Do you try and 'make up' for bad days...

Options
2»

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Yep! Its called zig zagging!
    1 day i'll eat 3k and the next 2k-2500.

I sometimes plan an 'all fruit day'. :)

So if you had a 1600cal-1800cal day of nothing but fruit, where are you getting essential fats and protein?
    This is a surefire way to gaining weight and saying "but I ate sooooo much healthy fruit!"
    2 simple fruit a day with the rest of your carbs being fibrous.
    30% protein and 30% Fats.
    Youll lose fat in no time.
  • shakama
    shakama Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just start afresh the next day .... the new day!!! I may try to fit in an extra walk or some form of exercise the next day but i don't change my calories the next day... Cheers - Sharron
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Great to read all the responses, I'll just get over it and move on :smile: been struggling to make gym classes since starting my new job, so where as before I wouldn't really worry now I just think of the whole 3500kcal to loose a lb of fat! :frown: x
  • sgutteridge
    Options

One day is never going to have much of an impact on my weight overall.

This ^ ... Just as one day's dieting won't lose you much either! As long is it is just one day and not too frequently :smile:

My exact thoughts too
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ...or do you just forget about it and move on?

I'm not on about the odd cheat/spike day but if you drop the ball a bit do you try and make up the deficit the following day or two? Just curious.... :smile:

Yes!! when i go over, my morning work out is logged for the day before, than i will workout again that night. i try to do this consistantly however that last couple of days i have been lazy.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i do try to make up for it....but not in terms of not eating, I do it in terms of workig out extra hard. So I ate 3000 cals on saturday....went over by like 1300. So sunday I ran 6 miles and lifted weights for an hour. ended up eating 1300 cals, went to bed with an extra 600 cals on the table. Not even, but better. And there was no starvation involved.
  • Liberty_7728
    Liberty_7728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Try adding MIO to your water. It helps when you don't want "just" water and it is zero calories.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm doing it now, paying for my sins from the weekend.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I did have a bad eating weekend. So today I did L2 and L3 of 30 DS. Yes, I am also watching what I eat.
    I don't beat myself up about it.
  • BodyElectric1
    BodyElectric1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me feel better, I went 700 calories over my limit yesterday.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Today I had sausage and chips so I just went on exercise pedals whilst watching telly later for an hour and thats just over 600 cals so more or less covered the extra cals (the sausage was oven cooked and chips were oven chips, not fried.

Usually I'll try and get back on track the next day.
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    I forget about it and move on. Otherwise it just turns into a binge/starve cycle in a lot of cases I have seen. No thanks! We are all going to slip up, but just have to look at the big picture :D

Had 4,000 calories saturday. Ahhhh i new week

Wow, this binge/starve cycle explains perfectly what happened to me last week. For about a month I'd been pretty consistently having a much larger deficit than is recommended "biggest loser" style (although not to that extreme lol). Last Friday I felt lethargic and then later in the day starving and lay around all day and ate WAY too much. I was 700 calories over maintenance which was 1700 more than I was supposed to eat. The next day I felt not that hungry and quite energetic so I went all out on exercise and only ate 600 calories...I recorded a record burn on my Bodymedia Fit of 4600...I thought I was "making up for it". Thats all well and good (well not really) but the next day guess what, bam, I was again lethargic and starving. I almost had another binge and went to the grocery store to buy something sinful but somehow I walked out with only lettuce and strawberries :ohwell: .

I am now upping my daily calories to my BMR and if I fall off again will not try to "make up for it" by eating below my BMR the next day, although I might up the exercise if feeling spunky. Thanks for the advice in this thread!
  • enchantedbunny
    Options
    I think we all have cheat days, but for me, it's hard to fight the feeling of guilt the day or two afterward. It just motivates me to exercise more. If I really feel the need to "make up" for it, I might eat back only some of my exercise calories but I don't go below my daily goal.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    HI i work to a weekly average, so yes if have a day when i go over i will adjust the rest of my week accordingly. Seems to be working so far for me.

I really try to even out over the week, and when I've had an especially bad day, I'll add and extra workout within the three days following. I think it is important for me to be able to have an over day and know that I can make it up.
  • lisst87
    lisst87 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I don't have 'bad' days, just 'days' . I weigh once per week, I eat between 1000 - 1900 calories daily..some days less, some more It's not a conscious thing, just depends how I feel. If I'm sitting around doing nothing chances are I'm not feeling really hungry. I will carry forward calories over/under for a week and try to average it out but I don't stress if it doesn't . If anything I have a hard time eating enough rather than going over.

Honestly I have more important things to worry about than if I ate a few hundred calories over/under on one day..I went over by 1k a couple weeks ago and hit my biggest loss week since I started - and it was ToM also. As long as the scale is trending downwards over time and I feel good I don't stress about it.
  • Princess41463
    Princess41463 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Push some extra water.

Wow your loss is AMAZING! Does the water help? I'm awful for my liquid intake, I know I need to have more but just never want it (unless I'm at the gym) x

WATER is essential. I'm not a water drinker either so I had to make myself drink 8 ounces at a time, all at once. I do this once every hour until I get my 8 glasses in for the day, and then I sip on water or unsweetended tea the rest of the day/evening. It's the only way I can make sure I get enough water.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't really look at this as "dieting" (as a verb)...I've made this a long term lifestyle change in RE to what I'm putting in my body and just happen to be at a caloric deficit at the moment to achieve a healthy weight. If I go over a particular day I just move on...it's just one day of many, many days.