That which hangs below

Options
Funny topic huh? Seriously though...I'm 39, and have had 2 children via c-section and a hysterectomy. I have NEVER had a flat tummy. Now that I have lost 40+ lbs I'm interested in getting rid of the stubborn belly fat. I don't want pills, drinks, special foods, etc.. I'm looking for some real exercises that will make a difference. Anyone?

Replies

• rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Weights. Weight will help, however I'm not sure we can ever get rid of the c-section pouch completely
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Huh, I was thinking a guy posted this topic. XD
  • dunlunicor
    dunlunicor Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    The advice I've always been given is get your body fat as low as you are comfortable having it, and then, if it still bothers you, look into a tummy-tuck. A lot of insurance will actually cover it if a doc will say that it's hindering your daily life. But honestly, those are your battle scars. You earned them, so why not learn to love them instead?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Weights are definitely your best bet
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    This is so not what I was expecting...
  • GrnEyes839
    GrnEyes839 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I walk on the treadmill about 4 times per week, for an hour. It wasn't giving results so I started holding weights. I seriously saw a difference in my arms. When I don't walk I use the elliptical or stationary bike. In the summer and up until it turned cold I rode for an hour and 15 hour and 20 on the mountain bike, working extremely hard. I've lost some of the weight, but have a bit to go. I would really like to get rid of the belly.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    SPanx
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've had 1 kid by c-section. If my next kid is born that way, I'm going to ask them to sew me up a little tighter when I'm done! Lol. One thing I have found is that mederma or dermae scar gel and massage really help the scar, my scar was adhering before and that has helped to make it into just a plain line that isn't indented at all. I have a bikini scar, which I think is the easiest kind to deal with vis a vis the pouch.

I've done various exercises that have helped flatten me out. I'm not totally there but I am no longer technically overweight and it has definitely helped a lot. The best ab exercise I have found is the one where you do crunches bicycle-style (left elbow to right knee, right elbow to left knee, etc.) You can amp it up by adding weight when they get too easy, like I keep my hands by my ears still but I hold onto a barbell.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Low body fat + heavy squats, heavy deadlifts and heavy lunges.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    It is so hard to lose! I had two 9.5 lb babies, the last 17 yrs ago, and even at my lowest weight of 118lbs, I still have the pooch. I think it's loose skin, it jiggles.
  • Princess41463
    Princess41463 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have searched high and low for years, consulted with my regular physician and a naturopathic doctor, and have had a couple of consultations with plastic surgeons as well as hired a personal trainer. There is no way to rid ourselves of this excess belly blob. Exercise will definitely improve it, but there will always be the "pouch" that refuses to go.

Like another poster said ... learn to love it (or at least accept it as a beautiful imperfection) or have a tummy tuck. Most surgeons (reputable ones) will only perform a tummy tuck if you have done all the abdominal work and can't improve any further. If you find one who will do it before that...you're wasting your money.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I walk on the treadmill about 4 times per week, for an hour. It wasn't giving results so I started holding weights. I seriously saw a difference in my arms. When I don't walk I use the elliptical or stationary bike. In the summer and up until it turned cold I rode for an hour and 15 hour and 20 on the mountain bike, working extremely hard. I've lost some of the weight, but have a bit to go. I would really like to get rid of the belly.

Actual weight training, not just walking around with them. I think the problem may be that you're at a healthy weight, but higher % body fat than you would like. The only way to remedy that is to replace that fat with muscle...the only way to do that is to actually lift. Cardio is great and I love it, but it only gets you so far and does little for overall body composition.

This has been working brilliantly for my wife since the birth of our 2nd boy and has motivated me to get my *kitten* back to the gym.
  • spiregrain
    Options
    ... But as I'm sure others will tell you, you can't spot reduce fat from just your belly. Keep losing weight, at some point it will be the weight on your belly. Then you have to give your skin a little time to adjust to the new size of you, which it may not totally do 100%.

Edit: And yes, agree with the above poster who is pointing out you can be at a weight that is in your "normal" range without having the bodyfat% you want. This is my situation as well. :)
  • GrnEyes839
    Options

Actual weight training, not just walking around with them. I think the problem may be that you're at a healthy weight, but higher % body fat than you would like. The only way to remedy that is to replace that fat with muscle...the only way to do that is to actually lift. Cardio is great and I love it, but it only gets you so far and does little for overall body composition.

This has been working brilliantly for my wife since the birth of our 2nd boy and has motivated me to get my *kitten* back to the gym.

Makes sense. I am at a higher % of body fat than I would like. I'll try the weights. Thanks! And thanks to those who have replied... I'm a bit skeptical about asking what a "spanx" is though?
  • GrnEyes839
    Options
    ... But as I'm sure others will tell you, you can't spot reduce fat from just your belly. Keep losing weight, at some point it will be the weight on your belly. Then you have to give your skin a little time to adjust to the new size of you, which it may not totally do 100%.

You are right, I don't know much about fat reduction other than it comes off slowly :) I would be happy with small tummy, but not what I have now..yuck!
  • spiregrain
    Options

You are right, I don't know much about fat reduction other than it comes off slowly :) I would be happy with small tummy, but not what I have now..yuck!

Believe me, I'm with you!!! Good luck. :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Makes sense. I am at a higher % of body fat than I would like. I'll try the weights. Thanks! And thanks to those who have replied... I'm a bit skeptical about asking what a "spanx" is though?

It's just a supportive undergarment.
  • banger711
    banger711 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My wife would leave me if I get rid of that :)