Soy protein shakes

Options
Fozzi43
Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
I've read on here a few times that its better to not use the soya protein powder..

Why?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Because soy is dangerous, if you listen to internet crackpots.
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    Really?
    I use it..am I gonna grow another set of legs and arms?

I'll carry on using it..I found a brand I really like and the price is good.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Because soy is dangerous, if you listen to internet crackpots.

This ^^

There are a lot who say that soy is dangerous because it messes with your hormones. I eat a lot of soy due to the fact that I don't eat meat. Look for non-generically modified soy.

Whether you want to consume it or not depends on how much you believe what people say. Lately there have been studies about how soy can be beneficial (sorry, I haven't been able to track them down just yet).
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    There's a debate going on right now about Soy, and its effects on hormone production.
    Educate yourself, and decide which side of the fence you're on.
  • TVISmith
    TVISmith Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I wondered that too...I started Jillian Michaels Body Revolution and she states that soy should never be an element to help you lose weight.

I have heard that it is not good for little boys to eat a lot of soy for hormonal reasons....but that's all I've got???
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have been told by many people, including my trainer that soy is not good for the body... no idea why, I should probably ask. I will get back to you on that one.
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    I have been told by many people, including my trainer that soy is not good for the body... no idea why, I should probably ask. I will get back to you on that one.

That would be great..thank you:flowerforyou:
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've read on here a few times that its better to not use the soya protein powder..

Why?

Soy Protein Contains Phytic Acid, Trypsin Inhibitors, Phytoestrogens, Aluminum and Lysinoalanine.

for more info read this blog on livestrong. http://www.livestrong.com/article/338896-the-dangers-of-soy-protein-powder/
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    soy sucks. I think the body doesn't absorb it as well.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Why?

Soy Protein Contains Phytic Acid, Trypsin Inhibitors, Phytoestrogens, Aluminum and Lysinoalanine.

for more info read this blog on livestrong. http://www.livestrong.com/article/338896-the-dangers-of-soy-protein-powder/

Livestrong is somewhat of a crapshoot. The above for example, lists texts as sources but no actual published research.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I eat about 120g of protein from soy/per week (in the form of whole soybeans). I ain't skeerd.
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Why?

Livestrong is somewhat of a crapshoot. The above for example, lists texts as sources but no actual published research.

so a reference from Martha Stipanuk who is a professor at cornell university is an invalid reference? how do you figure?
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Soy is "bad" because it contains progesterone, a cheap filler. ( there is a lot of soy in prison food )

Progesterone is a hormone women have, it supposedly messes with women's estrogen levels and lowers mens testosterone...
  • now_or_never12
    Options

The main reason why people say that it isn't good is that it can mess with the hormones in your body... there is a lot of information online about it. Educate yourself on both sides of the arguement and make a decision based on that. Don't take what people tell you as the truth as there is a lot of crap going on about what is good and what is bad for us. Instead look for peer reviewed studies and make your decisions based on that.

I don't use soy protein powder as the whey version that I love is much cheaper in the store I shop at than the soy version but I have used it. I do use a few other soy protein options (think vegetarian substitutes).
  • SideSteel
    Options

Why?

so a reference from Martha Stipanuk who is a professor at cornell university is an invalid reference? how do you figure?

All I'm getting at is that you can't make many conclusions without any research to support it since often times recommendations do not consider dose and context.
  • now_or_never12
    Options
    Soy is "bad" because it contains progesterone, a cheap filler. ( there is a lot of soy in prison food )

Progesterone is a hormone women have, it supposedly messes with women's estrogen levels and lowers mens testosterone...

Soy is a good and cheap protein to eat. I believe non-genetically modified soy is fine.

Soy can also be helpful as well. I believe it's only harmful in large amounts over a long period of time.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    men should not eat soy.

why? maybe I am mental.

But I just cannot eat it.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I wouldn't be concerned with the effects of soy on male sex hormones assuming you're using a moderate amount. It's quite possible that consuming buttloads of it could be harmful but that goes for lots of foods

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17908338
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19524224
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I just think with all the available protein sources out there that intentionally consuming soy doesn't make any sense unless your choices are limited by being intolerant of whey or casein.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I have read that if you have a family history of breast cancer you should not eat a ton of soy because of the hormones/estrogen. Without the history there isn't an issue.

I don't have any sources. I've just read various articles over the years.

Personally, I eat soy protein powder but I don't have that history.