The Chinese secret to weightloss!

Options
After yet another evening of not being hungry after a trip to the supermarket, I have determined the Chinese secret to weightloss!

Sniff some durian, then the sacks of dried fish, then the pickled stuff that smells like stomach acid, then the dried sausages and other meats that have been sitting for hours if not days or even weeks (the flies are just a bonus). Still hungry? Doubt it, but if you are, taste one of the above items (except the durian which actually tastes decent despite its nasty sock smell).

Boom! No appetite for 1-3 hours even if you were hungry before you started.

Now, I have eaten A LOT of really great food here. I am not trying to be rude or culturally insensitive, but to a western nose these smells work as stated above.

Replies

• GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Ha! That is probably true!!! :)
  • dawLs
    dawLs Posts: 84
    Options
    Yeah, when I first moved to China, I lost a bunch of weight because the smell from many of the foods didn't appeal to me at all. After awhile though, I got used to it and gained weight!!!
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    What did that old commercial say? "Ancient chinese secret!".
  • tealover09
    tealover09 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    haha! The first day I was in Bangkok I ate two bites of ice cream for lunch (just because I was so hot) and a half bag of chips for dinner. After walking around the market seeing/smelling raw fish and chicken left out in 110 degree weather with thousands of flies walking around on them and smelling the durian and cat urine, I lost my appetite for weeks. Chips were pretty much all I could stomach for the first week. I had to eat something to take my malaria medication, so I would eat a few chips and then save the rest of the bag for the next malaria dose the next morning. Plain lays were the only safe thing I could fine in the 7-11s. When I could only find shrimp or crab clay pot flavor lays I wanted to cry. Eventually I got used to the food though...
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Yeah, when I first moved to China, I lost a bunch of weight because the smell from many of the foods didn't appeal to me at all. After awhile though, I got used to it and gained weight!!!

Yeah, gaining weight is pretty easy once you are used to the food. Everything is swimming in oil...
  • tealover09
    tealover09 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Actually, I was at my lowest weight ever, even after I was used to the food in SE Asia. I ate nothing but friend rice, fried noodles, instant noodles, chips and cookies and lost 5 lbs. After I got back to the states and was so happy to eat vegetables and meat again I gained 10 lbs instantly and have been working so hard to get rid of them. For some reason the oily carby food was my miracle weight loss plan.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options

Yeah, gaining weight is pretty easy once you are used to the food. Everything is swimming in oil...
    I guess that's why obesity in China is out of control.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Not to mention heart disease, hyper tension, and diabetes. :smokin:
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    uh BARF! that is gross!
  • wluck
    wluck Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Traditional Chinese cuisine might not appeal to westerners, and you can make fun of it all you want, but I'm sure others feel the same about American food.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    The Chinese secret to being skinny is communism
  • dtlam76
    dtlam76 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    haha I always thought the ancient chinese secret was shame, fear and revenge. I guess thats what it takes to make an iphone hahaha
  • dawLs
    dawLs Posts: 84
    Options

Not to mention heart disease, hyper tension, and diabetes. :smokin:

naw, the food was so cheap that for once in my adult life i could afford to eat three meals a day. oh yeah, and i drank A LOT of beer. oops!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    My grandmother taught me this Chinese secret. One word: Famine.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Traditional Chinese cuisine might not appeal to westerners, and you can make fun of it all you want, but I'm sure others feel the same about American food.

Which is why I said, the secret might only work on a western nose. Do finish reading the post before responding...
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    My grandmother taught me this Chinese secret. One word: Famine.

Ouch!
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You had me at durian *phew* it is tasty once you can get past the smell
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Interesting idea
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I live in Philippines and I totally hate the smell of durian and dried fish, they make my head spin.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I disgree. Having tasted natto (Japanese fermented soy beans (read - mouldy)) all I wanted to do was eat anything and everything that would get the taste of decomposition out of my mouth.