Anyone here do yoga? (mini-rant included)

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I've been here over two years and have never seen anyone knock yoga. Not once.

Yoga and weight training, as has been said, have two very different values, and different results. Just because someone says "try weight training" doesn't mean they think yoga is worthless.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I don't see much of a way to compare strength training with yoga. Strength training is...... strength training. It's pretty simple to describe and do. You do the exercises, and you gain muscular strength. It's a very coarse and narrow method of adding muscle to your body. That's not a bad thing at all. It's just a very tiny part of a path to overall health in life.

Yoga on the other hand, has so many facets. It's much more of a lifestyle than a simple means of physical exercise. There are physical exercises in yoga, but those exercises are a small part of an entire plan for wellness. Yoga grounds you, and acts as a guide along your path in life. There are both philosophical/religious and physical aspects to yoga. Combined together, they can help you to achieve far more than strength training ever will. You may not gain as much muscle mass as you would through strength training, but you'll gain a unique understanding of your mind and body. You'll learn what it truly is to breathe and to love and to eat mindfully. Yoga will encourage you to be a better person, and show you how to make better decisions in everyday life. It will add flexibility, balance and strength to your body. It will teach you how to eat properly. The benefits are sooooooo numerous.

One is a set of prescribed exercises. One is a lifestyle.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I love yoga, and practice regularly. Those who would make disparaging remarks just don't understand that it goes beyond stretching.

To say that yoga is a humbling experience for a newbie, would be an understatement. I've seen fit guys from my gym wander into the yoga class with all sorts of bravado and just get WORKED by yoga. Shaking, sweating, grunting - the absolute works. I respect the few that see the benefits and come back for more. The others, at least, learned their lesson that the yoga studio is not just a place where girls prance around in tight pants.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've done yoga on and off since I started college (I'm a junior now), and my strength and flexibility always get better when I do it. I believe more advanced practitioners could easily use it as their sole form of strength training. But a lot of people here are just into lifting heavy and think everything else is wrong. I've seen people create entire topics dissing yoga and talking about how "easy" it is and how it does nothing. The advanced poses are nowhere NEAR easy. If you don't like yoga, that's fine, but to minimize the experience by saying its easy or stupid is insulting.

Anyway, I wonder if anyone on here besides me actually likes yoga and makes it a part of their routine? I plan on doing it all week to get back into the swing of things with exercise, and it'd be great to have friends on here who are into it, too.

I do yoga and I do cardio. I MAKE myself do weights because there is a health benefit, but I despise the gym, so it's tough to make myself go. And I don't really care if other people don't approve. It's my body and my choice, so that's all that matters.

I find that the people who think yoga is easy have either never done it or have only taken the classes that do breathing and seated, easier poses.

I love yoga, but have been bad about doing it. I hadn't done it in a long time and did an hour a couple Saturdays ago. My entire body hurt so bad I couldn't move for four days! lol It is a great workout. It doesn't burn a lot of calories, but the felxibility, balance and strength you gain from it improve your form for other exercises and make those even more beneficial.
  • Krahn1984
    Krahn1984 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yoga is part of my weekly routine. It really helps me keep my tight muscles loose. It also tones and helps me with my balance - I love it!
  • EmiVReyes
    EmiVReyes Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I really want to get started in yoga...but don't know where to begin...maybe i'm stretching myself to thin amongst all my fitness/exercising goals. I want to start heavy lifting, running more, yoga, and i'm currently doing insanity. Busy busy busy...
  • rml_16
    Options
    I really want to get started in yoga...but don't know where to begin...maybe i'm stretching myself to thin amongst all my fitness/exercising goals. I want to start heavy lifting, running more, yoga, and i'm currently doing insanity. Busy busy busy...

Start with a class. That easy. Walk in and let the instructor know you're new and then just get on your mat and do your thing.

If you have any kind of dance background, it will be a bit easier for you. But there are modifications of all poses for every level and the instructor will help you.
  • JScarbo
    Options
    Not without plenty of F bombs.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I have been instructed by my physical therapist to avoid doing Yoga (I keep wanting to type Yago for some reason) so no, I don't do it.

I have loose joints. The flexibility you gain from doing Yoga will have negative effects on my body.
  • LucyAndDiamonds
    Options
    I loved yoga when I could afford the classes (boo college budget)...I know you can do the tapes and things but I've found its just not the same as having someone to physically reposition or alter your stance so you learn what's right. When I was going 3x a week it did help me tone up but more than that I felt an overall improvement in my health. I have chronic back pain and that went away. Other symptoms from other conditions were lessened too. If I could afford to go back I would totally add it into my routine.
  • KarCrib
    KarCrib Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I want to...does that count? I just need to find the right program etc. I'm a little intimidated by the whole thing.
    My workouts are 1/2 and 1/2 cardio and weights hard core at this point and I *really* need some stretching and flexibility.

I posted earlier today (but got no response) if anyone knows any good yoga sessions to be found on you tube.

I wish I could help. :( I don't know any YouTube videos, but Rainbeau Mars and Rodney Yee both make good DVDs you can get for cheap on Amazon and other websites. :)

There is a free site called DOYOGAWITHME.COM.... I use it for yoga, which I do five times a week to round out my running, swimming and biking, it is awesome.
  • alaliberte
    Options
    I'm a yoga instructor and I see some good, bad and ugly on MFP from time to time on posts. It depends upon the style of yoga you take and the teacher you take from. They vary as widely as the opinions you see on the replies to your post. I think yoga is largely misunderstood.

You can get a very fit, strong and flexible body by doing yoga. A good place to start is going to an online site such as yogadownload.com or yogaglo.com. They have online classes ranging from 5 minutes to 90 minutes. By becoming a member of one of these sites, you can practice when you have time and dont have to rely on a studio schedule. Eventually you will want to take more classes in person to get the individual instruction you need for the Level 2 and 3 poses.

I encourage you to check out Light on Yoga by BKS Iyengar. It's not really a cover to cover read--more of a guidebook as you practice at home--super important and not to be underemphasized is alignment. You need good alignment to make sure you are not going to injure yourself!!! Anusara and Iyengar classes are good to learn about alignment.

Good Luck!
  • alaliberte
    Options
    ha ha ha. I meant to say...good bad and ugly YOGA posts....sorry!
  • rml_16
    Options
    I'm a yoga instructor and I see some good, bad and ugly on MFP from time to time on posts. It depends upon the style of yoga you take and the teacher you take from. They vary as widely as the opinions you see on the replies to your post. I think yoga is largely misunderstood.

You can get a very fit, strong and flexible body by doing yoga. A good place to start is going to an online site such as yogadownload.com or yogaglo.com. They have online classes ranging from 5 minutes to 90 minutes. By becoming a member of one of these sites, you can practice when you have time and dont have to rely on a studio schedule. Eventually you will want to take more classes in person to get the individual instruction you need for the Level 2 and 3 poses.

I encourage you to check out Light on Yoga by BKS Iyengar. It's not really a cover to cover read--more of a guidebook as you practice at home--super important and not to be underemphasized is alignment. You need good alignment to make sure you are not going to injure yourself!!! Anusara and Iyengar classes are good to learn about alignment.

Good Luck!

I'm kind of surprised that an instructor would advise novices to try to learn from videos instead of going to actual classes where someone can correct their form and teach them properly.

Done wrong, yoga can be anything from just plain useless to actually causing serious injury.
  • taelardinois
    taelardinois Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You can get a very fit, strong and flexible body by doing yoga. A good place to start is going to an online site such as yogadownload.com or yogaglo.com.

Thanks for posting these! I've been looking for some new ways to practice. :)

I personally love yoga. I stopped doing it because I started focusing more on weight training. Over the years, I've lost a lot of flexibility. I'm gaining some of it back now but it certainly is a journey. I think both weight lifting and yoga have a place in workouts (at least with me).
  • shaybuggie
    shaybuggie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I just started doing yoga this past Saturday. I even found some yoga for kids On Demand that my youngins enjoyed (possible Christmas present?). I'm a beginner, but I love it already!
  • Alicia7519
    Options
    I saw the thread and to each his/her own.

I love yoga. I hate to exercise, so when I started making lifestyle changes, I decided that I would try yoga. A few years ago, I attended a few classes but stopped because I was lazy. Now, I try to do yoga 6-7 times a week. I have a membership at the Rec Center at the university where I work, so I go to two classes weekly. At home, I use a video called "Brand Spanking New." I downloaded it from My Yoga Online. It's the best video I have used. The video I first used is "Yoga for Complete Beginners." It is 20 minutes long and can be found on YouTube. Another video I have used is "Yoga for Weight Loss for Beginners," by Yoga Zone. This one is a little difficult, but what is great about Yoga is that you can modify poses and still get the benefits.

I have been doing yoga for over three and a half months. I am an emotional eater and yoga has helped me to relax, and feel less anxious and/or depressed. Also, doing yoga has made me a lot stronger. A few years ago, I broke my left leg and as a result, it was very weak. Yoga has helped strengthen the muscles in that leg, so it does not hurt anymore.
  • ZombieFoodSlayer
    Options
    Bikram Hot yoga is the best!! I did that for 6 months, now back at gym to up my cardio!!
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I like yoga! I strength train with heavy lifting, but also with yoga, body sculpt and boot camp classes. I think they're all legit. I can really tell yoga helps, too, because I can feel it burn when my muscles are sore, so I know it's working.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I also do not understand why people would hate yoga...

I have found that yoga is not only relaxing but also key to controlling the pain in my muscles and joints...

In addition, I have gain flexibility as well...

A final pleasant effect of yoga is that I experience a sort of suspension of time...