Tears for a Street Beggar

Options
JanieJack
JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
Tears are flowing...

At a stoplight one of "those guys" was begging for money with a sign that said, "Father of 2, laid off, desperate and humiliated having to beg. Please help."

I thought to myself, what a great con... that "desperate and humiliated" line is sure to reel in the bleeding hearts. You see, I stopped giving money to "those people" the time I had one tell me she didn't want a job, that she made good money begging on that spot. I've sometimes tried to give away food, but I've ALWAYS been told NO, they want money (most likely to spend on booze or drugs).

But then the Spirit pricked my heart. My eyes had been bigger than my stomach at Boston Market, so I had a whole turkey pot pie I was just gonna eat later. I felt led to ask him if he wanted it.

He ran over to my car and I was surprised that his voice sounded like any one of my professional coworkers...you know what I mean? With that educated military tone, not the usual "whino voice" I'm used to hearing. His eyes weren't dilated and high looking. His eyes lit up as he took the pot pie and my light turned green.

Stopped at the next light, I looked in my rear view mirror to see him gobbling that pie like he'd not had a bite to eat in days. And now I can't stop the tears. Somehow, I don't think he was a con. And even if he was, maybe... just maybe... God's love is now tugging on his heart.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/JanieJack/view/tears-for-a-street-beggar-457019

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Its tough dealing with homeless people, they often aren't capable of dealing with the little bits of charity we can do.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Thats the thing-If I have extra money on me (a rare occassion!) and they're not a street performer or something of the like then I'll by them food. A sandwich or something of the like, easy peasy. The gratitude it gets you is enough to keep you warm for days.
    I've only been able to do it once but I would love to do it again.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Sometimes they are legitimately down and need help. Glad you offered.

I don't give money for the reasons you outlined but will offer to buy them a meal. It's rare that any take me up on it.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    You're right...a lot of them will refuse food. For those, I don't feel quite as bad passing them by and saying that I don't have money on me.

But every once in a while, you find one who is really appreciative of anything you can give them. I live in a decent suburban area without many beggars, but one day I was shopping and saw a man being kicked out of a dollar store holding a can of beans. I went and did my shopping and when I came out he was chowing down on a plain can of beans. My heart broke. I went over to the nearest fast food place and bought him an extra large sandwich meal with fries and soda. His face totally lit up. I'll never ever forget his face. *Sigh*
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    When I lived in NY it was pretty easy to tell. I used to buy food and just give it to them. Not one ever told me no thank you. I think in places like NY and LA people go there to try and get away and often just find more of what they left. Given the times we're living in I think its best to give people the benefit of the doubt.
  • teryx123
    teryx123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    We are none of us so different as we would like to think. I few simple twists of fate and it could be anyone of us. I volunteered for over a year at a homeless kitchen as a lead cook. I got to know many of the guests very well. They are just as human as any of us, and I still count some of them as good friends. Some of them were truly remarkable people. I helped them all way beyond what the kitchen protocal dictated. I gave them food to take with them, coffee, and other supplies as we had them. I gave some of them rides when they needed it. When we served them I insisted that the staff treat them the same way they would treat a customer at a fine restaurant. I bought one woman a night in a nice motel for her birthday. It happened to be in august and the heat was terrible. She got a shower, an indoor pool, and a nice air conditioned bed for the night. Most importantly she got treated like she had some value. Nobody knew she was homeless. The next time I saw her she put her arms around me and started crying. They are just people.

I don't worry about being taken or conned. That is for them to worry about. They can settle it with whatever they consider God. If I can help someone I do, and then I forget about it. I pray that if I'm ever in need, someone will take a chance on me.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I have helped many people along my way. Years ago my late hubby and I offered a gent outside a grocery store a hot shower and lunch. He came home with us, got his shower and ate his lunch. He asked if there were some small tasks he could do around the house to help us out. He helped us for the afternoon and I gave him a hot dinner. We were not doing the best, renting a rotting house, using food stamps and our car was in need of repair. When dusk came he left. In the bathroom there was an envelope with $50 in it with a note..."You need this more than I do. Thank you.".