Getting negative comments :(

Options
124»

Replies

• TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'd say the same thing!!!!! I'll be nasty if I have to
    Lately, i've been called "boring" and "too strict" and "i need to have fun". I do have fun, but food isn't the center of attention anymore.

I always say "If I wanted to look like you I would eat like you." Shuts them up every time.

But that works both ways. No need to be deliberately nasty.

Ehh, they started it..yes I'm mean :devil:
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    People don't understand that this is a challenge for me to reach my goal. Lately, i've been called "boring" and "too strict" and "i need to have fun". I do have fun, but food isn't the center of attention anymore. I'm trying to not let the negative comments get to me! I've come along way from 230 pounds to 165 pounds...i'm 15 pounds away from my goal. I can do it!!!!

A few ways of approaching this.

* Ignore them
    * Stop being friends with these people or, if they're co-workers, tell them to mind their own business
    * Actively counter them with positive responses about why you're doing what you're doing. I sometimes find myself saying, "Yeah, it IS strict, but me personally I have to be really strict or I'll fall off the wagon. It is what it is."

Most mature adults won't say anything besides "nice work!" anyway.
  • faolan447
    faolan447 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is a fantastic achievement! The only reason people are negative is to try to make themselves feel better. It's sad that people feel good when they make someone else feel bad, but it's the harsh reality of people with low self esteem. Please stay positive! You are winning in a tough battle! I really like option C in Seansquared's post. Just counter with positive assurance. You are doing it the way that is best for you.
  • sarahmaedzz
    sarahmaedzz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Lately, i've been called "boring" and "too strict" and "i need to have fun". I do have fun, but food isn't the center of attention anymore.

I always say "If I wanted to look like you I would eat like you." Shuts them up every time.

That is the best reply ever! I'll have to use it :)
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options

Love that response!! :smile:

*writing comment down for future use.....*
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree, going out and counting calories is boring. Or...not going out because you dont wanna overeat/drink is boring.

But..the thing is..what do you want more, look good and be healthy or be cool?
  • Kersmudgekins
    Kersmudgekins Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Love the response !!!! Will have to remember it !

Thanks !
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

LOVE this, I must remember to use it, thank you!
  • mtabh
    mtabh Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have been on my journey for just under two weeks and I attended two holiday parties this weekend. At both I got comments along those lines. The reality is they are uncomfortable with their own habits and are making you feel bad to make them feel better. Does that make sense?

I was told, "I am not dieting until the beginning of the year" and also "I need to eat, my wedding is next fall I will start to diet in March". So, you see those are diets. My change is a lifetsyle. Great for them! I just chose not to go overboard. I ate, but I had about two tablespoons of each dish and drank 32 ounces of water after my meal. I was full. I also skipped dessert while I watched one of the people who chose to attempt to make me feel odd, eat a portion of pumpkin pie that was closer to two pieces covered in whipped cream. Yeah, and I am the *weird* one. LOL.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Use those fists and give them a good chingo. :bigsmile:
  • TheManda27
    TheManda27 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    honestly think people only say such things when they are jealous or otherwise made uncomfortable by your weight loss success.

So i guess that means your doing everything right ;)

I agree with this. People who are uncomfortable with themselves and feel that some how your success reflects badly on them, will be the ones to make comments like these. Feel good about yourself and proud about your choices. Your food consumption has nothing to do with who you are. When you feel better about yourself you have the ability to share yourself more with others. If they don't want to experience you at your best and be proud of you, I say screw them!
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

But that works both ways. No need to be deliberately nasty.

Ehh, they started it..yes I'm mean :devil:

Exactly, also when they say I could never train like you respond with if I eat the crap you do I couldn't either.
  • LaDonnaF
    LaDonnaF Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weightloss! What an inspiring accomplishment! I love reading stories like this and just sit back in awe like.... I can't even lose 25lbs let alone the amount that you have.

You are NOT boring. If they cannot be supportive during this transformation then they don't deserve to be your friend.
  • preshusgem
    preshusgem Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I like that. I'm going to use that. Great response.
  • ladyspring
    ladyspring Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You know I notice that every time I try to change something about myself (be it my weight or the way I do things) I always get negative or take-it-easy kind of comments. But when I start getting lazy or I don't look like I'm doing anything, people have a lot to say about me as well, that I should do this and that.

I think other people just love to impose their ideas on others. It's a way of distracting themselves from their own lives :/

I try to tune out of these kind of people. Some I can't completely avoid because they're family members or close friends. What I do is just smile at them and pretend I'm listening but really I'm thinking about how to plan my food or workout for the day :p

I'm thinking of my losing weight as a personal journey. Sometimes I feel sad by the lackluster support but at the end of the day it's all down to me. :)
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Honey we all get that from ppl in our lives. I have discovered that they are actually jealous b/c they admire your drive and will powere that they WISH they had. Ignore it and move on. You can do thais!