Anyone here do yoga? (mini-rant included)

Options

Replies

• FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I think you and I don't visit the same forums. Cardio is the name of the game here in MFP land.

Not from what I've seen, lol. Seems like most people lift heavy and think you're wrong if you do anything different. But everyone has a different perspective on what's on the boards based on what they read and their own personal biases.
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I want to...does that count? I just need to find the right program etc. I'm a little intimidated by the whole thing.
    My workouts are 1/2 and 1/2 cardio and weights hard core at this point and I *really* need some stretching and flexibility.

I posted earlier today (but got no response) if anyone can recommend any good yoga sessions on DVD or you tube. I'd like to go to classes but I'm already really struggling with time constraints.

Try looking for Tara Stiles on you tube. I really like her videos. Though I'm definitely a beginner when it comes to yoga.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I do Yoga once a week, Power Pilates twice a week, and strength training with free weights also twice a week. I love this combination/routine because Yoga and Pilates keep me very flexible, loose and balanced, which are very important as we get older.

No, I don't find Yoga poses very easy, specially if I have been on vacation for few weeks. Ouch, it is hard to get back in tip form.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    If you're using the words "yoga" and "rant" in the same sentence, methinks you're doing it wrong. I spend a ginormous amount of time trolling.....errrr, I mean contributing to the F&E forums, and I don't recall seeing anyone saying yoga is easy or yoga is worthless. Yoga isn't lifting, sure. But doesn't have benefits? No one says that anywhere.

I wish I could link you to the thread I saw, but it was a week ago and it's too far gone. But there was a girl on here who started a thread about how she hated yoga and thought it was pointless. And a bunch of other MFPers chimed in and said yoga was useless in terms of exercise. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean the thread wasn't there.
    Methinks you're seeking out these mystical, yoga bashing threads.
  • _namaste_
    Options
    I practice hot yoga (primarily vinyasa flow) at least 5 times per week and have been practicing for just over 2 years. I love how it makes me feel inside and out. I love the strength, flexibility, full body workout. But I also love the breath it provides me not only in the yoga studio but also in day to day life. I won't ever stop doing yoga, it's just too amazing for me. :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Some yoga IS easy though. Yoga for relaxation involves a lot of deep breathing and laying still. Soooo.......

Some yoga is hard.

If you know your yoga is hard, who cares what anybody else thinks? In the end, your fitness and your results are going to be determined by your efforts. That's all that really matter,. not what anyone else thinks.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    i think yoga is the hardest workout that i do. it challenges me in a new way every time i do it. which is why i love it. but i think it is also intimidating to people unfamiliar; perhaps that is why it gets a bad rap (though i haven't noticed that it has).
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you're using the words "yoga" and "rant" in the same sentence, methinks you're doing it wrong. I spend a ginormous amount of time trolling.....errrr, I mean contributing to the F&E forums, and I don't recall seeing anyone saying yoga is easy or yoga is worthless. Yoga isn't lifting, sure. But doesn't have benefits? No one says that anywhere.

I wish I could link you to the thread I saw, but it was a week ago and it's too far gone. But there was a girl on here who started a thread about how she hated yoga and thought it was pointless. And a bunch of other MFPers chimed in and said yoga was useless in terms of exercise. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean the thread wasn't there.
    Methinks you're seeking out these mystical, yoga bashing threads.

Yeah, I remember a yoga dislike rant about 2 months ago..but nothing really recent. And if you saw one...well..you should see how many weight training bashing threads there are (especially when it comes to women and weight training).

And to note, I've not talked to anyone really into weight training that would bash yoga. In fact, a lot of them incorporate yoga now and again in their workouts. I think that a good mixture of exercises are really beneficial..not just one.
  • WandaWoman41
    WandaWoman41 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I will say that I'm fairly new to yoga. I tried a class in my 20's and didn't take it seriously. I was full of gas and was a novice compared to the rest of the class (quite a scene). I recently purchased a yoga dvd to increase flexibility and patience. I'm learning to appreciate it.
  • lioness0806
    lioness0806 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I was introduced to yoga through Bob Harper's video "weight loss yoga" and I loved it. Unfortunately, due to space constraints in my living room I'm no longer using the video (but still have it in a closet for someday).
    I started, recently, trolling youtube for ballet workouts. Same principle, strength/toning without heavy weights. At the end of my videos I' m drenched in sweat. And, even though I've only done it a few times, I found I have more flexibility.
    There's no right or wrong way to exercise. Everyone has to do what works for them.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Some yoga IS easy though. Yoga for relaxation involves a lot of deep breathing and laying still. Soooo.......

Some yoga is hard.

If you know your yoga is hard, who cares what anybody else thinks? In the end, your fitness and your results are going to be determined by your efforts. That's all that really matter,. not what anyone else thinks.

^ What MoreBean said. This isn't a competition or a who is right, who is wrong situation.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I know the thread of which you speak. The OP said she didn't get it or enjoy it, which is still a legal opinion to have in most states. Some others felt the same way. But mostly the thread was a ton of yoga lovers saying what they enjoyed about yoga and how they benefited from the practice. Like most things, people see what they want to see. I witnessed (and participated in) a pro yoga rally that went on for pages where you saw a Yoga Sucks thread.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Anyone who says everyone else's workout and fitness habits are wrong are wrong themselves. Do what is right and enjoyable for you. So, don't stress. :)

Signed,

A heavy lifter who really, really, REALLY sucks at Yoga and has crap balance :heart:
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hot Yoga has changed my life!!! It is the best thing I could do to de-stress! I eat better because of yoga and I feel absolutely fabulous after a yoga class! The regular (non-heated) yoga classes are good too but HOT YOGA really pushes me and has been a complete change in how I view exercise.
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I think you might be referring to this one :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816655-i-don-t-get-yoga?hl=i+don't+get+yoga
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I just started like a week ago, actually! :) The gym i go to offers yoga classes just about everyday, so now im making it sort of a goal to do yoga atleast once a week. I do weight lift, and i LOVE it, but i love how relaxing yoga is...And i agree, its not easy! lol, but it feels very rewarding, mentally and physically.
  • misskim80
    misskim80 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yoga is definitely not easy and i have seen guys in yoga classes to that prob would agree. It def takes time and depending on how stiff you are to.
  • babbs770
    babbs770 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love yoga! I have been going for a month, twice a week, and can feel the difference. My metabolism has gotten faster, and I am much stronger. Feel free to add me, I would love to have more yoga-friendly friends.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yoga is a collection of warmup movements/postures used for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallakhamb.
  • slywon
    slywon Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love the lengthening and strengthening of yoga!!