any success with eating TDEE - 20%

Options
I am starting TDEE - 20% today really scared, cause I will eat more than I normally would. I am 5'1'' and 65 have not lost in a long time...just up and down all the time. I am hoping to start losing again, I do 30 mins exercise everyday. Give me your idea on this:drinker:

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I have been gradually increasing to the roadmap, which is based off TDEE-20%, but I used the nifty provided spreadsheet so I wouldn't have to do math. I just bumped my calories to 1850, which is more than I used to eat when I "dieted" before. Of course, my dieting included eating 1000-1200 calories during the week (I could control my self at work) and then complete and utter binging on the weekends. I have not had any problems except I had a slight gain when I first started last adding in calories. However, last week I lost three pounds (hence why I'm still increasing calories). I also am usually very full and it's easier to resist temptations or binging.
  • daoc1972
    daoc1972 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I lost 15+ lbs eating TDEE - 15% starting in September. Before that, I was doing the 1200ish plan, lost weight, but was miserable with hunger, blackouts and headaches. I knew there was a better way. I just had to find it. Once I did, I jumped on it and much happier for it.

Be sure to split your calories 40/30/30 carb/good fats/protein.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I lost 15+ lbs eating TDEE - 15% starting in September. Before that, I was doing the 1200ish plan, lost weight, but was miserable with hunger, blackouts and headaches. I knew there was a better way. I just had to find it. Once I did, I jumped on it and much happier for it.

Be sure to split your calories 40/30/30 carb/good fats/protein.

Blackouts?
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've been eating at TDEE-20% for about 2 months. My progress is slow, but it's working better and more steady than when I tried to hold myself to 1300 calories. I aim for 1600-1800 calories a day and am losing inches in all the right places (I don't go near a scale that much, so I couldn't tell you my weight right now).

I'm only looking to lose maybe another 10ish pounds or so, but I am looking to build muscle and change my shape a little, so combining eating more with some weight training and a little cardio is working really well for me.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Yup, it works. I started at 1200 and was HUNGRY all the time, upped my caloriees and felt much better. I've lost 44 pounds total and I eat TDEE-10% most days. Some days I eat at TDEE, and I'm still doing great.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is the way to do it. I'm satisfied and not hungry, I have energy, and I am losing fat, but preserving muscle. I feel great, and I look better.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I do that but I only get 1043 calories a day. It is working for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I'm doing and it's working and I'm not miserable. I don't have any idea how people do these 1,200 calorie/day diets; even for the ladies, I can't imagine that you would have all that much energy.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yep - I have started losing consistently (half pound each week) since doing it since starting at the end of November, so admittedly it is early days...

AND I have had to stop my intensity of training as I am limited at the moment to just stretches and yoga until January due to a ****y knee - I put myself on Maintenance and try to remain at least at a 15% deficit and my full TDEE and still lost another half pound.

If you are worried, just increase by maybe a hundred or so cals a month (for me that would be a one or two additional healthy snacks or a mug of Horlicks at night!)...

tweak and experiment until you find the right level
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Yes, it works.
  • Simona40
    Simona40 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I switched my goals last week from what MFP set to TDEE minus 20% and I feel SO much better. I wasnt really hungry on the 1320 that MFP set for me but it irked me that an extra piece of chicken would put me over my calories for the day.

My current calories are set at 2000 and while I rarely reach that number I feel more...sane [??]. I no longer feel like I'm dieting.

ETA: since making that switch I've also lost 2lbs.
  • Jelenamiia
    Options
    I am starting TDEE - 20% today really scared, cause I will eat more than I normally would. I am 5'1'' and 65 have not lost in a long time...just up and down all the time. I am hoping to start losing again, I do 30 mins exercise everyday. Give me your idea on this:drinker:

I started TDEE-20% two days ago. And i m scared too :) But i have noticed that i dont eat to much calories during the day. Yesterday i literaly forced myself to eat dinner bcs i had just 1000 cal before dinner. I never counted my calories during the day and i though i always taking too much calories, but the truth is i didnt eat enough. At least not every day! And i do exercise 5 days per week - aerobic.
    Above all the most important is to eat healthy food. Ofcrs i dont do that every day, but i m trying! :)
    Even tho i still have doubts i understand that if u dont eat enough calories your body kinda shut down, bcs brains sending the massage '' keep that fat, we are not getting enough calories, and we will need it for tomorrow...''
    Thats what i learnd. So i go for TDEE-20%. !
  • RubyRed8067
    Options
    Perhaps I was doing something wrong, but I gained 11 lbs when I tried this. I made an effort at the gym, and also decreased my carb intake...I reduced my caloric intake again, changed my gym routine and have started losing again.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    Go for it! You may be surprised to find you can eat more food than expected. I've been eating just a hundred calories or so under my TDEE and thought I'd at least maintain my weight over the holidays, but ended up losing 3.5 lbs the past 2 weeks. Not sure why I'd still be losing the same amount as if I were eating lower calories, but I'm thinking it has to do with letting the body relax and not feel so anxious from the hunger than comes with lower calorie dieting. Also been trading some of my higher impact cardio for gentle yoga - who knows, maybe that's another hint that stress was affecting my weight negatively. Wish there was a straight-forward guide to understanding all the weird phenomena that occurs with weight. :tongue: Good luck with your new plan!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I was doing something wrong, but I gained 11 lbs when I tried this. I made an effort at the gym, and also decreased my carb intake...I reduced my caloric intake again, changed my gym routine and have started losing again.

You didn't do it for long enough for your body to reset your metabolism.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    After stalling when eating around 1200, I upped calories to TDEE - 17% as per RoadMap and within a week and a half started to lose 1lb a week again. I do 30 Day Shred for 20 mins per day but otherwise just walk the dog and general tasks around the house.

Its scary, but amazing because it works and it far more sustainable to reach your goal.
  • Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :)