Brain fog??

Options
Hello everyone! I have been experiencing what I think may be "brain fog" the past few days. This is something I have felt before but never for more than an hour or so. It is a difficult feeling to describe. Everything is just hazy, and I am totally zoned out! I cannot think as clearly as I normally do and feel like I'd have a difficult time holding a conversation. To put it simply: I just feel weird.

I am only 21 years old and am starting to feel concerned that something may be wrong. Friends and family have suggested that it may have something to do with my diet. My goal is 1200 calories a day and I have a custom setting to 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein.

My diary is open to the public. If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know what you think!

Replies

• TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Options
    Well, your day looks really balanced as far as food goes.

Are you getting enough sleep at night?
  • chelsinicole
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like that, where I can't focus on anything and i feel like im dreaming. Im not positive, but i think fruit helps. I also started taking a multi vitamin to make sure i get full nutrition, and i dont feel foggy as often.
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    your diet looks pretty good, nice and balanced. The questions that i have are 1. Are you getting enough sleep and is it consistent? I.e. 7+ hours every night at relatively the same time each night? 2. Are you drinking enough water? I find that I am lethargic when I don't drink water, I know there are differing thoughts on how much we need, but I find if I don't have at least 48 oz I am a little wacky. 3. Are you exercising at all? Exercise clears the morning fog for me and I do it every day! Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Options
    your diet looks pretty good, nice and balanced. The questions that i have are 1. Are you getting enough sleep and is it consistent? I.e. 7+ hours every night at relatively the same time each night? 2. Are you drinking enough water? I find that I am lethargic when I don't drink water, I know there are differing thoughts on how much we need, but I find if I don't have at least 48 oz I am a little wacky. 3. Are you exercising at all? Exercise clears the morning fog for me and I do it every day! Good luck!:flowerforyou:

Quoted for truth! You are much better at helping than I am! :)
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Quoted for truth! You are much better at helping than I am! :)
    [/quote] It's my job as a Mom! :wink:
  • chillie99
    Options
    You might have your blood sugar checked. Low sugar input to the brain can make you feel like what you are describing. Have you ever had blood sugar problems or is there a family history of diabetes?
  • Sweetie_Pie92
    Sweetie_Pie92 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    You're diary looks great, but maybe you're just not getting enough calories/food for you brain. I know exactly that hazy feeling you're talking about, I went through a period of eating very little when I was 13 or so...and I spent months in that weirdo fog. I got that another time from medication, so any meds your on that could cause it?
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    try taking a multi vitamin. I find when I don't get enough iron I get all fuzzy.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Up until the point you said you are ONLY 21, I was thinking she is in menopause!!!!! That being said, maybe it is hormonal related??? I am in my 50's and have often had those same symptoms; mine are related to menopause which yours are obviously not. Your diet looks fantastic. Hopefully you are drinking enough water daily. I would suggest that you discuss with your physician and have your thyroid levels checked and would hope that s/he would have some advice for you.
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    I get between 7 and 8 hours of sleep every night (it's something I refuse to go without!) and I also get enough water. I have been drinking even more since I started feeling weird because my boyfriend insists on it. "Drink more water" is his solution to everything but it hasn't helped yet!

As for exercising, I started a new workout Monday but skipped the gym Tuesday and Wednesday because I felt so strange. I went this morning for some cardio, and it seems to have made me feel a little better. Also, I drank a glass of juice last night before bed because I was starting to feel really strange, even more so than before. It seemed to snap me out of it pretty quickly but I don't know if that was just my imagination!

I am not on any medication, and I do take my vitamins religiously. My grandmother had diabetes, and my sister has had a few weird things happen to her that we thought may be sugar related.

I think that answers everyone's questions! Thank you guys for helping me out. I am relieved to feel slightly better this morning and will definitely head to the doctor to get some blood work done!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on MFP? This same symptom is experienced sometimes by people doing Atkins or South Beach and it's caused by the body's adjustment away from sugars and white flours.
  • llanas77
    llanas77 Posts: 9
    Options
    I've experienced the same thing. It wasn't a constant thing. On the days I would feel woozy or hazy I would eat a little extra protein and extra fruit. That seemed to help.
  • atlmom
    atlmom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    have you cut way back on caffiene? that's how i feel when i detox.