how many meals a day to YOU eat?

Options
so, i was thinking about this earlier as i was preparing my THIRD meal of the day out of 6 and i was wondering just how many meals a day does everyone eat? and how many calories do you keep those meals at? My meals are around 211 cals or less depending on what i eat as my trainer wants. If i feel like im not going to get to eat those 6 meals a day due to time restraints ( i wont eat after 9PM), i sometimes combine TWO of the meals....so, how many meals do YOU eat?

Replies

• Akasha13
    Akasha13 Posts: 7
    Options
    Before I started back to dieting, I would eat 3-5 times a day. I wouldn't say that they were meals though because I would eat just whatever was handy.

Now that I"m back to dieting I eat 2, sometimes 3, times a day. I'm working on getting it back down to just 2 times a day because it's easier for me that way. I don't like eating a lot of little meals because it tempts me to grab junk food.
  • vixey2906
    vixey2906 Posts: 30
    Options
    I have three: breakfast, dinner and tea :)
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    I eat about every two hours. I find it keeps my metabolism up and helps me keep fat off.
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I eat the traditional 3 main meals a day (Breakfast, lunch, and dinner) I usually have at least one healthy snack or mini meal if I am feeling hungry or weak. I eat 1200 calories a day so I try and save some calories for snacks. I find that it works better for me not to get too hungry and maintain my blood sugar level.
  • Sheri226
    Sheri226 Posts: 22
    Options
    I'm eating 3 meals and 1-2 snacks a day since I've been on MFP. Most meals are around 250-350 calories and the snacks are usually around 100 each. So I'm easily reaching my 1200 calories a day and by spreading it out I'm not feeling hungry as I once used to. On days I have a bigger meal planned I normally don't need the snack as I've learned eating a 400-500 calories meal I'm feeling like I have over eaten.
  • Stepmom1
    Stepmom1 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    5 meals... 3 meals and 2 snacks
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I eat when I get hungry. I have breakfast lunch and dinner, always a morning snack or 2 and an afternoon snack. Usually a snack when I get home before dinner. My snacks tend to stay in the 100 - 200 range, breakfast and lunch both around 300 - 400 each and dinner is whatever else I have left for the day.
  • gabearismendez
    Options
    i eat more like 5-7 times a day, more like snacking every 2 1/2 hours. i try hard to stay right now below 1500 calories a day. im training in the mornings 6days a week and cardio n the evenings after work, so this type of eating is imperative to my hypertrophy training. right now my goal is to basically get shreaded. need to get down to about 8% body fat. at the rate im going i hope to be there by end of july. i hope you reach your goals! good luck..
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    I'm hypoglycemic, so I eat 5-6 times a day. I generally eat 300-400 for major meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and only about 100-200 for snacks, except my right before bed snack, which is only about 40 or 50 calories (whole milk, avocado, protein shake). My snacks depend on whether or not I'm working out that day--I work out most days, so usually closer to 200. Depends on how hungry I am though. I just started doing it this way upon recommendation of my naturopath and I find that I'm much less likely to want to binge because my blood sugar is pretty controlled throughout the day. Cravings are starting to fade away. It's been great! I've also been sleeping better.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I eat three times a day, breakfast lunch and dinner. They are usually around 300-400 calories each, sometimes a little more or a little less. I also have pretty good snacks between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner. Like a yogurt in the morning and in the afternoon a plate of hummus with a half a pita and some carrots. Yum. Snacking is something I NEVER did before I dieted, but now I don't know how I lived without it!
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Options
    Since I started MFP, I stopped limiting myself to the '3 meals a day' mentality. I did this because I would find I was NEVER even getting close to my calorie limit. So now, I eat when I'm hungry. Sometimes that's several times a day, sometimes it's only 4. It's working for me, though.
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    Options
    5 times a day - three meals and two snacks - I dont let myself go more than four hours between eating and I wont eat (usually :laugh: ) anything in the last hour before i go to bed. The calories varry but are around 12-1400 a day- I also will sometimes skip a snack if I dont have the time to get all 5 in, usually its because I have slept in! :happy:
  • Alexis1227
    Options
    I'm just getting started on changing my eating habits. I am not a breakfast person so I'm trying to do a small snack type "meal" for breakfast.
    I'm at 2 meals and about 2 snacks a day right now.
    I've just started calorie counting this week on the food tracker and it seems most of my meals around around 300-400 calories and the snack meals are less than 200.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a snacker than a big meal person, always have been. I eat when I'm hungry, so about every 3 hours and the food ranges from 100-300 calories.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I eat three meals (and they vary by calorie-size... whatever I'm in the mood for & have left) and 2-3 snacks that are usually 100-200 calories each. The only thing that stays consistent is I try not to go lower than 400 calories for my breakfast, as this keeps me from being SO hungry during the day and overeating/snacking too much.
  • kajaknowers
    kajaknowers Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I eat usually 2 meals a day or maybe 3....and eat no later than 3PM as that seems to keep me full for the rest of the day x
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    6 meals a day, about every 2 hours.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I eat 6 times a day every 2-2.5 hours.
    Meals I try to keep around 350-500 calories, 200 cal snacks.
  • chelsinicole
    Options
    I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and two snacks between.
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    breakfast, lunch, very light dinner, one to two snacks. Better to eat more frequently and smaller meals. Supposedly, anything over 500 calories is not good because your body can only process about 500 calories in one sitting, so the extra will likely get stored as fat.