Muscle build up and age

Options
Would like to her your views on muscle build up continues upto what age ?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

In what context? As in can you gain muscle at any age?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You mean, when does male puberty end?

Or do you mean what age does ageing start to deteriorate lean mass?
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Bumping for later!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You should be able to continue to build muscle until you die. As long as you're in a surplus.
  • samdavis512
    samdavis512 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i
  • samdavis512
    samdavis512 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I MEANT TILL WHAT AGE MUSCLE BULID UP CONTINUES
  • AntWrig
    Options
    You should be able to continue to build muscle up until you die, as long as you're in a surplus.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    It will get harder with age as you are combating the other effects of getting old (joints, illness, natural decrease in bone density etc etc) but, with that being said, I am not aware of an age limitation. If you are asking about you in particular, there is no reason at your age at all you cannot.

She is 75 and still competes as a body builder:

original_zpscf1a4bf1.jpg

He is 81 - the UKs oldest power lifter:

article-2016880-0D152E9C00000578-667_468x372_zps61fe718e.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    You should be able to continue to build muscle until you die. As long as you're in a surplus.
    Will have to disagree with you here because testosterone levels have a lot to do with it. And aging definitely reduces it. That's why even some of the most muscular people will lose muscle as they age even if their nutrition and training were spot on. Now if there were enhancement.............

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Will have to disagree with you here because testosterone levels have a lot to do with it. And aging definitely reduces it. That's why even some of the most muscular people will lose muscle as they age even if their nutrition and training were spot on. Now if there were enhancement.............

IDEA Fitness member
    Well of course. That being said, muscle STILL should be built. Also, one could assume that test levels would be higher, cause the subject has been lifting for a long time. Well I assumed at least. :ohwell:
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I was wondering the same basic thing. I talked to a nutritionist about my goals a couple of weeks ago, and she told me that it is hard to gain muscle mass at my age. (43) I would love to be the weight I am now with single digit body fat, but that would mean gaining about 20 to 30 lbs of muscle. Is it possible to gain lean mass in your 40s? Are there any legal supplements that will help with that?
  • AntWrig
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I was wondering the same basic thing. I talked to a nutritionist about my goals a couple of weeks ago, and she told me that it is hard to gain muscle mass at my age. (43) I would love to be the weight I am now with single digit body fat, but that would mean gaining about 20 to 30 lbs of muscle. Is it possible to gain lean mass in your 40s? Are there any legal supplements that will help with that?
    Get your test levels checked.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

It is absolutely possible to gain lean mass in your 40s. It is important to keep your fats up as you get older, particularly Omega-3 fatty acids:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21159787

You may want to think about creatine but I am sure there are other peeps far more knowledgeable about supplements so will be better suited to answering that.
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and just started heavy weight lifting 3 months ago,took my bf messurments at the start and have lost bf% and stayed the same weight,to me this meens that I have gained muscle.so I would say you can gain muscle at any age,just might take longer than a 20 year old but still is possible
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

It's possible to gain muscle at any age, but the amount of muscle is easier to build when you're younger due to hormones. 20-30 of lean muscle over 40 is tough. Eating would have to be spot on, and training progressive each month.
    Most supplements (with the exception of creatine and protein) are pretty much hype.

IDEA Fitness member
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Also, realistically, progress is often slowed by inevitable problems with injury, recovery capacity, etc. Just means working smarter vs harder. I'm under 40 but am very careful with increasing loads for those reasons. Am learning to listen to my body & be patient.

That said, those are some inspiring (and hot-looking!) pensioners, Sarahuk2sf.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I am taking creatine, and protein, but until January 31, when I decide to try a bulk phase, I don't know how much it will help, due to my caloric deficit. I have heard creatine helps with strength gains, as well, though, which should help my development. I've heard that ZMA is supposed to help with testosterone, and rest, but I don't put much faith in it, and I think my testosterone levels are fine, still. I know my wife is usually quite happy with me. :smile:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Helpful.
  • michael300891
    Options
    Sorry but siding with ninerbuff on this one. Although you can still build muscle mass as you age it gets progressively harder to the point that, at best, your maintaining the muscle mass you have. Its a process known as Sarcopenia - if you dont lift/train then its very progressive and muscle mass will drop drastically each decade. Training with proper nutrition can reduce the rate of muscle loss but unlikely to boost it over 65/75 unless you havn't lifted in years or have limited functional capabilities.

Wikipedia may not be the best source but still: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcopenia
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    This is depressing. So, I am choosing to ignore all facts and just press on.