Pregnancy and Calories

Just looking for some opinions. I'm 18 weeks pregnant and have started back at the gym doing boot camp classes. I'm earning about 500 calories a day. Would you eat the calories back if you were me?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    I would consult with your doctor so that you can be sure you are nourishing yourself and your baby properly.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    You're pregnant. You want to eat in a calorie surplus. You can do the bookkeeping however you like.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    You're pregnant. You want to eat in a calorie surplus. You can do the bookkeeping however you like.
    You should be eating a surplus of 300-500 calories a day.

Make sure to consult your doctor (if you haven't already) about performing strenuous exercise.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Have you been exercising throughout the entire pregnancy? I hope so, because starting Boot Camp at 18 weeks sounds a little risky if you've been sedentary. That said, YES, eat the calories!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member

This, and talk to your doctor. My doctor was great at recommending how much (approximately) I should expect to gain through my pregnancy and what trimester each of those pounds should be gained. I gained way more than she suggested. For me, I have a difficult time recommending calorie counting because it is of the utmost importance that you havew sufficient calories to grow that baby.

Also, my doctor suggested I take it a little easier than my normal exercise, but still maintain an exercise schedule because I was exercising strenuously before hand. She told me not to increase the stress on my body.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member

Make sure to consult your doctor (if you haven't already) about performing strenuous exercise.

Also, just to throw this out there. There is a 99.9% chance your doctor doesn't know anything about MFP and its method of separately accounting for exercise calories. If he gives you a calorie target, it will most likely be based on estimated TDEE + a surplus, which is totally normal and reasonable. In this case, you wouldn't worry about "eating back exercise calories"
  • DontStopB_Leakin

Also, just to throw this out there. There is a 99.9% chance your doctor doesn't know anything about MFP and its method of separately accounting for exercise calories. If he gives you a calorie target, it will most likely be based on estimated TDEE + a surplus, which is totally normal and reasonable. In this case, you wouldn't worry about "eating back exercise calories"
    ^Yup.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Yes, eat them back.

Also, unless you've been doing boot camp all along, I don't recommend picking up this kind of workout during pregnancy. Generally, maintaining your pre-baby level of fitness with modifications (no jumping or jarring exercises, etc.) is a good idea, but it's not recommended to try something new while pregnant unless you're already in good physical condition working at the same level of fitness as before. If you are very fit, then you should be fine to continue.
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,012 Member
    Bootcamp? At 18 weeks? And you're concerned about whether or not you should eat your exercise calories? Please talk to your doctor before taking another class ... and before you even pick up the phone, YES, eat more.
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Yes, definitely! Now is not the time to worry about weight loss or maintenance. You're thin and will gain weight during pregnancy.

Get used to the idea for the health of your baby.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    I now see that you've already done this three times.

I'm at a loss for words...
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    I know lots of women who did strenuous workouts until they were so big they couldn't do it anymore. I don't think you're dumb for doing strenuous exercise, but I do think that if you don't know if you should be eating 500 calories worth of exercise back into your body, you probably should speak with your doctor and ask her to give you a ballpark calorie goal.

Unless you have a medical condition, and you feel good, there's no reason your exercise needs to be less vigorous. But do be careful about eating enough.
  • Being in your second trimester, it is healthy to eat about 300 calories above your maintenance. Any extra calories burned during exercise should be eaten back as well to allow the surplus to remain. Enjoy the extra food...being pregnant is crazy! For me, some days I'm nauseous because my blood sugar is too high, other days my blood sugar gets too low-even if I had just eaten a well-balanced meal an hour beforehand. Listen to your body and don't be afraid that you're eating too much if your body is asking for it.

Good luck with the pregnancy and feel free to add me if you'd like. :) I'm due in February.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Just looking for some opinions. I'm 18 weeks pregnant and have started back at the gym doing boot camp classes. I'm earning about 500 calories a day. Would you eat the calories back if you were me?

I would say you should. I'm pregnant with my 2nd child (11w) and I am eating my excercise calories back. You don't look like you need to lose a bunch of weight, so you should be eating to maintain, rather than at a calorie deficit. The most important thing is a healthy baby and mommy!

An anecdote: When a friend of mine was pregnant, she ate really healthy, very clean; when she gave birth, the midwives and doctors all commented on how healthy her placenta was.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Came back to add: Your diary looks fine, 2000 calories should not give you a problem. I was concerned maybe you were eating at a serious deficit.

Also: " I consider myself a CHEEGAN. Which means a sometimes a cheese and meat eating vegan."
    This might be the funniest thing I've read in anyone's profile
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    I would consult with your doctor so that you can be sure you are nourishing yourself and your baby properly.

^ What they said. Everyone can be a bit different and your doctor should be giving you a target weight to go towards for each trimester if not month.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    i thought pregnancy was the time to chill out and cut back on the diet and exercise and enjoy this time........... but bootcamp at 18 wks" and thinking about calories" i was too tired to do anything like that, at 18 wks it was walking for me and light weights.

thumps up though for being so determined about your health and fitness at this such time
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    As a an OB nurse who is now teaching this, and if your photo is truly representative of how you started, you need to gain about 30 lbs for your whole pregnancy. Subtract what you have gained so far and divide the difference by 22. that will tell you how many pounds to gain per week until your due date. Your weight gain may not follow that exact curve, but that is a guideline to follow. Remember it takes approximately 500 extra calories per day for anyone (not pregnant) to gain a pound in a week. If you are exercising enough to negate that extra intake, you need to cut down on the exercise or eat more.
    If you have been doing this exercise before it might be okay to continue, but if you have a history of any complications, don't do it until you run it by your doctor. I wouldn't say you absolutely should not, but it is true that any woman is more prone to injury during pregancy because of the softening effect the hormones that maintain pregancy have on connective tissues, in particular, not to mention the change in center of gravity and balance as you grow. Take it easy so as to avoid injury.
  • ImaFitMormon
    ImaFitMormon Posts: 31 Member
    Yes, I was on the couch for 2 months because I was so sick but prior to that I've been extremely active.
  • you need to eat if you are hungry. you dont want the baby to take all of what you have, you want the baby to take from the food you eat.