5'9" goal weight

Options
Hi, I am curious what others around 5'9" set your goal weight. I'm currently at 155 looking to get to 135 or so. I carry my extra weight in my stomach that I need to get rid of. I have a smaller frame, I have a small lower body with my waist at 28" which is small for my size

Replies

• MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I am currently 5'9" with a weight of 142. I would like to eventually gain 15 pounds or so assuming of course that I keep my body fat % low and am able to gain muscle instead of fat. Do you know your current body fat percentage? I am guessing (based on your current waist size at 155) that it would very very low at 135 assuming you lose primarily fat and not muscle as you cut weight.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    135 pounds on a 5'9" man seems awfully slim to me. I would suggest focusing on your body fat % and doing a little bit of body recomposition. Keep the 155 lbs, but lose some fat and build some muscle.

I'm female, 5'9" and weigh 135 lbs. My body fat is 19.5%. I'm pretty slim and can't imagine a man my height weighing the same and not being too thin.
  • My husband is 5 foot 9 and weighs around 11 stone (154 pounds). He is slim, big-shouldered and nicely muscular... just right.

I'm two inches shorter and think 135 pounds would be on the light side for me (probably). Why so low? :ohwell:
  • brscott22
    Options
    My husband is 5 foot 9 and weighs around 11 stone (154 pounds). He is slim, big-shouldered and nicely muscular... just right.

I'm two inches shorter and think 135 pounds would be on the light side for me (probably). Why so low? :ohwell:
    [/quote
    Well when I lose my fat around my stomach that's what I will probably weigh .
  • chism21
    chism21 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and aiming for 160
    I think you going way too low; try some weight training so you can get you cut
  • brscott22
    Options
    I talked with a personal trainer at the gym and she said because of my small frame that would be a good weight for me
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm 5.7 and currently at 138 and ~14% BF. I'm looking at 133 as a bulking point to then gradually gain from to get back to around 140lbs putting on as much muscle as possible. At 133 I'd still have a BMI of 21 but I know on the point of looking too slim personally.

I would suggest focusing on BF% and not looking at a particular lbs, its what counts in the mirror not on the scale.

At 5.9 you would still have a healthy 20 BMI but my guess is you'll need a very low BF% <10% to pull off actually looking good at 135lbs.
  • ShellysRoad
    ShellysRoad Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    all i can say is wow. i am 5'8" and currently 203. My goal is 185 (which still shows my BMI as overweight) then maybe 165.
  • phildawson75
    Options
    I talked with a personal trainer at the gym and she said because of my small frame that would be a good weight for me
    I wouldn't take that as gold if she's plucked out 135 as looking good. A calculated weight can look completely different than on paper. Make a body fat % as a target instead, it may be 135 is where you think you look ace but if that turns out to be 145 instead then its not an issue. She should be saying how ripped do you want to be!
  • phildawson75
    Options
    all i can say is wow. i am 5'8" and currently 203. My goal is 185 (which still shows my BMI as overweight) then maybe 165.
    yeah BMI isn't a great indicator tbh. I'd say for medium build at 5.8 tall 165 would be ace tbh.
  • brscott22
    Options
    I wouldn't take that as gold if she's plucked out 135 as looking good. A calculated weight can look completely different than on paper. Make a body fat % as a target instead, it may be 135 is where you think you look ace but if that turns out to be 145 instead then its not an issue. She should be saying how ripped do you want to be!
    thanks, that sounds like a better plan, I have started weight training and I will hopefully gain some muscle weight
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    <<5'9" currently about 147 lbs 13% body fat .. waist 28"... currently looking to re add some muscle, for me a good weight would be 155-160 at 12%body fat , but I guess it depends on your goals. I would say try a small cut maybe half a pound a week and hit the weights and maybe a little cardio and see what happens in a few months
  • cw1710
    Options
    I'm 5' 8.5" and 191lbs. I had a skin fold test about 3 weeks ago when I was at 197. My lean mass was 170 and my body fat percent was 13.5. I'm trying to burn the love handles from my 217lb days but I am shooting for mid to low 180s. 135 seems tiny.
  • brscott22
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, always like getting other perspectives
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    My hubs goal weight is 155 (5'9") and then he is going to bulk. He has a small frame.
  • 2210tim
    2210tim Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    155 seems a good weight for your height, i think as advised above you just need to hit the weights and cardio. Your weight will probably stay the same as you will be losing fat but putting muscle on. Im 5' 9" 1/4 ;) and 198 pounds and would ideally like to lose 15 pounds to get to my perfect look and weight ! Good luck !!
  • Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    I am 5'9" with meduim shoulders and legs and currently at 196. I am looking to get down to 180 for the first step.
  • wowhb30
    wowhb30 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    As everyone else said, 155 is a good weight for that height. I'm also 5'9" but having broad shoulders and all, I'm currently at 178 lbs but I hope to get around 160-165. Just focus on your composition rather than the number on the scale.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My husband is taller than you but also has a small frame and puts all his weight on his gut.

I would echo others and say look to your body fat not your weight.

Also, think about your carbs. For him, drinking a beer is like gluing the bottle to his belly in terms of how it looks. Lower (not low - maybe 40%) of low glycemic carbs combined with high fiber does wonders for his shape. It is also a necessary part of weight loss. He works out at LEAST an hour a day (he teaches tai chi) with no effect on weight. One month without beer and he dropped 17 pounds with no other changes. And he only drinks around 6/week. Just a thought.
  • nhradeuce
    nhradeuce Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Get your BF checked, you might be surprised. I am 5'9 and my goal weight has shifted a little but I am aiming for 160-170, what ever weight I am when I hit 12% BF. I am currently 174 at around 17%. At you age, I would definitely be raising by goal weight. It should be much easier for you to build muscle, you are in your prime years for that. Take advantage while you can. Based on your profile pic, 160 at 12% BF and you'd be ripped.