Is Ground Turkey really that good for you?

Options

Replies

• longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe 96/4 Ground BEEF is only 130cal/4oz! and it's BEEF!!!!
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    It is definitely all about the % of fat in this case. Also, try making your own taco seasoning to avoid all of the junk in store-bought. Here's one that turns out great: http://tinyurl.com/celc8r5

Whats wrong with store bought taco seasoning?

Sodium.

I didn't even know you could get ground meat in a tube... but that sounds kinda scary. Just get ground meat from the meat section. Also, I have heard it's not that big a deal between turkey or beef. Personally, I prefer the taste of ground turkey of ground beef, but that's just preference of taste.

I agree on making your own seasoning too to cut out the sodium. I got a thing of el paso seasoning once... that was like... 2,000mg sodium right there. ouch. Lesson learned, never again.
  • youngpip
    youngpip Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Also, steer clear of any meat in a tube ;)
    ^^^this.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I don't know where you're from but it's a local store that's in Massachusetts and Connecticut: Big Y is the name/brand of the stuff. They actually make quite a few things that don't have added crap in it. I read and compare labels on everything that I buy for the added garbage.

I live in CT but we don't have a big Y anywhere nearby :( Small world though!

I don't think they have them on the western part of CT. I have one up the road here in Norwich.

Actually, just looking at the website, there's Big Y's in the western part of CT - such as Stratford - just not in Fairfield itself.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    ^^^this.

what the hell is meat in a tube??? sounds discusting :sick:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    calories have pretty much nothing to do with how healthy a food is. Getting a variety of protein sources is always a good idea.
  • brandie_lou
    Options
    Calorie count is not an indication of whether a food is healthy or not.

Actually, no single food is healthy or unhealthy. Your overall diet is healthy or not.

I'm sure that theory overall, may work. But not on a day to day aspect. A 1200 calorie single food (fast food hamburger) does indicate a single food isn't healthy, therefor indeed leading to overall indication ones life isn't healthy.
  • brandie_lou
    Options
    ^^^this.

OMFG I had no idea so many people would flip the he## out of that. Instead of it coming in a plastic trey or box, it comes in a paper wrapped "tube". For those who don't need 4-6 lbs of meet in the paper tray. It's small and round, usually for a small serving. Hamburger beef, sausage and ground chicken comes in the exact same thing in the damn meat section. Geeze.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Actually, no single food is healthy or unhealthy. Your overall diet is healthy or not

Ok, so lets say that someone eats fast food all the time, every single meal. Goes out to eat and makes not so healthy choices. This would be their diet which would be unhealthy because the food they are choosing is . . . . . unhealthy.

Take a person who eats salad, lean meats, lots of veggies, fruits, protein etc. etc. their diet would be considered healthy because their food choices are (wait for it). . . . . healthy!

So really food IS healthy or unhealthy when it comes down to a diet and what one chooses to eat.
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    ^^^this.

OMFG I had no idea so many people would flip the he## out of that. Instead of it coming in a plastic trey or box, it comes in a paper wrapped "tube". For those who don't need 4-6 lbs of meet in the paper tray. It's small and round, usually for a small serving. Hamburger beef, sausage and ground chicken comes in the exact same thing in the damn meat section. Geeze.

Calm down! Jeeze!

People are "flipping the hell out" because my guess is they are envisioning a toothpaste like tube where you squeeze some sort of "meat" product out of it. I know that's what I pictured when I saw that.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It is definitely all about the % of fat in this case. Also, try making your own taco seasoning to avoid all of the junk in store-bought. Here's one that turns out great: http://tinyurl.com/celc8r5

Whats wrong with store bought taco seasoning?
    It tastes pretty bland compared to homemade. Which is pretty much true for anything homemade vs store bought. That's about it.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    ^^^this.

Calm down! Jeeze!

People are "flipping the hell out" because my guess is they are envisioning a toothpaste like tube where you squeeze some sort of "meat" product out of it. I know that's what I pictured when I saw that.

i like your version. Like squeeze cheese but meat. I'd eat it.
  • tigersword
    Options

Actually, no single food is healthy or unhealthy. Your overall diet is healthy or not

Ok, so lets say that someone eats fast food all the time, every single meal. Goes out to eat and makes not so healthy choices. This would be their diet which would be unhealthy because the food they are choosing is . . . . . unhealthy.

Take a person who eats salad, lean meats, lots of veggies, fruits, protein etc. etc. their diet would be considered healthy because their food choices are (wait for it). . . . . healthy!

So really food IS healthy or unhealthy when it comes down to a diet and what one chooses to eat.
    Why does it have to be one extreme or the other? It's a logical fallacy called the "false dilemma" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma.) Are people not capable of eating occasional fast food, fitting it into the remainder of their nutrient dense diet, allowing for an overall healthy diet? Are people also not capable of eating ONLY salad, all day long, with no fruits or lean meats, and suffering from various nutrient deficiencies and being unhealthy? No INDIVIDUAL food is healthy or unhealthy, without consideration for the entire diet as a whole.
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    No INDIVIDUAL food is healthy or unhealthy, without consideration for the entire diet as a whole.

Apparently you missed my last sentence which basically says what you just said only different:

ETA: LOL! I just saw that you edited your post. And yes, I'm not disagreeing just pointing out what you said.
  • tigersword
    Options
    There is a distinction between food being healthy and unhealthy, and overall diets being healthy or unhealthy. 2 different concepts.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    There is a distinction between food being healthy and unhealthy, and overall diets being healthy or unhealthy. 2 different concepts.

this right here
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Lean hamburger tastes better is about the same amount of calories, plus has more iron and stuff. I buy whatever is cheaper.

I do use turkey sausage in place of Italian sausage in spaghetti and lasagna though. That is a pretty big calorie saver.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Fat content will naturally play into calories count, but in this case portion size will too. 2 Tbs. does not = 4 oz of meat.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Not everywhere has the same issues as the US. There is no sodium or bone and very little connective tissue in UK ground meat (mince), they aren't permitted to call it meat if it is not muscle meat. They can put salt and connective tissue in sausages but that is a meat product with an ingredients ingredients not meat, the meat content is always labelled as a percentage.
  • tigersword
    Options
    There is no sodium or bone and very little connective tissue in UK ground meat (mince), they aren't permitted to call it meat if it is not muscle meat. They can put salt and connective tissue in sausages but that is a meat product with an ingredients ingredients not meat.
    The rules are the same in the US, people just like to sensationalize.