Muscle build up and age

2»

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    This is depressing. So, I am choosing to ignore all facts and just press on.

None of the statistical advice/analysis depresses me, if you have the determination, you will get there. It may take a little more time, but you will... : )
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member

None of the statistical advice/analysis depresses me, if you have the determination, you will get there. It may take a little more time, but you will... : )

I obviously don't mean clinically depressed. I also am aware of the effects of aging. Building muscle mass gets more difficult, until, damn near impossible. But, that doesn't mean you can't be in top shape for your age.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    600055_10150831022112134_625011383_n.jpg
  • SanDiegoCasey
    SanDiegoCasey Posts: 130 Member
    I hope I die in my 90's and I hope it takes 8 guys to carry my coffin ;)
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    75-Year Old Female Bodybuilder, Ernestine Shepherd Still Going Strong

Ernestine Shepherd has gained tonnes of popularity over the net lately for being the world’s oldest female bodybuilder.
    http://fabodylous.com/2012/07/75-year-old-female-bodybuilder-ernestine-shepherd-still-going-strong.html
  • MLB71
    MLB71 Posts: 1
    I didn't start lifting heavy until the last 5 yrs. I graduated from high school 22 yrs ago at 148 lbs. I've hit 255 lbs twice with 34% body fat. Now at 41 my body fat is in the mid teens and I'm weighing in at 220 lbs. I'm lifting more than I could in my 20's and I'm getting stronger progressively. I'm not trying to uproot trees or pick up cars, but I'm getting stronger. I live an active lifestyle and my age doesn't feel like it's slowing me down. Statistics don't apply to everyone.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member

I treat it as a challenge!
    I was lifting double on some exercises than a couple of 18 year olds were in the gym on Saturday so it's a real feel good factor. I'm 52.
    I have to be more sensible and gains are slower. I can't squat, deadlift or do lunges due to various injuries and have to be careful with bench presses but I'm still progresssing.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    The day before my step-father died of heart failure in his sleep, he did 100 sit ups, 100 push ups and walked 5 miles. Even the EMT's that tried in vane it resuscitate him commented on how muscular he was.
    He was 73.

For me, my goal is simply to not lose much, if any, muscle while I'm losing weight. I have never had much upper body strength. The one area I have not increased lift strength much is in the arms, for curls anyway. But I have gotten up to 60# for 1 arm bent rows which has helped shape my arms more.
    Genes are a big part of it too. One of my nephews has a natural build that the average man has to spend hours a day in the gym to build. His father never works out but has massive arms.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    Thanks for the replies. I am taking creatine, and protein, but until January 31, when I decide to try a bulk phase, I don't know how much it will help, due to my caloric deficit. I have heard creatine helps with strength gains, as well, though, which should help my development. I've heard that ZMA is supposed to help with testosterone, and rest, but I don't put much faith in it, and I think my testosterone levels are fine, still. I know my wife is usually quite happy with me. :smile:
    Most supplements will minutely raise test. I used to be a supplement junkie taking up to 50 pills a day since I didn't want to use AS to gain mass. Spent a lot of money doing it and eventually learned that most supplements are just hype.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff

I obviously don't mean clinically depressed. I also am aware of the effects of aging. Building muscle mass gets more difficult, until, damn near impossible. But, that doesn't mean you can't be in top shape for your age.
    THIS. I still LOOK like I have a lot of muscle, but I know that I've been losing it slowly as my strength has be declining little by little each year. But I'm as fit as someone who's in their late 20's.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    600055_10150831022112134_625011383_n.jpg
    He also had some "help" with hormones.

IDEA Fitness member
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    I have to add another leg day! My wife said I have Chicken Legs :) But my arms and legs have always been disproportionately thin. That is why I got stuck with the nick name "Twinky" when I was in the USAF. Skinny arms and legs sticking out of a fat body.
    Now that I am half way to my goal weight, my legs are already about the size they should be when I get to my goal weight. Maybe a little thinner than needed to be proportional.
    An extra leg day might at least keep them from getting too twiggy.
    In a "match legs to body" picture puzzle, few would put my legs and torso pictures together :)