A trick around starvation mode?

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Too bad starvation mode (adaptive thermogenesis) is something that happens on a longer term basis, not within 3 days. Your average calorie intake over a longer period of time will determine So if you average 933 cals ((800+800+1200)/3=933) that's what you're going to adapt to. huh.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I wish there were a trick around bump year old thread mode.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

QFT
  • healthylife56
    Options
    OR, you could just eat enough on a daily basis and lose weight the healthy way.

^^ THIS
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Just because it isn't "starvation mode" doesn't mean it's necessarily a good idea.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

QFT

SRSLY
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Cali212
    Cali212 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure. I was eating at less than 1200 calories until I realized that I may permanently mess myself up. What if my body only expects 1200 calories forever? I upped to 1600 -1800 calories and I feel much better.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    OP has lost only 7 pounds in over a year.
    Advice seems legit.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    OP has lost 7 pounds in 16 months.
    Advice seems legit.

to be fair, you dont really know when the op genuinly started... mine says may 2011, but thats just the day i found the app and made a quick profile, not to bother with it again until summer this year...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    OP has lost 7 pounds in 16 months.
    Advice seems legit.

to be fair, you dont really know when the op genuinly started... mine says may 2011, but thats just the day i found the app and made a quick profile, not to bother with it again until summer this year...

True, but the original post was made in October of 2011. Someone bumped a really old thread.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    oooohhhhhhhhhh, i didnt even notice that...
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Interesting fact, thanks for sharing.

There was nothing *fact*ual about that
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I thought of this idea myself.
    They say that after a while your body gets used to your routine.
    Well, if you keep consistently changing your calories, can't that confuse the body and prevent the body from getting used to your routine? I'm gonna try this with my new elliptical that arrives along with my new BodyFit Media wristband! I cannot wait to try that!
    You cannot "confuse" or "trick" your body. Your body doesn't think. It just responds to what your brain does to it.
  • LucyAndDiamonds
    Options
    I'm glad someone brought this up...People have been hammering on me about eating under 1200 and scaring me into wondering if I'll gain because I don't hit that...
  • Blondgurl778
    Options
    So what I learned from my Human Biology class is this; sure you will lose weight if you starve yourself, but the weight you are losing is muscle mass and bone mass. The bone that you will lose is in your joints and your spine mostly. This will make you more likely to end up with osteoporosis. Also, does not muscle burn more calories than fat? So if you are losing muscle mass, isn't that making it harder to lose weight later on, and easier to gain weight once you stop the "starvation diet"? In other words, eat healthy, work out, and you should lose the weight at a healthy rate, and you will be more likely to retain that weight loss.
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    So what I learned from my Human Biology class is this; sure you will lose weight if you starve yourself, but the weight you are losing is muscle mass and bone mass. The bone that you will lose is in your joints and your spine mostly. This will make you more likely to end up with osteoporosis. Also, does not muscle burn more calories than fat? So if you are losing muscle mass, isn't that making it harder to lose weight later on, and easier to gain weight once you stop the "starvation diet"? In other words, eat healthy, work out, and you should lose the weight at a healthy rate, and you will be more likely to retain that weight loss.
    Ok, so what is considered "starve yourself" At what number do all humans start to starve? Is it just calories that our bodies are after when they attack the muscle and bone instead of the stored fuel (fat)? How long does one have to starve before this happens or is it immediate?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Ok, so what is considered "starve yourself" At what number do all humans start to starve? Is it just calories that our bodies are after when they attack the muscle and bone instead of the stored fuel (fat)? How long does one have to starve before this happens or is it immediate?
    It takes about 4 days of complete fasting for the body's metabolism to shift into famine survival mode. At that point, TDEE drastically lowers, and the body begins to catabolize nonessential muscle to supplement fat stores, in order to extend the amount of time the fat stores will last. When the nonessential muscle is gone, it turns to nonessential connective tissue, bones, and then organs. This also occurs when over a period of several weeks when consuming an extreme calorie deficit. The body is always pushing for equilibrium and homeostasis. If your TDEE is 3000, and you cut your intake to 1000, your body will adjust to attempt to match the new intake of 1000. It does this by lowering TDEE (shutting down nonessential systems to allow for more efficient calorie use) and drawing from fat stores. If it is drawing too much from fat stores at one time, it starts catabolizing muscle and other protein sources in order to initiate gluconeogenesis to help make up the difference.

The human body can "survive" much longer with high fat and little muscle, so that is what it evolved to do in times of famine.
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    So anybody can fast for four days without going into "starvation mode" then resume "normal" eating for a day and avoid starvation mode, then four more days of fasting? And can a person starve to death and still be fat? And the body does this for calories only?

What are some signs of "starvation mode"?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    So anybody can fast for four days without going into "starvation mode" then resume "normal" eating for a day and avoid starvation mode, then four more days of fasting? And can a person starve to death and still be fat? And the body does this for calories only?

What are some signs of "starvation mode"?

settle down dude

extreme ranting causes high blood pressure

relax