Intermittent fasting - your view pls

Options
Hi

Been hearing loads about this at the moment.

Would love to hear your views/experiences.

Thanks

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i do it two-three times a week. I eat dinner around 7-8 pm, then I dont eat until after 1 pm the next day, but I still eat my entire daily allotment of calories - if I can - im usually not as hungry as my eyes are by the time I reach 1pm
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Not a fan, tried it and it had no effect positive or negative.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I fast daily between about 9pm and 6am...
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I like it. A lot.

I hate eating more than tree meals a day because I just feel like I'm eating all the time, and I'm a volume eater - when I eat, I eat big - and after big meals I feel kinda sluggish. Not really all that hungry till around 1PM, anyway. Maybe later. Then I get to pig out on some giant meals to meet my calorie goal.

Weirdly enough, I actually find it *harder* to eat more by splitting my calories throughout the day. Give me five meals of 500kcal and I'll struggle, but put one 2000kcal meal in front of me and I'll devour it. And still probably have room for dessert. But maybe that's just me.
  • hiphopjunkie02
    hiphopjunkie02 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I only eat from 1230pm-6pm, fasting all other times. I pretty much ate this way naturally anyway so it hasnt been a big adjustment for me. I still track my calories to make sure I am staying within my range. I have lost 6.2 lbs over the last 2 weeks mostly from the fasting I believe. Doesnt hurt to try if you are interested... I will say though IF is really only for the strong minded...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Without ever hearing the term, I pretty used this method to stay thin for most of my life. I've never been much of breakfast eater and would rarely eat anything before early-mid afternoon, and often nothing till evening. I like to eat a big dinner (including seconds or thirds sometimes). I never did it because I thought it would give me some metabolic advantage, I just did it because I wasn't hungry and I wanted to stay slim.

I still rarely eat anything before early afternoon, though I do have a cup of soy milk with protein powder in the mornings. I have been toying with the thought of going back to eating that way since I was happy eating that way. Maybe after the holidays.
  • RikkiDominey
    RikkiDominey Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I love it! It has helped me so many times through a rut and also helps with my cravings/ eating when I'm not really hungry.

Hodge twins on YouTube have an awesome channel with info and you can find other ppl that are doing it.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/fastingtwins

My eating window is 12-7, I'm eventually gonna move it to 12-6 and then maybe again.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    My goal is large amounts of muscle, 6000 calories a day. Wouldn't work for me. 6000 good calories in 6-8 hours? Not gonna happen.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    My goal is large amounts of muscle, 6000 calories a day. Wouldn't work for me. 6000 good calories in 6-8 hours? Not gonna happen.
    Agreed.

That being said, it works. I did it during contest prep. What really worked was the deficit and not when I ate.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Agreed.

That being said, it works. I did it during contest prep. What really worked was the deficit and not when I ate.

Works for my other half as you've seen but when you're 255-260lb like me and looking to gain much more you simply gotta eat and eat and eat. I've got a crazy metabolism too, which puts on only a little muscle bit by bit and a little fat - i'm proud if I gain 1lb in a couple of weeks atm LOL
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    The only valid point I see in the article is when she states... "I am neither a scientist nor a doctor.."
  • dukslayer4051
    dukslayer4051 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has different result because we are all different. For me, i love it. It helps me track m y cals better cus i can get it all in two meals. I pushed my cals up from 1780=>2400…and im melting like butter. I was really woried i would be hongry all tha tyme but its actually been opposite. Even helps with cravings...and man the energy is crazy...no crash like you would think.
    I started out with a 8 hr eating window and now im down to two. I feel great.... add me if u want...its been good for me.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Agreed.

Works for my other half as you've seen but when you're 255-260lb like me and looking to gain much more you simply gotta eat and eat and eat. I've got a crazy metabolism too, which puts on only a little muscle bit by bit and a little fat - i'm proud if I gain 1lb in a couple of weeks atm LOL
    I would love to see what you eat in a day. :happy: I am at 3100-3200 and I stay hungry. Reverse dieting sucks but oh well.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    I think everyone has different result because we are all different. For me, i love it. It helps me track m y cals better cus i can get it all in two meals. I pushed my cals up from 1780=>2400…and im melting like butter. I was really woried i would be hongry all tha tyme but its actually been opposite. Even helps with cravings...and man the energy is crazy...no crash like you would think.
    I started out with a 8 hr eating window and now im down to two. I feel great.... add me if u want...its been good for me.
    You only eat within a two hour window? How do you handle social events?
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love it! I'm also a volume eater and like having my two big meals. My feeding window is 12-6 pm on most days.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I've had excellent results, and love it!
  • bpjones2000
    bpjones2000 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    IF helped break a plateau. I try to fast for 24hrs twice a week (6pm-6pm). It moves the scales for me. Just becareful not to overdo it on the next day
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Not my thing. I've done it involuntarily and it sucks. I like food, whenever and wherever.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan. My nutritionist told me to eat every 2 - 3 hours because I'm diabetic. My coworkers perfer that I eat because I'm too cranky if I don't. I find I lose weight now when I didn't before -- and I would only eat once a day before.