXxX
    Options
    Not a dad but i'm a mother to 2 sons, and hell to the no will they be wearing skinny jeans >.< I just don't think they look right on boys and what makes it worse is that now boys want to wear the skinny jeans while still showing their *kitten* (undies) they look stupid imo
  • stewartcarden
    Options
    heard a wee possible urban myth about letting your trousers sag showing underwear

apparently in prison thats a signal that you wish to have sexual adventures with other inmates
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dad, obvi, but while they live under my roof, as long as they aren't trashy or revealing, I'll let my kids wear whatever they want. I'll just take lots of pictures so I can display them at their weddings and embarrass the hell out of them ten years after the fact. :laugh:
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dad, obvi, but while they live under my roof, as long as they aren't trashy or revealing, I'll let my kids wear whatever they want. I'll just take lots of pictures so I can display them at their weddings and embarrass the hell out of them ten years after the fact. :laugh:

I like this approach! lol
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    No kids here, but I would be teaching them to dress for success at all times. "Skinny jeans" do not equate to that. Nice dark jeans with a crisp shirt, or some nice tailored clothes, but not skinny jeans. To be fair, not baggy jeans either. Clothes should fit smartly.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    My 11 year old nephew wears them. he says it "gets all the chicks". Which crack me up. hell, his uncle and i both wore yhe giant Tripp pants at his age. why not?

(i may be biased but i think hes twenty kinds of adorable in them).
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    Skinny jeans are the full length equivalent of a Speedo , which in turn is the biggest fashion faux pas a man can make (unless swimming is his JOB)
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    We let our son wear skinny jeans although I let him know that I didn't think they were a good idea. It was a very short phase and he moved on to regular jeans. I only put my foot down on issues that I consider truly critical. One area that we don't compromise on is the underwear hanging out. He's got some shorts that do sag a little bit, but I told him that I'll have him wearing suspenders if I see underwear hanging out under a shirt.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    We let our son wear skinny jeans although I let him know that I didn't think they were a good idea. It was a very short phase and he moved on to regular jeans. I only put my foot down on issues that I consider truly critical. One area that we don't compromise on is the underwear hanging out. He's got some shorts that do sag a little bit, but I told him that I'll have him wearing suspenders if I see underwear hanging out under a shirt.

I agree with this 100%. Being a parent is exhausting enough without nitpicking over every little thing your kid does that you don't like. Besides being a pretty-much guarantee that you'll lose your sanity, it's the quickest way to ensure that your kid will resent you and be all that more likely to rebel against the more important things you try to teach him. Pick your battles!