Couch to 5k challenge anyone?

Options
I used to be able to run a whole 5k without stopping. Now I can barely manage 6 minutes without dying and collapsing in a heap. I'm planning to start the couch to 5k challenge tomorrow using the C25K free app on my iphone. It's an eight week programme, three times a week for 30 minutes and combines walking and jogging intervals.

I'll be running at home on a treadmill but I'd welcome company from anyone who wants to try it with me indoors or outdoors. Anyone interesting in joining me on this challenge? Please. :)

Replies

• guestkate
    Options
    Hi! I'll join you, although I've already started. I'm currently in Week 5 of the NHS (UK) C5K programme. I'm loving it but I find it very, very tough. I struggle to find people online who've found it as tough as me! (to give you an idea, I did 9 runs, not 3, in Week 4 before I could finish it). This week I'm facing a 20-minute run at the end of the week and I'm absolutely bricking it!

I couldn't run a minute when I started. Now I'm running 8 minutes (just!!), so I'm pretty pleased with myself! If you can do 6 minutes already you'll be fine.

I run on a treadmill indoors because at the moment I live in Malaysia and there's no way I'm running outside!

Good luck!
    Kate
  • gem6885
    Options
    I'm actually starting Day 1 today! :)

I usually do a bit more than they have beginning in the program (I'm at about 5 minutes straight jog/run), but I'm still going to start from the beginning and do the whole program. I'm also going to be using a treadmill for now until the weather warms up a bit - there's an awesome trail that goes down to the city (Philly) and all around the suburbs I've been wanting to get further on.
  • shortnerdy
    Options
    Add me :) I NEVER done a 5k, and am training for one in March plus the Warrier Dash in July
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    hi there I did this last year and it helped me a lot but over the last few months and with getting shin splints have restarted again but my 5k is 9 weeks and week 1 was slow and at times hard to do but dit it and not getting ready to start week 4 and hope to get back to my normal running so stick with it you can do it feel free to add me
  • salsagal36
    salsagal36 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm also starting this. Doing a variation of it with my personal trainer but I'm going to start it again from the beginning on the days I don't train with him. I'm finding just trying to jog for a minute hard so I think it's going to be very tough. I could use all the support I can get.
  • Pixie8504
    Pixie8504 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am doing it. I will be starting week 5 today.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    the program I'm using is 9 weeks, and I'm in week 5 right now - for the second time. I repeat weeks until I feel ready to move on to the next one.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I'll join you. I've been doing this for while off and on but have had a difficult time getting to gym three times per week, so am still stuck on week 2. I have been working out more at home and running outside is too dangerous and cold for me right now. But I really do want to do it and am ready to give it my all after Xmas. I'm still going to be in a holding pattern with one or two gym workouts until after Dec. 25 but that should be fine because I should be roughly where you are in a week or so.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'll join you, although I've already started. I'm currently in Week 5 of the NHS (UK) C5K programme. I'm loving it but I find it very, very tough. I struggle to find people online who've found it as tough as me! (to give you an idea, I did 9 runs, not 3, in Week 4 before I could finish it). This week I'm facing a 20-minute run at the end of the week and I'm absolutely bricking it!

I couldn't run a minute when I started. Now I'm running 8 minutes (just!!), so I'm pretty pleased with myself! If you can do 6 minutes already you'll be fine.

I run on a treadmill indoors because at the moment I live in Malaysia and there's no way I'm running outside!

Good luck!
    Kate

dont worry about your pace, just concentrate on the distance, even if you 'run' at walking pace!
  • UmMasud
    UmMasud Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Oh, so many people to keep us company!

Please do post everytime you do it. Tell us your speed, time, and anything else thats relevant. I'm actually really apprehensive of starting. Part of me thinks I'll never be able to finish. Although I have done a 5k before in my life, I've always found cardio hard. And always struggled with endurance when it comes to running.

I'm planning on starting off with a 5 min warm-up walk, then alternating 60 seconds of jogging nad 90 mins of walking for the rest of the 25 mins. Wish me luck!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the program right now, too. I'm just starting Week 5. I'll be here to encourage everyone!
  • kellyrfree
    Options
    I am going to start today! Yay, good post :-)
  • gem6885
    Options
    OK did the first session today - starting with 5 minute warm up then 1 minute run, 1.5 minutes walk until 20 minutes.
    - warm up and walking speed was 3.5
    - Increased speed each running interval from 4.6 up to 5.1
    - 1.29 miles/20 minutes
  • kkrawczak
    kkrawczak Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in, just started yesterday! :-)
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I am doing the Zest C25k plan: http://www.zest.co.uk/running/train-for-a-5k-run/14-2.html It is a little bit gentler than the NHS one, although I intend to do the NHS one once I've finished. I am asthmatic so wanted to take it very steady.
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join - I've been thinking about doing this again (I made it to week 5 a few years ago and then stopped, who knows why now) because all my gym classes at the uni are done until next semester starts (not until Feb 1st or so) and I'll be at my mom's apartment for several weeks and she has a workout room with some treadmills. It's a good time to start it up again! I've been doing just a bit of jogging while I'm at the gym and I can do a 12 minute mile, which I know is horrible, but should give me a good base to go at the c25k.

Any suggestions for ipod c25k programs?
  • TheNewJFR
    TheNewJFR Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I can start it this week. With this new snow, I need to grab a Planet Fitness membership...have to transfer it or something.

I am downloading the app now. I also see a 10K which I will download for inspiration!!

I did a marathon in 2001, so it is time!!
  • kt3mac4
    kt3mac4 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Today I did the first day of week 3. I did the first two weeks walking at 4 mph and running at 6.5 mph but was having trouble getting through the workouts. Today I knocked it down to 3.5 mph walk and 6.0 run, while it was still a challenge, it was definitely more reasonable for me.

What are people using as their running and walking mph?
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Today I did the first day of week 3. I did the first two weeks walking at 4 mph and running at 6.5 mph but was having trouble getting through the workouts. Today I knocked it down to 3.5 mph walk and 6.0 run, while it was still a challenge, it was definitely more reasonable for me.

What are people using as their running and walking mph?

Over the weekend I finished week 4 and was typically around 8 min/km pace for walking and 5 min/km pace when running. I think that translates to 4.6 mph walking and 7.5 mph running. Since I started C25K I track everything in metric and minutes per km.
  • kmccormick42
    kmccormick42 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You can definitely friend me. I've never been a runner - still not - but I'm on day 3 of week 3. So far, I've only had to run for as long as 3 minutes at a time. There is a 5k on January 19th that's a fundraiser for my son's elementary school and I would really like to be ready for that.