Insanity... thoughts and input wanted! :)

Options
Hello! :) Happy MONDAY!

I need advice and some input on Insanity. I saw a few posts and asked my guy about it and he told me a little but about it. I am curious to know everyone else's thoughts because after the weekend, I've been bugging about it and want to know more. If you have done Insanity... I need input! :) I just started hitting the gym lately and would love an extra push from Insanity if its for me. Thank you in advance for your advice :) Have an awesome day!

Replies

• elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same question, want to know what people thing about the workout. Is it as hard as I think it is, how long are the workout? and how often are you suppose to do them?
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    A MFP commented on my wall post... she said you do it daily and its very intense!!
  • Perixi
    Perixi Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ive done it and plan to start again in the new year. Its a really good program and pushed me to exercise hard every day, you have to commit to it though as there are 6 sessions a week. My body changed loads from doing it and cant wait to see further improvements with the next round.
  • katekross
    Options
    Now I know its just DVDs. So would having a gym membership be kind of a waste?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    hard hard hard...I would be gasping during the warm-up and I thought I was fairly in-shape when I did it.

Pros:
    no weights involved so you can do it anywhere, which was good for me because my job requires travel
    longest workout was 45 min (i think)
    you feel great once it's over

Cons:
    major, major intensity. even the people in the DVD are dying at the end.
    each sequence is faster than the last, so you better be coordinated or you can really injure yourself (like I did)
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I LOVE insanity, but it wasn't love at first sight!! I have stopped and re-started the program several times this year due to fatigue, frustration and injury. If you are just starting with insanity, here are some tips I learned the hard way:

1-NOT OPTIONAL: Get a heart rate monitor. I noticed once I got a heart rate monitor that I wasn't working safely in my zone. It explains why I was constantly throwing up and injuring myself

2-Don't keep up with the people on the DVD. Unless you're an athlete, then you should keep up with them. Those people on the DVD are conditioned athletes and are working at their high level of conditioning. Do YOUR highest level.

3-TAKE BREAKS. You need to make sure your heart rate doesn't shoot dangerously high.

4-If you're just starting insanity, modify the calendar at first. Shaun T has you working out 6 days a week. This level may be too hard. I was injured 3 times before I realized the most I could personally work at this level is 4 days a week.

5-Do what you can. When I first started out, I couldn't finish the whole dvd, so I bargained with myself. I told myself to do a whole circuit, then the next week 2 two circuits. Now, I'm able to get through the whole dvd.

Insanity, once you figure out how to make it work for you, is amazing. You will see yourself being able to do more. Be patient with yourself and approach it as a process of constant improvement. My self-esteem shot through the roof when I finally finished my first month. I got sick halfway through month 2 and one of my new year's resolutions is to finally conquer the whole sixty days.

The first month workouts range from 30-45 minutes. Month 2 workouts are a full hour of craziness. The workout calendar has you working 6 days a week. I personally think that is too much and would suggest 4-5 workouts a week. Message me if you want!
  • kathheen
    kathheen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I started using insanity a month ago and i love love love it!! I am not up to the max workouts but it is one of the hardest workouts i have done but equally the most satisfying, i already see my body shape changing and the bonus is that Shaun T, the guy who does it, isnt one of the annoying ones you sometimes have on DVDs :). Its hard work but you get out of it what you put in.
    I enjoy kettlebells too and used to run, im going to start again in the new year, but i have to say the first couple of times i did the DVDs i did have that sick feeling when you push yourself too hard but its amazing how quickly you feel fitter and get better at it.
    I do end up a sweating mess at the end but thats the kind of workouts i like! :tongue:
    I only do it 3 times a week though i havent tried the 30 day program
    Go for it! Nothing to lose :wink:
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 2 of Insanity and I'm already addicted. The workouts were tough at first, but now that I'm learning the moves, they're not as bad anymore. I'm already seeing small changes, so I'm excited to see what it will be like after 60 days!

ETA: It is extremely hard on the knees due to alot of jumping, so if your knees are bad, this wouldn't be a good program for you. Also, you must have 6 days per week (30-45 minutes at a time) to devote
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity a couple years ago and I still have the disks. I'm working through P90x right now, but I'll probably pick up Insanity again in the spring. It was really hard at first. I think in the first workout, there was a sequence where I just looked up at the TV and said out loud "Are you !@#!@$ kidding me?!?!?" But I did notice a big improvement over the first couple weeks. I had to take a break for a few weeks when I wrenched my back (nothing to do with Insanity--it was from shoveling heavy snow), but I did complete it. The workouts are about 45 minutes total, but they go by really fast. The warmup is as hard as most other cardo classes and DVDs that I've done.

Insanity definitely takes care of cardio. There are some pushups, but not a whole lot of other strength exercises. Probably when I start again, I'll alternate between Insanity and lifting days.
  • Skern55
    Skern55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I did the first month of Insanity, and it was definitely insane. You notice a change by the 2nd week. I was so exhausted and could barely stay awake at first. I realized I didn't increase my food intake. After I did that, it became easier. Then, I was trying to keep up with the video and ended up straining my hamstring. It's still sore so I stopped. Ha It was nice to notice my stamina increased a lot when I ran. It is worth it to try it for at least a month. Those who can continue it, I give kudos!
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I have completed 2 rounds of Insanity and a few rounds of Insanity/Asylum hybrid. I just started Asylum Vol 2 last week. Insanity works, you just have to be prepared for what the programs throws at you. It will be everything you make of it. If you just go through the motions and don't push yourself you won't see much results. If you are going to start the program you have to be commited because it pushes you to the limits. I don't agree with the one post that says to modify the schedule. Stick to the schedule, if you have to modify from 6 days to 4 then you aren't ready for the program. It is a great program and works but you have to push!
  • markyb1977
    markyb1977 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing insanity for 21 days, never missed a day and done it to schedule, I made sure I was in better shape than when I would have started losing weight and never started till I felt comfortable with the program expectations of 6 days a week.

I say go for it, push yourself, safely. I still have to stop for moments when it gets a little too much, but don't just STOP and turn it off, get your breath back for 5-10 secs and keep going, only do this right at the end, and they are getting fewer and far between.

The people in the DVD have their T-shirts, they have been there and done these before, you are not going to be up to their level.

Anyone in anyshape can do it, its all about dedication. You have to make the time, and get up early (for the morning programmes).

I personally feel better for doing it in the mornings, there will be a few days here and there that you miss, but dont double up, just pick it up the next day.

Get a recovery formulae drink, very important.

Im thinking of coming off a 2lb deficit at the moment, as Im starting to be tired in the mornings, but thats good as I know im dipping into fat reserves! As your body is slow, ive noticed massive changes, and dont regret it for a second.

You will only get out of it as much as you can put in.

Before I started I did 4 months of pressups, achieving 100 consecutive, and then did free weights and lateral lifts... shoulders and arms are good, and plenty of mileage walking at 4mph twice a day...

You cannot come into this from the couch... you could IMO do yourself serious damage.
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    For those who have done Insanity, what areas do you recommend a couch potatoe to work on before taking on Insanity?
  • katekross
    Options
    For those who have done Insanity, what areas do you recommend a couch potatoe to work on before taking on Insanity?

LOVE your picture :)
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    It's a two month program.
    During the first month, the workouts are about 40 minutes long. During the second month they are about an hour long.
    The main thing to remember is to NOT try to keep up with the people in the videos. Go at a pace that is hard for you but that you're still able to maintain throughout the workout.

I think that you can have success with almost any at home workout program as long as you STICK TO THE SCHEDULE and eat right.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Finished both months two weeks ago without missing a workout. The second month is rough. The workouts are about an hour. The key to the whole program is doing each move CORRECTLY. Go as fast as you can while maintaining the form. Each move is done for a reason. If your just flopping around like a dead fish, don't bother. Your waisting your time. And commit. You have to do them all as the program indicates. For a reason. I was sceptical at first as well, but, it is a good program if used as it was designed.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I've done Insanity after doing several rounds of P90X, and I was never in better shape as I was after Insanity. And, it's only as "insane" as you make it. Just because the people on the video are going all out, doesn't mean you have to. You do it at your own pace, and increase your intensity as your capability increases. It's nothing to be scared of at all. Frankly, yes having a gym membership is redundant is you are just going to the gym to do pretty much the same thing Insanity does for you. But if you are supplementing with weight training or other things like swimming, then of course keep the gym. For me personally, between P90X and Insanity and biking, I cancelled my gym membership 3 years ago and never looked back.
  • redtim22
    redtim22 Posts: 144
    Options
    19338226_3734.jpg
    Stick with it! It works!! I actually like it better then I liked P90x maybe cause its less time consuming..
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I am actually starting Insanity today and I can't wait.

I plan to keep my regular gym schedule as well during the week since there isn't any strength training in it. I plan on doing the gym in the morning and the videos in the afternoon.
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I am currently only 7th week and I love it. I did P90X and P90X2 before Insanity. I was very fit before starting. I really depends on your goals and fitness level. It is a lot of cardio and definitely has some high impact moves. It is just you and your body and determination. It is not easy but it will certainly change your body and fitness. Beachbody has lots of programs that can meet you where you are physically and help you meet your goals. This program has long periods of cardio with no rest. So it really depends as I said before on your goals and fitness level.