You're getting in...tell me how you got out...

Options
Of shape? Where/how did it start?

For me it's simple: I had been chunky ever since "forever". Not a healthy thing was cooked in my house growing up. Ate out a lot. I was picked on in school for being heavy, which led to me wanting to be homeschooled at 10 years old, i.e. even less exercise. No examples set from family on how to eat right or be healthy. My mom bought food that we could feed ourselves that was quick and easy, mostly because it's hard to cook for your kids when your out drinking, or hungover. I have major emotional issues with food, which are resurfacing lately, but that's coming to a stop as of tomorrow.

This followed me into adulthood, two pregnancies later and I had enough. I made the choice to get smart about what I ate and take exercising seriously ~ best day of my life :drinker:

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    simple MMORPGS.

As a kid my parents always gave me healthy food but never really talked about portion control. Once I was on my own, I stopped eating healthy, and just ate stuff like pizza, or ate out all the time with no regard to moderation. That with just playing video games and watching TV is a sure bet to get big.

Oh, how I got out. Grandfather had a stroke after double knee surgery. That was a wake up call, coupled with me being older than my father when he had a triple bypass surgery.
    I started running, you got to be in shape if your going to keep running.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I was the big kid too. My parents were in denial that I was overweight, and had no idea about nutrition or exercise (they still don't).

It pains me that it took me until my 30's to figure this stuff out, but better late than never...
  • norrishbex
    norrishbex Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Quit being a gymnast but forgot to stop eating as if I was training for hours every day.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I started putting on weight after high school. Told myself that I was just "growing" or "filling out".
  • SoopraBint
    Options
    as a teenager i have blood poisoning which damaged my left hip. as i got older the damage got worse resulting in me being registered as disabled and having a hip replacement when i was 38.

it was almost impossible for me to move let alone exercise so the pounds piled on.

i had a frozen shoulder (complication of diabetes) 2 years ago which resulted in me losing the use of my right arm completely and the loss of all my upper body strength. I had a small hernia repair in this time too.

the turning point for me was watching a music video and wanting to be one of the women in it. i'm now working towards having a body like theirs.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I was never super heavy but always on the verge of weighing more than I should. Like, upper end healthy body weight. I lost, got in decent shape at about 18, was at my lowest adult weight, 140. Then I just got lazy. Always ate trash, like you, no one in my family cooked "good for you" food. No portion control. No one ever told me I had had enough, now I see my parents raising another child...and allowing her to eat half a king size reese cup and cake and ice cream in the same day and think...it's gonna be the same for her. I just hope I'm around enough to keep her active.

it's no fun to be the chubby girl. i wish I had the initiative when I was younger but I didn't, until I thought that something was wrong with me and it was weight related. it wasn't...lol. But I'm glad for the trick god or karma or whatever played on me to get me to move my *kitten*.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I was skinny as a kid and when I got into my early 20's I started lifting weights. I packed on some muscle, but plateaued and didn't make progress anymore so I gave it up. I have slowly gained weight over the years but finally realized it was getting out of hand and accelerating. Fortunately I already have experience at lifting heavy and pushing myself, and enjoy the workout especially when I see results, and so I take right to it.

This is a new experience for me in one sense, like I said I used to lift but never to lose weight. I'm sick of having a fat stomach and I'm determined to get rid of it.
  • CasablancasTX
    Options
    My mom struggled with her weight after my parents got divorced, so that's when I started having weight problems. I remember being on a diet in 2nd grade and not getting to eat a cupcake that a girl brought in for her birthday. I yo-yoed up and down for years, weighing as much as 343 before I got bypass surgery. I lost over 100lbs and gained most of it back. Now I really have things under control and know that this time I will NOT gain the weight back.
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    I was a fat kid. My parents way of shutting us up was with food. Take a dollar to the quick store and get a fanta and a fudge round. I was 180 pounds by the time I was 15. That is when I started to change, sadly I made bad "diet" choices which put me in the position i'm in today.

Now 22 and bouncing between 130-160 over the last 6 years. Like every year I hope I can finally reach my goal.
  • GymChick8
    Options
    When I moved in with my flat mate. She was very overweight, had a shocking diet, so I slowly adopted the same habits. Then moved in with my now husband, enjoyed the good life. Slowly put on weight. Had my first child, lost a little, had my second, put it all back on again. Lost most of it. Then physically went down hill, needed a hip replacement, got depression, just ate and drunk myself into overweight mode again. Had my hip done, sunk deeper into depression, as having major issues with hubby ( long story).

Then last September I literally woke up, said enough is enough. And haven't looked back. Got myself a personal trainer, stopping drinking, changed my complete lifestyle around. I've now lost around 20 kg, 8 dress sizes and feeling great. I know I'll be able to keep this lifestyle up now. Still have the odd days ( like today), that I struggle a bit. That's why I'm back here again, need to reign it back in again. But this time I'm more aware of that, instead of just spiralling downwards.

Mel
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I was always the big girl. But I was so tall that my parents felt that it was okay and it was just "baby weight." Well, said baby weight never came off. But, I seem to have it figured out now.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I was very heavy as a child and that's because I was a bullied kid and so ate for comfort. When I left school I got my *kitten* in gear and dropped the weight and became a pub singer..it was funny how the bullies that were so vile to me wanted to be my friend.
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You guys are all awesome! Thanks for sharing...we can do this, piece of cake ~ that we won't eat -_- Hahahaha!!
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I gave up martial arts and softball after 6 or 7 years of doing both for theatre in high school...
    Got out of shape at 14 and never got back.
    Almost regret it, but not sure if I would give up those 'Drama Club' memories, heheh.