I can't run without dying - please help!

Options
So I've been told that running/jogging is one of the best exercises. And walking won't really help you get fit/tone up/lose weight. But the problem is that I have done no moderate-vigorous exercise since several years ago when I dislocated my patella. I also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and iron deficiency now on top of these very unstable knees, so understandably my muscles are weak and won't let me run for more than a minute. There is also the issue that when I run I sound like I am about to die, probably because of terrible fitness and poor breath control. I've had coaches ask repeatedly if I was asthmatic. I've been tested and I'm not.

I would really like to take up jogging but I just don't know whether or not I will be able to surpass the point of feeling like I am about to die. Are there any beginners (and I very much mean beginners) who know what I am talking about? If you surpassed that point, how long did it take you? Also, how on earth did you do it? I am finding it very hard to believe that people habitually subject themselves to such torture :P

Also, are there are other aerobic exercises I could do that might be softer on my legs? I can't swim any more because my breathing is literally that bad, but other than that all my other body parts are in order :) They would have to be exercise that would get me fit (i.e. not walking).

Perhaps I should note that I am not overweight or obese if that makes any difference - I just have bad fitness, poor muscle tone and tight muscles in my legs. Yep, that's all. How did I let it get this way? *cries*

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Whoever told you walking doesn't help you lose weight didn't know what they were talking about. I used to walk all the time...my ticker doesn't lie...I walked all the time, until I got bored of it and switched to other cardio. Don't use the misconception that walking doesn't help you lose weight as an excuse to not do anything. Walking is awesome.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Look up Couch to 5k (C25K) if running really interests you. It's a rock-bottom beginner's program.

Also walking can be done at a pretty intense pace. Human beings don't need to run in order to be in good shape.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great exercise - as long as you aren't strolling along.... Many people will mix walking and jogging together to build up to running. Have you checked out Couch to 5K? It is based on that concept - mixing walking and running starting with more walking than running until you can build up to a steady pace and distance running.
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Walking will work just fine until you build up more fitness for jogging. I've done it this way, started walking 30 minutes in my lunch break and built up from there, now on week 5 of couch to 5k. Just take your time.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Ha! We all said the same things until we ran. A mile burns the same calories, no matter how long it takes to complete. If I am injured and I can't run at least 30 minutes, I then walk an hour and a half. Walking rocks!

Try C25K and wog a while (walk/jog) Once you run for 10 minutes or more you tend to get hooked, once you run 10 miles, you can run anything...and you want to.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    When I started, I could do a light jog for about 30 seconds. At that point, I would be red in the face, nearly doubled over trying to breathe and feel like my heart was going to explode. Which was crazy because I was only about 25 pounds overweight at the time. I do have asthma but I was also VERY out of shape. I had knee trouble running on pavement but switched to a treadmill and got sorbothane inserts for my shoes. I started couch to 5k over the summer and never really got past 1min of jogging before I gave up. I decided to start it again in October now that I have a gym membership and could do it on the treadmill. I'm now up to 30+min at 5mph or about 5min at 6mph. It doesn't exactly mimic outdoor running but I figure eventually I'll start upping the incline and over time outdoor running will become easier.

Since you have some more complicated health issues, has your doctor suggested anything you can try? Have they cleared you for a program like couch to 5k? Also, if you try couch to 5k, just do each week until you can move up. It's taken me a lot longer than the original plan but I'm glad I repeated when necessary so I didn't get discouraged or push myself too far.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Not a beginner any more, but I remember those days quite well.

1) Walking is very good. The difference in calorie burn between running and walking over the same distance is not that big, and a good vigerous walk will do wonders for you.

2) Running takes time, and the best way to develop as a runner is to go so slow that it is easy, and/or take walk breaks very gradually increaseing the running time in between. This may mean more walking than running at first. Check out the C25K program as a way to get started.
  • snowboardn
    Options
    I have heard great things about "couch to 5k"... for me I am ex military and I have had to get ready to run my PRT so many times that I know what I have to do... At 300 lbs, believe me it is no picnic! I just get out there and do it. If you really want to get serious about running I would suggest getting at least a heart rate monitor. You would be surprised how many cals you start burning once your heart rate goes up in the middle 100's.

When I first started I could only run for about a minute straight, 2 minutes if I really pushed myself and that was at a fat man's shuffle. I am getting there but nowhere perfect. It takes time and really it just comes down to keeping your heartrate up for as long as you can. I do 2 miles, which takes me 30 minutes but my heart rate stays at like 175, and I end up burning 700 calories.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i wasn't a strong runner at first either.

if you have a bike, go dust it off and start going for rides. i found that i could go further and longer on a bike without getting out of breath.

cycling is a great way to burn calories and build cardio endurance.

after a few months of cycling, one rainy morning i really wanted to go for a ride. but i wasn't comfortable cycling in the rain, so i decided to go for a run. i told myself that if i didn't feel good about the run after five minutes, i'd turn around and walk home.

thirty minutes later i was back at my door after running two miles. yes the pace/distance was horrible. but i did it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Walking is an excellent form of exercise - especially if you have health issues that make running difficult.

Why not start with walking and then after a month or so, start throwing in some jogging intervals? Then, maybe move on to Couch to 5K.

But, I would strongly recommend getting cleared for running (or any other high-impact exercise) by your doctor. You want to make sure it's okay for your knees.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I agree walking does burn calories especially as a very brisk pace. It is actually the base for running. look at the couch to 5K program at first your mostly walking to with short (I mean 30 sec "run") runs in it. Plus if you have vary bad knees you can look into biking or walking. Walking does work!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Ha ha ha! :laugh: Yes, I too feel like I'm dying when I run. I'm working with a personal trainer at the moment who's helping me with breath control. You may not like to hear this, but... It's a slow process. Each time I get out and run I find I can run more and go further in each sprint before I suddenly start feeling like I can't breathe.

You know, if you want to "tone up" it's not exactly aerobic exercise that's going to do that for you. You need a strength / weights regimen. Trust me on this one.

Do LOTS of research about that Hashi's. Make sure you've got a doctor who's treating it properly. Are you only taking $ynthroid? Yeah, it's NOT being treated properly. Research research research. Personally, I've found that weight loss does not happen in any shape, form, or fashion if I'm not well-medicated.
  • CarrieGetsFit
    CarrieGetsFit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Running might be one of the best exercises, but if it isn't right for you then don't worry. There are other options.
    Elliptical machines are similar but less impact, maybe that would be better, or cycling?

If you are determined to run them Couch to 5K might work, but personally, I couldn't do the first session when I started out. I was too out of breath and couldn't make myself go any further. I was trying to run too fast and just couldn't do more than two or three run-phases. If you do try it, look out for the podcast with music which helps with pace, that made a big difference for me.

Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you.
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You are probably running too fast. When I first took it back up, that's what my problem was. I joined a group with the Running Room and the first run the leader told me to slow down, and I was actually able to run for more than 20 seconds.

Breathe thru your nose, it will oxygenate your body much more efficiently than breathing thru your mouth...hard to do at first, but focus on it, it really helps.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    you have to train using the condition you're in, not train for where you want to be!

Walking is fantastic. It will help you get ready for running, and is a huge part of any Couch to 5k program, which I second - you should try it. It's often abbreviated C25K - there's usually two options to do it "time" or "distance" based, depending on whether a stop watch or track is easier for you to work with. You start off really easy, mostly walking, and by the end of about 10 weeks you're running (jogging) 3 miles straight.

Another excellent way of getting in cardio is on a bike - it may be great for your knees by helping you build up the muscles, or it may be horrible for them because it uses those joints. If they gave you PT for your patella, I'd go back to doing the exercises they gave you every day again, to be sure either way that you're setting yourself up for success.

But if your breath really is that bad, swimming might be a better idea than you think. Again, you can't just hop in the pool expecting to be able to do a lap - even if you're terribly fit! I've run most of my life, and decided on a lark to swim while I had access to a pool since a friend was so in to it - I could run 3 miles in 22 minutes but I couldn't swim one lap without having to stop to avoid drowning. I had to work up to it, starting off just trying to go a few strokes, then dog paddle the rest of the way, but in a few weeks I was able to get across nicely, taking my break on the wall instead of mid-lane. And it did AMAZING things for my breath control and running, which I totally slacked off on while I worked on the swimming. When I went back to running I was floored at how much easier it felt and how much faster I was.

So you're likely just trying to do too much too soon - slow down, go shorter distances thank you'd like (like WAAAAYYYY shorter), and take it easy on yourself. You can do this.

And in the mean time, walking is better than sitting!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Yea, lots of us have been there. Just walk for now and build up some. If you keep trying you'll get there. I am asthmatic, was overweight, and now jog 2-3 times a week and very much enjoy it.
  • ebrown30
    ebrown30 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I took a beginners running class and I remember how hard it was to build up from nothing to three miles. I have journal entry that I wrote down after running a half a mile; it said I couldn’t breath and I thought I was going to die. By the end of that class I was running 3 miles.

The key is keep with it and build a little each week on to what you have then once you get there don’t stop because you will loose it.

Start small and keep adding. An expert is only a beginner that never quit.

Good luck.
  • ready_to_rise
    ready_to_rise Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many replies already! Thanks!

I think the hardest thing about losing weight sometimes is the mixed messages. I mean, I recently had it hammered into me that walking will not make much difference and yet you all seem to make a really good case for walking. Well, I actually have an app quite similar to C25K (5K Runner) which was kind of how I discovered how bad I was (I mean, I always knew, but sheesh). I was on the first level, jogging, and having major issues. I'll probably TRY to stick with that but I'll go easy. And fast walking seems very doable, for now. :)
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    When I started out, I could barely walk a mile - REALLY! Now, I vary my cardio between walking 4 miles, running 4 miles (not fast - still not a good runner) and biking. I also lift and do calisthenics on the other days. Start with walking and keep at it! You will lose weight.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Well, I hate running, and I mean HATE running. I've tried and tried to like it. I've tried it when I was fit, I've tried it when I was fat, I've tried the C25k...I HATE it. There! I said it! For now I've just given up liking it. I just stopped one day and said "why do I HAVE to like this? I don't have to that's what!". So, I walk, lift weights, hike, bike, do things I LIKE to do and will stick with...not try to force myself to like something that I just don't! Maybe I will wake up one day and change my mind...until then...I'm done trying to force it.