Coconut Oil

Options

Replies

• denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Anything you use butter for, I use coconut oil. No it doesn't taste like coconut.

Best use is in homemade protein bars and baking.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Use it for stir frying or baking. Also as an intensive hair treatment - there is actually research to support this (see Journal of Cosmetic Science).
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    I was just talking to someone on here about this earlier and I found this thread, lol.

I love the stuff. The female DR. Who wrote Eat Fat, Lose Fat swears by it.

She has a healthy oil mix she mentions in her book called Mary's Oil

Gently melt 1 cup of extra virgin coconut oil over very low heat until liquid
    Mix in a glass jar with 1 cup EVOO, and one cup sesame oil. Cover and leave on your counter. It does not turn solid again when mixed with the other oils. I used a mason canning jar.

One tablespoon is 117 calories all healthy fats.

I bought toasted sesame oil on accident and it taste great! A nutty slight sweet flavored oil.
  • onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Wow ,,, never realized there was so many things it helps!

Mark
  • MrsRBS
    MrsRBS Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the comments. Glad I asked bc i sure didnt know about all these things
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Its a saturated fat. Heart fountation recommends olive oil or canola oil as a substitute
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Anything you use butter for, I use coconut oil. No it doesn't taste like coconut.

Best use is in homemade protein bars and baking.

Extra virgin does taste like coconut. Love the flavor by itself or on sautéed veggies.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking, as a butter instead of butter on toasted bread (it tastes yummm that way) and also on my skin. I cook daily with it & refuse to cook with anything else. It's a susncreen from the inside and you feel better having it each day.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

Yes it does. You are having the wrong kind then (I'm guessing not virgin) cause it sure does taste like it
  • melmckay99
    Options
    I use coconut oil to cook basically anything that I used to use margarine or olive oil for...eggs, fish, stir fry, chicken..... I don't fidn it has any flavor though I do notice the smell a bit on certain foods. I Love the stufff!
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've been researching coconut oil and can't decide on a brand.... are they all about the same? What should I be looking at to determine which one I buy?
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MissPatty584
    MissPatty584 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    bump
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I don't really cook with it, but I do shave my legs with it and condition my hair with it.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    I've been researching coconut oil and can't decide on a brand.... are they all about the same? What should I be looking at to determine which one I buy?

I got mine off ebay. But I don't know about other countries. Australia ebay has a nice one from Willows. 1ltr bottle for $15....so I buy 2 every 2 months. Make sure you get FOOD grade.... otherwise you will not be able to eat it
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    No such thing as Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, just thought I'd mention that, it's Virgin coconut Oil. Love the stuff and it's pretty darn healthy as well.:smile:
  • lizzyholiman
    lizzyholiman Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Its a saturated fat. Heart fountation recommends olive oil or canola oil as a substitute

Da funk?! Fats are good for you and coconut oil is a medium chain triglyceride...I need fat so I feel fuller, less fat and I feel hungrier. My macros are set to 35, 35 and 30% (protein, carbs and fat) and I feel fine and I am maintaining my weight...
  • 87indiegirl
    87indiegirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Be careful when using coconut oil as a moisturizer- its great for your skin, but you probably don't want to use it on your face as it is comedogenic (will clog your pores). I use it everywhere except my face, however, and have had no problems.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    bump!