Heavy drinkers outlive nondrinkers

Options

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Fae's live forever......

IDK why, but this made me giggle...

ETA: My drunken ex is not going to make it much past his 60th birthday, I'm pretty sure. He's already probably a full-blown diabetic (diagnosed pre-diabetic years ago), and it looks like he may have cancer in his mouth. :drinker:
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I don't drink at all and have never had more than a glass of wine, it made me feel so weird and wobbly that although i drank small amounts for a bit I haven't now for years aside from the odd sip of champagne at a wedding.

Its not for health reasons and i don't feel proud not to drink or anything, its a personal preference.

You can all come to my funeral ;)
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Ok statistics geeks out there, we have a correlation which does not imply causation.

My theory is the stick up abstainers' *kitten* may be the death blow...

either way, :drinker:
  • LiveLoveHunt
    Options
    I have def lowered my intake of alcohol now that I am trying to lose weight. Those 800+ cal giant frozen margaritas are just not worth how much it takes to burn them off. BUT a glass of wine here and there or a light beer once in awhile is good for you.
    I didn't click on the link but just reading what you posted was enough to convince me to keep imbibing haha
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    That's a bull**** statement! My father died of alcoholism, so yeah, heavy drinkers do NOT outlive non drinkers
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    my grandma has been drinking a glass of red wine every night for ages and ages... she just turned 90. :) and she only takes a vitamin a day!
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    If you drink away your stress and sorrows, they don't affect your health, right? Seems legit :)
  • eikito
    eikito Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My parents were the same age, OK my dad was a couple of months older. They were together for 30+ years, so for that long period of time they had the same lifestyle, ate the same things are had the same amount of exercise BUT my dad was an alcoholic and my mum doesn't drink at all. In his late thirties he almost died of something related to his drinking and swore not to drink ever again.... yeah, right.... he died of liver Cirrhosis that he brought on to himself with his drinking way before he hit 60 because he kept at it. My mum is now 70 years old with no health problems, she just gets a bit tired, but at that age I guess it's normal.
    Result: neither my sister or me consume alcohol.
  • kmccormick42
    kmccormick42 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the content of the article, but I do know that I have been personally related to several alcoholics (including my father who was a wonderful man but was an alcoholic) and all died in their 40's. That's all I need to know to convince me of moderation.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Um, this article is definitely skewed because if that was the case my Dad wouldn't have died from all the complications his heavy drinking aka alcoholism caused him. I would rather die earlier than expected if it means I live. my life healthy and free of cerrhosis.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    heavy drinkers do NOT outlive non drinkers

Some do, some don't.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Ok statistics geeks out there, we have a correlation which does not imply causation.

My theory is the stick up abstainers' *kitten* may be the death blow...

either way, :drinker:

This.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    My great grandma got a bottle of Amaretto on her 96th birthday. hahaha
    She lived to be 100 and she drank pretty often. Not heavily though. Just a bit of Amaretto or a glass of red wine.

She got that bottle though, and looked at everyone else and said that it was hers and she wasn't sharing... hahaha its was so freaking cute.... :smile:
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m2yb98C43C1qihztbo1_500.gif
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna live forever

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2017200,00.html

But a new paper in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research suggests that — for reasons that aren't entirely clear — abstaining from alcohol does tend to increase one's risk of dying, even when you exclude former problem drinkers. The most shocking part? Abstainers' mortality rates are higher than those of heavy drinkers

Everyone's risk of dying is the same. Pretty much we all die once. (execet for those who are resucitated)

Everyone's risk of eventually dying is the same.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Well.

Beer for dinner it is, then.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    That's a bull**** statement! My father died of alcoholism, so yeah, heavy drinkers do NOT outlive non drinkers

There's a difference between people's individual experiences and an overall trend.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options

tumblr_mboprgJsOD1qgiq62o1_500.gif
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options

tumblr_mboprgJsOD1qgiq62o1_500.gif

lol