having a rough start

Options
Can't help feeling like I'm starving myself. Sometimes caloric intake seems unattainable. At this point I can't even afford a glass of wine, which I totally need to relax. I'm worried I'm gonna be a grump from lack of food. My husband is already worried. Any words of advice?

Replies

• foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    You really didn't give us enough info to help. Your diary is closed, and you don't tell us your stats or how many calories you are shooting for. The beginning can be the toughest, but if you are really miserable, you may be restricting too much. But we can't tell without more info.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    You really didn't give us enough info to help. Your diary is closed, and you don't tell us your stats or how many calories you are shooting for. The beginning can be the toughest, but if you are really miserable, you may be restricting too much. But we can't tell without more info.

agreed.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Ditto this ^^^
    Wine has a Ton of calories, but you should be able to fit in a glass if that is what matters most to you.

Watch the 'empty' calories. Pop, snacks, etc. Heck I had two of my son's graham crackers the other day and was shocked when I went to log it and realized I could have had one of my Shakeology meal shakes for the same darn calorie count! I'll be super careful with That one again!!!! Even if I have a handful of almonds I know its better for my body for the calorie count, and more filling than those crackers were.

So much is up to your choices, and yes how you are choosing.
    If its too restrictive you will give up. We don't want that for you!
  • crowunruh
    crowunruh Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Do you have your goal set to lose 2 pounds per week? If so, you may want to change it to lose 1 pound per week. This will allow you more daily calories. Also if you are getting in exercise you can eat back some or all of the calories you burned from it. My calories are set at 1200 and I usually eat back some of my exercise calories. I usually end up eating between 1300-1500 a day.
  • juliette28
    Options
    I also had a rough start, but it's because I was trying to eat 1200 calories (this was what was calculated for me based on my height and how much I wanted to lose). I wasn't getting enough exercise, and when I did, I didn't eat my calories back. It's hard to live on 1200 calories on a consistent basis and not feel VERY deprived. I was THRILLED to learn that I could still lose weight (I've lost over 30 since my "official" MFP start in August) when I started calculating in the exercise and eating the calories back...throw in a cheat meal every now and then and it is very do-able. Don't give up! You can do it! And the best thing is that it really will start to be a lifestyle change and not a diet... I have been overweight most of my adult life, and I wish I knew then what I know now. You do not have to starve yourself to lose weight ... and, in fact, you will lose more and keep it off if you don't try to do it that way. GOOD LUCK! :flowerforyou:
  • candy423
    candy423 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Start with a higher calorie count of around 1500... then bring ur selft down 50 calories per week till your at 1200... starting to dramaticly can cause failure quickly!
  • calamity71
    calamity71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Add some friends (I just sent you a friend request).

1200 calories a day is tough, especially if you are eating things high in calories. When you pick healthier items, it is easier to get closer to the 1200 calories. I also make it a goal to exercise 5-6 days a week and I eat back my calories that I exercise. This has been the only saving grace for me. I started off walking. Making little changes is what will make a big difference in your success. :)
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Start with a higher calorie count of around 1500... then bring ur selft down 50 calories per week till your at 1200... starting to dramaticly can cause failure quickly!

OP may not need to be at 1200. This could be part of the problem.
  • mthomp130
    Options
    Sorry, I added more info to my profile. I am 142 lbs. I have always exercised and continue to do so. I want to lose the 12 lbs I recently gained. They have me on a 1200 calorie diet. The bad thing is I started on the weekend and I take a break from exercise on the weekend because I workout all week for at least 1hr sometimes more. Since I'm not burning a lot of calories I can't take much in. Anyway, I'm learning its very difficult to count calories & my 13 yr son thinks I'm too obsessed for doing it. So that's my story and I'm always hungry!
  • candy423
    candy423 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If your always hungry your calories ar definitely too low... listen to your body.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising for an hour, you burn enough calories to eat more then 1200 and you should. It takes fuel for your body to sustain activity.