How far could you run when you started running?

Options
124»

Replies

• sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    It's a long story, but once I decided I wanted to be able to run/jog a full 5k, the way I set about "training" for it was pretty simple. I went to a trail near work on my lunch break one early July day. When i got to the bottom of the huge hill you go down at first, I decided to see how far I could run until I couldn't go a step further. I made it 1.2 miles. The walk from my office to and down the hill was about .8 of a mile. So here I am, 2 miles from my office, it's about 90 degrees and I am feeling like I'm going to throw up. I had to walk all the way back (needless to say I was LATE). I used that as my benchmark and wouldn't settle for running less than that distance from then on.

I had to learn about pace, and overuse injuries, and HEAT the hard way. But I'm a running addict now!!! Half marathons are my favorite!!

Good luck!
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I usually walk 500 yards then run 500 yards, then walk a wee bit more (until i stop being so short of breath) and then go for it, i can run about a mile doing that. Well now i can run two miles (after the initial 'warm up' )

I am hoping to up that to 3 miles in the next few weeks, i aim to run about 7 miles in about an hour and a half by the end of January and then just work on that every other day. I would love to run a half marathon but really weekend mornings are the only time i get to run for any great lenght of time, an hour is really my limit, though i may be able to push it to an hour and a half when i start running in the morning.
  • mrso97
    mrso97 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    just started running mid november...i am using the c210k app...i volunteered to do a 10k in march...i am getting way better...just finished week 5 day 1 and if you had told me 5 weeks ago i could run that far ( which isnt much) i would have told you that you were nuts!!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    When I first started trying to run a bit on my walks, I could cover a stretch of about .2 miles and that was a challenge. My longest run since starting c25k this year is 6.5 miles. :smile:
  • Kaymart79
    Options
    My longest run was a 5k and that was about two years ago. I really wanna start running again, after I finish the insanity program ill probably start again. Maybe train for a 5 or 10k and move up from there.
  • 39esw53
    39esw53 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Back in July I struggled to make it through the first couch to 5 k training session - maybe 30 - 60 second run.....it took me 3 weeks to get through the first week.
    My long run this week was 9 miles. I was able to run this without stopping. I am certainly slow and steady right now but am happily well on my way to a respectable 1/2 marathon in April.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Then: A block or so outside, a few minutes on the treadmill? I'm not entirely sure.
    Now: 8miles is my highest so far. I run 4-6 regularly. Did 7 yesterday.
  • mmcgille
    mmcgille Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Started this summer barely able to do 30 seconds...and this week I ran 3.5 miles non stop!
  • rukcus
    rukcus Posts: 58
    Options
    I think it matters what your definition of running is. When I first started the c25k It was a struggle to get to run 1minute/6KPH. My running speed now is a more like a jog and my best now is 25minutes/9.5KPH.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I could run .15 miles before dying for air. Now I can run about 2 miles. How far could you run when you started running and how far can you run now?

About 100 feet.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I don't know how far I could run because I was doing c25k. Running 30 seconds that first week was pretty darned hard though.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I could run .15 miles before dying for air. Now I can run about 2 miles. How far could you run when you started running and how far can you run now?

My first run out, I went 2.5 miles without stopping. I had been only doing kettlebell exercises and wii fit prior to that run. I was 39 and had never ran in my life, ever. In October I finished my second marathon.
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    about 2 minutes. Furthest I've run is 8 miles (during my current half marathon training)
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    In May of 2011, I couldn't run for 30 seconds at a time. By the end of the summer, I was running 5k without stopping. Within a year, I had done a half marathon. I'm now working on marathon training, as well as dozens of obstacle races of all lengths.
  • CoronerKris
    CoronerKris Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    maybe a quarter of a mile, now i do between 8-10 miles
  • mowree
    mowree Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    About .2 of a mile when I first started. Now, can run a little over 3 miles.