I need lifting gloves.

Options
I'm looking for lifting gloves, what do you recommend?

My hands are really small and get sweaty, I'm not having any problem with blisters or any thing. I just need something that will help keep my hands from slipping. Since my hands are small I don't get a real good grip on the dumbells, add padded gloves and I can't hold on the dumbells at all. I have to lift with dumbells since I don't have acess to a barbell. I need someone to recommend a good pair of gloves.

Replies

• crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    i just buy them at olympia sports. i go through like 5 to 6 pair a year. i have tried the expensive nike ones. they rip out just as easily!!! i shick to the Harbenger ones.
  • soliddreams
    Options
    There's been some studies that suggest that gloves can actually weaken you (everything starts with the grip!) and as you progress to heavier weights, etc, you can end up hurting yourself.

There are other things you can get, I like to use wrist straps, which are basically just a loop of tough cloth that you wrap around the weight and it takes some of the stress off. They're cheaper, and they also tend to last much longer than gloves!
  • kenhelms17720
    Options
    Harbinger makes some good gloves, I have always had good luck with them on heavy days.
    But like was said above, there have been some studies that show that gloves can hold back your grip strength and sometimes your technique depending on how padded they are.

Have you tried using chalk?
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I use the Harbingers but buy a men's small. The men's gloves have more padding.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If grip is your issue rather than callouses or blisters, get a bottle of liquid chalk. No mess. Much improved grip.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED gloves...I use chalk...I have heard in the US some gyms do not allow chalk use...no idea what else to suggest, other than that, I do not use gloves, never have and I sweat loads : )
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I just need something that will help keep my hands from slipping.

chalk
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with callouses, not the grip. I just need a tad bit of skin protection and find that golf gloves are perfect. The thin, tight fitting work gloves also work well for me.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    There's been some studies that suggest that gloves can actually weaken you (everything starts with the grip!) and as you progress to heavier weights, etc, you can end up hurting yourself.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

Wait, this was a joke post, right? It wasn't? WOW!!!!

To the OP, as mentioned before, Harbingers are readily available in pretty much every sporting goods store and are generally very good. Do NOT by GoFit, or whatever the brand is called that gets endorsed by Biggest Loser. I find pretty much everything they sell to be utter garbage
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If grip is your issue rather than callouses or blisters, get a bottle of liquid chalk. No mess. Much improved grip.

I used to use chalk but felt like I had to be sneaky about using it as my gym is more of a 'fitness center' even though they have power cages and squat racks so I was not sure if it was allowed. I ended up getting liquid chalk and find it works really well and actually I don't rip my callouses at all when I use it, which used to happen with chalk, plus my callouses are getting smaller now.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I wanted some before too...I tried my moms and i HATED them! I just could not lift as much weight with them, as i could without them it seemed... But if you were going to get some, i'd say get really thin small ones so you can still work on your grip!
  • Jewelforyou
    Options
    I have small hands as well. I started using gloves because I was getting calluses without them. I have been using this kind for a few years now and LOVE them. They fit great and are comfortable. They are Harbinger and this is the specific one I use.

http://www.amazon.com/Harbinger-FlexFit-Weight-Lifting-Gloves/dp/B002GNZT6E
  • soliddreams
    Options

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

Wait, this was a joke post, right? It wasn't? WOW!!!!

To the OP, as mentioned before, Harbingers are readily available in pretty much every sporting goods store and are generally very good. Do NOT by GoFit, or whatever the brand is called that gets endorsed by Biggest Loser. I find pretty much everything they sell to be utter garbage

Here, you try it out.

Get your bench up to 315 (or some other arbitrary number) and do it with gloves.

Then do it bare handed. See if it hurts like crazy. Your hands will adapt just like every other body part, and if you never give them anything and instead rely on mechanical tools to get by, then they never get stronger and won't be able to handle it.

So, yeah. I'm serious, and pretty much everyone I know agrees (including MANY of the top power lifters). It's cool though, I guess I dont have enough lols in my posts.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Maybe the best kind of gloves are the ones they use in Olympic weightlifting or powerlfting competitions. Oh, wait..
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Don't hate on the gloves. Many gyms ban chalk and I get serious callouses that rip and bleed on deadlift days without gloves.

And it's a choice, not your problem. I am so very sorry you don't like it, but this thread wasn't for you, was it? You are just trolling and on contributing to the OP's request.

EDIT: Before you try to continue the argument, check the last line on olympic weight lifting gear, from the olympics themselves.
    http://www.olympic.org/weightlifting-equipment-and-history

"Weightlifters may use special gloves to improve their grip on the bar."

Oh, but we weren't talking olympics, just some random person in the gym. (no offense OP)
  • soliddreams
    Options
    https://www.google.com/search?q=olympic lifters&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&authuser=0&ei=PmLOUIf4EMeGyQGNwICADw&biw=1920&bih=888&sei=QmLOUNPhBunkyQHS0IGgCQ

Gosh, looks like a lot of chalk and wraps to me. I'm certainly not hating on gloves: I'm simply stating what many people believe, and offering alternatives. I've never had gloves that prevented me from getting callouses though, so that's kind of interesting actually.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of olypmic and powerlifters do not use gloves, and I think that should tell you something. At some point they are going to hinder your progress.

And as I keep saying, Liquid Chalk is an option for those who can't use normal chalk.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I've never had gloves that prevented me from getting callouses though, so that's kind of interesting actually.

Me either really, but it does keep them from ripping me.

I didn't know about the liquid chalk though! I will check it out!