Healthy Food Gifts?

Options
Hi all - Im going to hit up Pinterest, etc in a bit but I thought I'd check with you all as well. We drew names for gifts this year and as I'm not very crafty I'd like to give food gifts to those I didn't draw for. Last year I did cookies, and bbq spiced nuts, so I'd like to do something a little different this year, trying to stay away from sweets, so maybe snack mixes or something like that. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    You could make healthy cookies? The nut idea sounds good as well! You could make granola, protein bars, spice mixes, teas. flavoured oatemals, muffins, etc?
  • Cherie7575
    Options
    I had considered some healthy cookies or muffins also, with whole wheat flour, etc. Thanks! =)
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Granola in a jar, maybe healthy cookie mixes in a jar? What kind of healthy direction do you want to go in with the cookies/muffins? Healthy in a "whole foods" type of direction, just low calorie or a bit of both? I find I have to be a little careful giving out healthful versions of things because people tend to like things a lot sweeter and fattier than I what I make for myself. Also, if you are familiar with whole wheat flour, great but just in case be aware that it can make things taste a bit different.

The skinnytaste website has a lot of good ideas (the chocolate chip cookies are really good, btw, I like them better than regular chocolate chip-not as messy to make and more filling).

www.skinnytaste.com
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Soup kits. Pre-measured ingredients for different soups (think layers of different colored beans), in a cute jar, with a ribbon and instructions. Its cheap, cute and fun, it doesn't require major craft skills, and it doesn't come across as intentionally "healthy" which is a red flag for some eaters.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Meringue cookies can be pretty low in calories when you home make them and certainly won't be rejected as "healthy rabbit food".
  • girbear08
    Options
    This is my favorite treat to give to friends and family for the holidays. I normally make a few batches back to back (I always do mini ones) and freeze them until I am ready to either pass them out or share with my family.

Yum Yum Brownie Muffins:
    (1 Muffin, or 3 minis - 181 calories, 3.5g fat, 37g carbs, 2g fiber, 2g protein -- PointsPlus® value 5*)
    This super-simple 2-ingredient recipe is a Weight Watchers Fave!
    1 box devil's food cake mix
    1 can solid pack pumpkin (15 oz.)
    Directions:
    Mix the two ingredients together. Don't add anything else that may be mentioned on the box, such as eggs, oil, or water. The mixture will be very thick and you will be tempted to add in other things to make the batter smoother. DO NOT DO THIS AS IT WILL RUIN EVERYTHING! Place batter into muffin tins (or mini muffin tins) lined with paper, or sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Makes 12 regular or 36 mini muffins.

resource is: http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/367