If I'm not "overweight" why do I look fat?

Options
2»

Replies

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Could you be confusing 'healthy' and 'ideal'?

Also, check out a waist-hip ratio chart/calculator.This might help give some perspective and help you see if you are just feeling big around the middle, or actually are!

While my BMI is towards the middle of healthy, my waist: hip ratio puts me almost into 'overweight' ( or whatever those charts call it). There is a history of heart problems in my family, and belly fat is part of the risk factor equation, so I recognise that for me, the lower end of the healthy BMI is probably safest.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Im 5' 2" tall my concern is whenever I use Omron it gives me 30% body fat. Im not sure if its healthy. Although I look fat in picture.

Ignore those devices, they are very inaccurate, If you have extra fat, and as you are within a healthy range, then I would suggest eating at a small caloric deficit of about 250 - 300 calories and strength training.

As an illustration, my home scales think I'm 25% BF, while my parents' scales think I'm 30%. I like to think I might be somewhere in the middle, but mainly I know it's just nonsense.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I think the mirror is the best judge..if you don't like what you see then change it..I was skinny fat last year, I was 100lbs with no muscle strength and a UK size 10 which isn't big but I'm 5 ft nothing. But I put on half a stone or more on holiday. Whoops.
    Now I'm 106 but with a bit of muscle tone ( I'm still working on it ) and a UK size 6. So strength training will really change how you look.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Im 5' 2" tall my concern is whenever I use Omron it gives me 30% body fat. Im not sure if its healthy. Although I look fat in picture.

Ignore those devices, they are very inaccurate, If you have extra fat, and as you are within a healthy range, then I would suggest eating at a small caloric deficit of about 250 - 300 calories and strength training.

As an illustration, my home scales think I'm 25% BF, while my parents' scales think I'm 30%. I like to think I might be somewhere in the middle, but mainly I know it's just nonsense.

I used one of those the other day and it told me I was 30%!. My hydrostatic test has me at about 20% which is consistent with 'eyeballing' it.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Several possibilities here.

First off... For your height, you could go down to 102 without being considered "underweight" although that would be, as you suggest, for small frame. You can measure your frame size at your wrist and do a search to find what measurements are right. If you are medium frame or above, 102 would of course be actually a little underweight.

Secondly, it is possible that your body concept may be askew. Some have a false sense of what a healthy weight should look like.

Thirdly and most likely, you may have lost weight via the old cardio + diet method. If this is the case, you most likely need to do some strength training. Many have alluded to this. It does not have to be expensive but I would suggest joining a gym (if you have not already) and stard doing some lifting (don't worry about bulking if you are female since unless you take hormones, you won't)... For the tummy, it is likely crunches will help bring that in... No, you cannot spot-reduce BUT you can tighten those ab muscles which will reduce your waist size.

Best wishes on finding your best body.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

I used one of those the other day and it told me I was 30%!. My hydrostatic test has me at about 20% which is consistent with 'eyeballing' it.

It's frightening how inaccurate those scales can be. I'd love to be 30% fat if I looked like you :wink:
  • ChadB74
    ChadB74 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I went off topic......sorry:blushing:
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I sure don't feel obese but that is what my BMI tells me. According to this calculator, I would have to weigh 183lbs to be considered "normal." to weigh 183 I would have to lose another 49 pounds! That's not happening :noway:

Your BMI: 31.5
    According to figures, your BMI puts you in the “Obese” range. This puts you at greater risk for diseases such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and heart disease.

It would be best if you'd clarify who you're replying to.
  • littlebutcurvy
    Options
    bump