What would happen if i eat?

Options
nerchk
nerchk Posts: 136 Member
We all know its december and im really finding it hard to stick to my eating plan, (like i ever had any) anyway. What would happen if i never worried about food and ate whatever i wanted and continued gym for an hour or more a day? Its really not a question about weightloss but mainly about not gaining during the festive season.

Replies

• ma_oeuvre
    Options
    I'm finding it hard to for various reasons, which you'll know because we're friends on here :)

Look - worst case scenario: you gain weight. So many people will be doing this, so you'll be in good company. You just pick up where you left off. Christmas comes but once a year :)

It will be fine, whatever happens. Gain, lose, maintain - there's two weeks til new year, and Christmas Eve is a few days away - perhaps you could focus on some kind of eating plan til Christmas Eve, chill for Christmas Eve, Day, and Boxing day, pick it back up, accept that New Year might not go according to plan, then, come 2nd Jan, you're back on the wagon.

Just remember you are the one in control :) Don't worry, ok?
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to track per se but I think you should continue being conscious of what you're eating and make good choices. If you allow yourself to go all out (even binge) I think you'll undo all your hard work. So yeah I'm taking the middle road. Splurge a little it's the holiday season ~enjoy.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    What would happen if i never worried about food and ate whatever i wanted and continued gym for an hour or more a day? Its really not a question about weightloss but mainly about not gaining during the festive season.

It depends. Gorge yourself and you will gain weight, simple. Eat mindfully, stop when full, and eat MODERATE portions of the unhealthy stuff and chances are you will maintain your weight.

Don't let the excuse of the "holiday season" undo all of your hard work. Once you lose the weight and maintain, you will have to learn how to navigate holidays, vacations, social events and whatever else for the rest of your life. This is just the beginning, learn how to cope with it.
  • mominwi419
    Options
    I am loosening my grips a bit on eating this holiday season. Not a month-long binge, but on Christmas Eve, Christmas, and a few other days I am. Last year I was so afraid to eat anything that wasn't "on plan", that I had a hard time enjoying myself.

If I gain a pound or two, who cares? I know what to do to get it off.

And I will continue to be active.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I think you can always eat what you want and not gain weight - as long as you do not overdo your calories. I just got home from 5 weeks on vacation and was able to maintain eating out most meals just by counting calories. Now that I am home, back to the workout routine.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Depends what you ate, how much of it, for how many days, how intense your exercise regime is. It's so much easier to eat 500 calories than burn it - you can't do much damage in two days but can do a fair bit in three weeks.
  • OwenEvan
    OwenEvan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Something I have done that works for me during Holidays or other events that have menus that may not fit my eating plan is log food before I eat it. For instance for Thanksgiving I sat down and mapped out my day, this way I could eat without having to wonder in my head how I would keep track or how bad I was doing. This also allowed me to appriciate every bite instead of mindlessly eating which was the norm for so long. This also led to me going on a run Thanksgiving morning in anticipation of the days caloric intake.
  • anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I would tell you not to worry too much, but I would suggest that you try to limit yourself. Be aware of what you are eating. Don't go for seconds, don't pile your plate with deserts. Roughly keep track of what you're eating, you probably have an idea of what is high in calories and what is not. Eat more veggies, reduce the amount of starch/carbs that you would usually eat (potatos, stuffing, etc.). Drink lots of water and if you can sneak in a walk in the morning that would be a big plus! You can stay on track without going crazy counting. Good Luck!!!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out. If you spend an hour at the gym and burn 400 calories, but eat 1000 extra calories, you'll gain weight.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't know what would happen to you, what I do know is that was my model for many years and it didn't do anything for me as far as being at a healthy bf%. I need to balance food and exercise and monitor both to be successful, if I lose sight of one or the other I fail.
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Do people really eat like it's Christmas day everyday of December? One day or two days of "festivities" wont hurt you, but it is so hard for me to ignore what i know in the back of my mind while eating, so I have already skipped one christmas dinner at work and if i go to the one today, I wont be gorging on anything.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Let's just say this. I have a friend that teaches Zumba. Does 12 1 hour classes per week, and is 5'2 and about 210 pounds. She eats what she wants, works out a ton and is still overweight. I believe that to lose/maintain you really want watch what goes in too.
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Let's just say this. I have a friend that teaches Zumba. Does 12 1 hour classes per week, and is 5'2 and about 210 pounds. She eats what she wants, works out a ton and is still overweight. I believe that to lose/maintain you really want watch what goes in too.
    in verses out, no way around it.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You will gain weight, undoubtedly, if you exercise an hour, but overeat by several thousand calories a day.
    However, you can be strategic, and allow yourself maybe a pound weight gain over the few days of xmas, which is 3500 calories over, and that can be worked off pretty easily after.
    Alternatively, have a few xmas treats each day, moderate it, fill up on plenty of veggies and protein at mealtimes, and then you should be able to maintain.
    I will be going to the gym for a few days of my 5 day xmas break at my mum's, walking or working out in the bedroom maybe on xmas day and boxing day, and doing my best to not overeat as overeating leads to nothing but discomfort and less enjoyment of the food.