Is Ground Turkey really that good for you?

Options
124»

Replies

• vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    ground bison.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Also, steer clear of any meat in a tube ;)
    ^^^this.

what the hell is meat in a tube??? sounds discusting :sick:

OMFG I had no idea so many people would flip the he## out of that. Instead of it coming in a plastic trey or box, it comes in a paper wrapped "tube". For those who don't need 4-6 lbs of meet in the paper tray. It's small and round, usually for a small serving. Hamburger beef, sausage and ground chicken comes in the exact same thing in the damn meat section. Geeze.

No meat in a tube? Next thing you know you're going to tell me I shouldn't eat hot dogs. Mmmmm.....hot dogs....... argharghargharghghghahahaghghrrhghgahah
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Also, steer clear of any meat in a tube ;)
    ^^^this.

what the hell is meat in a tube??? sounds discusting :sick:

OMFG I had no idea so many people would flip the he## out of that. Instead of it coming in a plastic trey or box, it comes in a paper wrapped "tube". For those who don't need 4-6 lbs of meet in the paper tray. It's small and round, usually for a small serving. Hamburger beef, sausage and ground chicken comes in the exact same thing in the damn meat section. Geeze.

Calm down! Jeeze!

People are "flipping the hell out" because my guess is they are envisioning a toothpaste like tube where you squeeze some sort of "meat" product out of it. I know that's what I pictured when I saw that.

HAHAHAHA thats exactly what I invisioned ....like a meat paste ....quiver
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I prefer ground white meat chicken for taco meat. It has the best taste and consistency while minimizing calories, fat and other negatives. If you get just the white meat, it will be much leaner... that is true of the turkey, too... but I found the chicken was just a bit better in my taco meat and family/friends who taste tested agreed.

As for your taco seasoning, why to make it at home? 1) It is WAY cheaper 2) You can make it as hot or mild as you like and 3) most importantly, even the "lower sodium" versions are OUTRAGEOUS for sodium content. For example, 2 measly teaspoons of Old El Paso & Taco Bell both have 560 mg of sodium (given daily recommended is 2,000, that's a lot), Krogers has 420 mg... you get the idea.

Here's a fast and easy recipe to make it if you want to try it. I got rave reviews from it and it has NO sodium in it.

2 teaspoons hot chili powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
    1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste (optional)
    1 pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste (optional)
    I use 1/2 tsp of NoSalt so that my seasoning is salt-free... but if you REALLY want to use salt, then to keep the sodium lower, try
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt or Morton's Lite Salt maybe??? But, I'd suggest you try the NoSalt, you might be pleasantly surprised.
  • brandie_lou
    Options
    Bahhaaa!! I can envision the tooth paste tube now. It wasn't SPAM, swear! It came from the real meat section! LOL!! I'll have to make better choice of words when posting :P
  • brandie_lou
    Options
    I think after reviewing the replies, I think I'll stick with the leanest ground beef. I was just under the assumption that turkey was more healthy than ground beef. But of course after the label, plugging it into my recipe maker, I was disappointed. I guess I should have also mentioned I wasn't eating as "tacos", more like a taco salad (sans lettuce and tomato) because I wanted to avoid eating the shells, I just crushed up one because I thought the meat was a lot healthier and thought I'd be getting a good source of lean protein.

Again, learning. Each day is a baby step and I'm learning. I also think I'll enjoy the taste and texture of beef as compared to turkey due to the gummy-ness.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I never use the package seasoning. It is loaded with sodium. I also only use the 99%FF ground turkey. I like to do salads and not the taco shells will save you a lot in calories and sodium too.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Again, learning. Each day is a baby step and I'm learning. I also think I'll enjoy the taste and texture of beef as compared to turkey due to the gummy-ness.
    Have you tried the white meat ground chicken I mentioned? It is healthier (less fat, less cholesterol, less bad stuff) than beef,it is a true lean protein, and it tastes better with better texture than turkey IMHO.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    No, it's not good for you.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    It is definitely all about the % of fat in this case. Also, try making your own taco seasoning to avoid all of the junk in store-bought. Here's one that turns out great: http://tinyurl.com/celc8r5

Whats wrong with store bought taco seasoning?

Umm, yeah. My taco seasoning has:
    Spices (including chili pepeprs, cumin, oregano, and red pepper), onion, Whey solids (milk), salt, sugar, paprika, garlic, potato starch and citric acid.

Where's the "added junk"? Whey solids and potato starch probably make it thick when you add it to the meat. Citric acid is something you can buy and is a weak organic acid. It is a natural preservative/conservative.

Salt? Well salt is salt and while sugar is probably not necessary it gives it a little bit of taste is my guess.

So again, where is all the "added junk"?:huh:

ETA: This is literally a recipe that you could probably use to make it from home.

The "junk" could be in the "spices". MSG does not have to be listed separately on the label if it is part of something else. It is why you will often see "No added MSG" on a label. Almost every time you see a label with that on it, means there is MSG in the product. What you really want to see is "No MSG" or you want to see every spice listed separately if you are trying to avoid it. Also be aware of "spice extract".

MSG gives me wicked migraines, so I really had to learn what to look for.

As for ground turkey, it's about as good as any other ground meat. Personally I prefer moose.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You are aware MSG is a naturally occurring chemical in just about everything, including meat and most vegetables, right?
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I have tried and tried, I just cant eat that stuff. On the other hand it sure cuts down my calorie intake. LOL
  • alaskaang
    Options
    You are aware MSG is a naturally occurring chemical in just about everything, including meat and most vegetables, right?

Yes, glutamates are in many things. Just because is naturally occuring doesn't mean it's a good thing. It's a matter of the quantity and concentration of free glutamate that is problematic. Mushrooms and parmesan are both naturally very high and I have to avoid them for the most part. In terms of meat and poultry, anything with "flavor enhancing" solution added. How meat and fish are processed also makes a difference. Plus anything with hydrolized protein, natural flavors, autolyzed yeast, and soy products.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I only buy 99/1 ground turkey, and although it's hard to swallow sometimes, it's a phenomenal way to hit protein goals without overloading on fat. I just macerate it with Sriracha.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    It is definitely all about the % of fat in this case. Also, try making your own taco seasoning to avoid all of the junk in store-bought. Here's one that turns out great: http://tinyurl.com/celc8r5

Whats wrong with store bought taco seasoning?

Packets of taco seasoning are a ripoff. Up to $1 for a few pennies worth of seasoning that you could make with spices you likely have on-hand. chili powder, onion powder, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, cumin. maybe something else.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

Yes, glutamates are in many things. Just because is naturally occuring doesn't mean it's a good thing. It's a matter of the quantity and concentration of free glutamate that is problematic. Mushrooms and parmesan are both naturally very high and I have to avoid them for the most part. In terms of meat and poultry, anything with "flavor enhancing" solution added. How meat and fish are processed also makes a difference. Plus anything with hydrolized protein, natural flavors, autolyzed yeast, and soy products.

No scientific studies have shown that MSG actually has any adverse effects when used in food.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I grind meat myself so I know for sure it is free of beaks and feathers and I know the fat content... Also I make my taco seasoning myself too. I LOVE it! I just mix up a huge batch and then use two tablespoons at a time. It's way cheaper than the stuff you buy in a single envelope.

Here's my recipe for taco seasoning:
    1/3 cup chili powder ( the really dark chili powder is the best!_
    1 -2 T garlic powder
    1T onion powder
    1T oregano
    2T paprika
    2 and 1/2 T cumin
    2 T black pepper
    1-2 T sea salt
    add a teaspoon or two of crushed red pepper flakes if you like it spicier.
  • alaskaang
    Options

No scientific studies have shown that MSG actually has any adverse effects when used in food.

That is correct and the FDA considers it as "generally recognized as safe" which is why it can be in some things and not be labelled. There being no scientific study showing it as adverse, does not mean that it is healthy. For myself, I need to avoid as much of it as possible because it is problematic. Migraines are not pleasant and I prefer avoid them so I avoid the trigger which in my case is high levels of free glutamate.
  • youngpip
    youngpip Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bahhaaa!! I can envision the tooth paste tube now. It wasn't SPAM, swear! It came from the real meat section! LOL!! I'll have to make better choice of words when posting :P
    LOL! I'm from the UK and as far as I know we don't have meat in a tube here, that's why it freaked me out! Mmm turkey toothpaste!