Has anyone had success with planning all food ahead of time?

Hi I am seriously struggling with following the food log and counting calories. I have a busy lifestyle and find it hard to keep track all day. I have weighed between 175-183 for the last 2 years and can't seem to get any weight off. I am thinking of planning my whole week of food and logging it ahead of time, and then looking everyday to see what to eat. Has anyone tried this and has it helped? Ugh I am so tired of being overweight and of not being able to get ahead!

Replies

• a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    I sort of follow this approach; not all week, but I sometimes log a couple days in advance. Mostly though, I just log a day ahead.

The reason being, for myself, is I eat a lot of the same thing during the work week. Or, I have certain perishable grocery items that I am trying to use up. It helps take the guess work out of what to eat and makes it easier to plan for certain events. If I know that it is date night or something, I can put all my food for the day in, eating light, and save enough calories for the date meal - checking the online menu ahead of time for Nutritional information.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 644 Member
    I pre-log. It saves time and helps my organise my eating. I also save a lot of meals as "meals" - that way it quick adds lots of components at the same time. Eg. bolognese (recipe saved) + pasta + cucumber + cheese. One click and dinner is done :)

I also often copy preivous day for morning and afternoon snacks. I'm a creature of habit.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    I pre-log daily and TRY to batch cook on my off days for the entire week. This approach seems to work for me.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    I plan all my lunches and dinners for the week on Sunday and while I don't prelog, all my recipes are already in here or I add them as I go, so it's easy to log when I do. I find that planning keeps me on track and I eat the same snacks most of the time, so I know what my day is going to look like. This helps for when I experience a craving for something not so healthy. Then, I know which days I'm lower in cals, so I can sneak something unhealthy in. That doesn't happen often though. I've gotten so used to eating non-processed food that I rarely crave junk anymore. I've lost 45lbs since July, so this is working well for me.
  • jemjemsh
    jemjemsh Posts: 35 Member
    If I plan at the start of the day or night before what I'm eating then I make way better food choices and find it so easy to stick to my daily calorie limit. Definitely works for me
  • Amazigh926
    Amazigh926 Posts: 33 Member
    I make a monthly menu plan, it helps me to know what I will be buying when I go to the store so that I can stick to my list, and it helps me to know how may calories I will be eating in a day so that I can add something special if I choose. I know a monthly plan sounds daunting and it IS difficult at first, but once you get a month down, the next month(s) will be easier because you know what you liked from the previous month(s) and you can just jot them into the days you choose on the calendar, for example: I always make sure I get at least two days a week of fish and at least one day a week that is meatless. The rest is usually something with turkey or chicken and maybe one day of beef or lamb per week. Good luck! :)
  • likepepsicola
    likepepsicola Posts: 117 Member
    I used to plan ahead of time, until my IBS went completely out of control and now I can't predict what I'll feel up to eating.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Hi I am seriously struggling with following the food log and counting calories. I have a busy lifestyle and find it hard to keep track all day. I have weighed between 175-183 for the last 2 years and can't seem to get any weight off. I am thinking of planning my whole week of food and logging it ahead of time, and then looking everyday to see what to eat. Has anyone tried this and has it helped? Ugh I am so tired of being overweight and of not being able to get ahead!

I pre-log in the morning, although I will generally try and plan what I need to defrost from the freezer the night before - so I will take out some chicken, or salmon and then figure out what recipe to use on the day.

I get to around 1000-1100 just on pre-logging for normal days depending on what I am doing in the gym, and then have some left over for snacks, fruit etc. up to my daily goal...
    Like another poster - I save meals/recipes to speed things up and tend to try and use up all fresh produce up before resorting to frozen stuff.
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    I do not prelog but I sketch out in my mind of on an index card what I am going to do for breakfast and lunch every day since that is my hardest time to plan for (aka the busiest time for me). I have tried to Pre-Log but find I get messed up if I have to go back and adjust things when I didnt eat things exactly as I stated beforehand.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    I tend to eat the same thing almost everyday. So, I stopped pre-logging a while ago. I know what my macro targets are, so I just go with that. I log at each meal.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Yesssss to pre logging and planning meals :) I do a weekly shop so I HAVE to be organised and it helps me make better choices :)
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    I always log the night before if I work the next day. I also cook in bulk and eat a lot of the same food day in and day out.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    I don't know about pre-logging that far ahead, but definitely a day or two or even just a part day is really helpful to me. I eat breakfast and lunch at work so I prepare those the night before and once I've logged them I can see how many calories I have left for dinner and snacks. Not many means fish and vegetables, but quite a lot can mean a nice pasta for dinner instead. Conversely, if I'm having tonight's dinner leftovers again tomorrow I can work my other meals around that. Planning and organisation is key!
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Pre-logging is a wonderful tool. It makes you accountable to what you agreed to with yourself when you planned it out.

To be honest, I find myself more satisfied this way, too. Because I can see what's coming up next to eat!! :)
  • I pre-log daily and TRY to batch cook on my off days for the entire week. This approach seems to work for me.

Yes, this works for me too - it is hard when working but it can be fun planning and cooking healthy lunches ready for work. Plus I'm a firm believer in having a good lunch to look forward to while at work. Hang in there - it does take a bit of effort and forward planning but it is completely worth it if you want to have a rockin' fit body!! :smile:
  • Yes, I do plan ahead a day or night before. It really helps me to break down my calories in a balance range. I tried a couple of times without planning and ended up mad regret with the junk which I stuffed into my mouth earlier...
  • Planning ahead has always helped me.
  • Black_Assassin
    Black_Assassin Posts: 3 Member
    Planning ahead is the key, but dicipline is more important
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    I almost always log at least one day in advance (of course not today). It's not because I'm too busy throughout the day, it just helps me stay focused.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,923 Member
    I plan ahead at least a day during the week now - I planned ahead at least 2 days when I was losing. Planning is the key to success with this - it keeps you satisfied and keeps you from going off track if you have limited options.