1/2 marathon, 4 weeks away

2»

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Another vote for really bad idea. Trying to more than quadruple your long run in a month is a recipe for injury.

I say either run a shorter distance at the race (if available) or volunteer on race day.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Don't do it. You'll be signing yourself up for a miserable experience and why would you want your first half to be like that? I really enjoyed my first half (that I spent months training for); I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Don't do it. Not a good idea at all.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    If you want it to suck *kitten* it's a great idea.

Seriously though, plenty of time to find another half and properly train.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Don't do it. You'll be signing yourself up for a miserable experience and why would you want your first half to be like that? I really enjoyed my first half (that I spent months training for); I wouldn't have it any other way.

Training is a big part of the journey for sure. Each week you head out to run further (farther?) than you ever have before, you have no clue how you are going to survive, but you do. Then you do it again and again. Very exciting stuff, no need to rush it or skip it.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    If you want to push yourself, sign up for a 10k. You could probably do that reasonably safely, if you're running 5 k a few times a week. And that would feel like an achievement, trust me. Trying to more than quadruple your mileage in 4 weeks just isn't sensible.
  • I have to agree with everyone else. If you can do it is debatable. However, you will be MISERABLE by the end.

I ran my first in November using a plan that only got me up to 10 miles, and the last 4 miles I pretty much wanted to die.

For the race I'm training for now, I'm using a 16 week plan that will get me up to 12, since I felt so unprepared last time.... so knowing how hard it was for me with training, I can only imagine what it would be like making the jump from 3 to 13.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    thank you for all of your advice/thoughts/opinions on this.....and I am very aware that this is a longshot.....one won't know what they're capable of until they do it.
    You are correct about "one won't know what they are capable of until they do it." In order to do it, you need the proper training. Proper training for halves are very successful. I don't think it is a good idea for you to run a half base on the info you gave us. We do not know enough about your fit level to suggest that you should do it. I have ran marathons, but to think that I could do a hundred mile run in 4 weeks would not be wise.