Would love some heavy lifting friends

Options
I've read loads of posts on here about lifting heavy and seen many pics of results and been impressed. So I bought NROLFW and devoured it in my spare time. I came to the conclusion I want to pick up heavy things, put the down again and repeat.

I spoke to my PT about it. I've previously been doing 2 circuit sessions with him that include a bit of lifting and lots of squat variations and 3 solo sessions at the gym a week. I told him I want to lift heavy things so we agreed he would take a couple of sessions to show me proper form and I would lift on days I don't train with him. Although it makes me nervous going down what I think of as 'the big boys section' of the gym.

Today was the first day. The weights weren't huge but I learned a lot (I definitely need to strengthen my wrists) and I'm going to build on what he has taught me.

I would love to have the support of people that already lift or are just learning. I'm currently 5ft 4", weigh 234lbs as of this morning (I've lost 20lbs so far) :)

Replies

• GymChick8
    Options
    Hi there, be warned its addictive!!! I train 5-6 times a week. Mainly lifting. Do minimal cardio now, mainly a long walk on my rest day. I'm getting into the lifting more. Deciding whether to compete in bodybuilding comps or not next year. Working towards having the body first!

Mel
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I am the only heavy lifting gal in my gym...I am in the UK...my stats are in my profile...
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I <3 heavy weight lifting... and yes I agree that it can be addicting but that's because of all the excellent benefits it gives while at the same time we can eat more without worrying about getting fat. I've been doing it for more than a year now and that contributes a lot in maintaining my figure. Currently I'm lifting 68kg on my lower body and bench pressing 36kg, twice a week all full body compound moves.

Feel free to add me if you want :)
  • MonsterToBe
    MonsterToBe Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm a couple of chapters into Starting Strength, and planning to start heavy lifting after I've lost another 11 lbs.

(I discussed it with my doctor and we agreed that since I have physical problems in my feet and legs caused by carrying around so much additional weight for so long, that I should get a certain amount of weight off before I start lifting so that any weight gain caused by the lifting won't bring back the problems I've worked so long to overcome. In the meantime I've been first spinning, then walking, then walking and jogging to build up strength in the injured/atrophied muscles, and we figure by the time I lose that 11 lbs. my feet etc. will be stronger and ready to handle the loaded exercise.)

I'm also nervous about starting heavy lifting as a female in a gym and would like friends who are on this first learning leg of the journey and friends who are experienced lifters.

My plan is to finish reading Rippetoe, make sure I understand the key points of form, then talk to as many PTs at my gym as I have to to find one who understands the exercises well and doesn't advise silly things like a partial squat, so I can feel confident I have someone correcting my form who knows what they're doing.

After that? Pick up light things, put them down, repeat, make them heavier and heavier and heavier!
  • JKS76
    JKS76 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out too. Would love to keep in touch with others that are lifting. My aims are to get stronger and leaner and just feel ... well more sexy really (and not just on a sexual level if that makes sense!) Feel free to add me
    Jo
    x
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out too. Would love to keep in touch with others that are lifting. My aims are to get stronger and leaner and just feel ... well more sexy really (and not just on a sexual level if that makes sense!) Feel free to add me
    Jo
    x

Hee! It does increase the libido I have found...mine has always been high, but when I strength train, whoosh...can't keep this gal down.. ; )
  • salsagal36
    salsagal36 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite there yet. I'm finishing up a body weight circuit 6-week challenge this week, then the holidays, but then I'll be right there with you. Personally I'm going to start with stronglifts 5x5 because a lot of people have commented that it's less confusing than the NROL4W. I'm going to try and hire a friend's trainer for a few sessions to show me how to do stuff and correct my form, and then hopefully I'll be going strong. We'll see!

Oh, and I'm 5'8" and as of this morning 234 (I was 229 yesterday then ate a bunch of crap, salt, and alcohol yesterday at a christmas party). So, I'm just about where you are although a little taller.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    So one tip about your wrists: Get lifting tape and tape your wrists. I have very limited flexibility, which causes pain when I'm doing certain heavy lifts, but if you tape your wrists it really helps.
  • Knoxvilla5
    Knoxvilla5 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you're deadlifting, take it kinda slow at first and build up that ligamental strength. After a couple of weeks, if you're ready to bulk up on the weight and strong enough in the wrists, I suggest using an alternate grip.

I continually used pronated grip the entire first couple of months of lifting and boy, when I switched to alternate grip, I IMMEDIATELY saw a 10-20lb difference in what I could lift!

Lift heavy!
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Oh me too!!
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I do stronglifts 5x5, you can add me if you like. I don't bite.... that hard :)
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I just started my fourth week of StrongLifts 5x5 and I love love love it!

There is also a great group for ladies that are doing SL!
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Me too! I'd love to have friends that lift! I bought and read NROLFW but don't have access to a barbel so I'm doing what I can with dumbells!
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Try to avoid using lifting aids (tape, straps, etc) for as long as you can. You want to strengthen your weaknesses as much as possible. You will experience all kinds of new aches and soreness that go along with lifting heavy. This is normal and it will subside. Actual pain is different though. If you experience serious pain at any time you need to stop and figure out what you're doing wrong.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifter here! Any heavy lifters can add me! :-)
  • remembertheharddrive
    Options
    I'm inching my way back into it. Going at the upper body heavy, but waiting a little longer til I go full stop and include the legs. I'm committing to way too many zumba and kickboxing classes at this point to have energy to lift after. Once I re-dedicate my butt into going to the gym morning as well as night, I'll have time to split up my workouts between lifting and fun-cardio classes.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm always confused by this topic, as I'm not sure what others classify as "heavy". Personally I think it should be ratios, but if you want to add me, I think I fall into "heavy lifters". I'm several weeks into SL 5x5, so I'll just post those numbers, not my 1rm.

Bench - 200
    Squat - 340
    Dead - 345
    OHP - 110
  • MonsterToBe
    MonsterToBe Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm always confused by this topic, as I'm not sure what others classify as "heavy". Personally I think it should be ratios, but if you want to add me, I think I fall into "heavy lifters". I'm several weeks into SL 5x5, so I'll just post those numbers, not my 1rm.

Bench - 200
    Squat - 340
    Dead - 345
    OHP - 110

I know what you mean. Personally, I always read "heavy" as "would fail a rep before reaching 8 reps," as opposed to sets where you could complete 8-12 or more before failure. In other words, I read it as training for strength, not hypertrophy or endurance.
  • salsagal36
    salsagal36 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks to all my new friends.

As I mentioned I'm just starting the lifting heavy, some of you are lifting weights that seem practically impossible to believe I can also do it. I'm in awe of you all!

I think I'm going to do some more reading around SL 5x5 and maybe give that a go, it seems less complicated. Oh and I'll tough it out for now regarding the wimpy wrists and hope they strengthen up.

Thanks for all the advice. :)