talking about exercise - question (and my story)

Options
6 months ago, I was the definition of a couch potato. Even worse than a couch potato, because I didn't even like sitting on the couch...I spent the vast majority of my time in bed (including working from there 3 days per week). I had not exercised in years and I didn't even go for walks.

And then something happened - not sure what. My new neighbor invited me to go for a walk with her, and since I don't know anyone who lives around me, I went. It was awful physically. I felt like I was going to die in the first 10 minutes, walking up a big hill. But we kept going for walks, and a few weeks later she asked if I wanted to start running. I really didn't, but I didn't want to say no, so I said I would try. I started C25K the next day, assuming I would do it once or twice and then quit.

So here I am 6 months later. I finished C25K in August and ran my first 5k in September. I ran another 5k in November, beating my first time by 8 minutes. Today I ran 6 miles. I'm so excited about my progress, and so flabbergasted at the life I live now. I seriously never thought that "I just got back from a 6 mile run" was something that would ever come out of my mouth, unless maybe I was in a play or making fun of someone.

But I can't talk about it. My friends don't workout at all, so it feels like bragging if I bring up my running. It's sad because it's what I'm thinking about and excited about and I want to share it with people, but I can't.

So I guess my question is, what do you do? Do you talk about your runs/rides/workouts/etc.? Would you if you were me?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'd find other runners to talk to. :smile:
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    If it's important to you.... why can't you talk about it? You're not bragging, you're passionate.
    If I didn't talk about my workouts and time at the gym... I'd not have a lot to talk about besides nutrition and wellness stuff :flowerforyou: It's the LIFESTYLE I've chosen to have.

If they don't like it... get new friends! :happy:

If you want to talk about your workouts, I'd love to be your friend!
  • Polaris99
    Options
    I say get some new friends (you don't have to get rid of the old ones). Running is wonderfully social. I met some of my most wonderful friends through a running club. It also provides tremendous incentive to get out there. There will be days when your motivation drops, and it will become too easy to find some excuse not to run. But when you know a friend or two are waiting for you, then those excuses don't matter. There were lots of times I met friends at 6:00 am for a 10 mile run when it was 20 degrees outside. If it was just me, I probably would have gone back to bed.

Congratulations on your new life. You're going to love it!
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I don't run much lately but I don't have many real life friends who can stand to hear me talk about running. However I have a lot of awesome friends on MFP who run and inspire me every day. I never would have run a half marathon if not for the support and inspiration on here. I also trained for a full and was sidelined by injury but still hope to complete it one day. I say indulge your passion for running in any way you can-it's a wonderful thing. Congrats on your fantastic progress!
  • MonicaLee92
    Options
    First off, That's amazing! You have come so far!! And you should be able to talk with your friends about your running and other stuff along with that! If they're really not that interested maybe join a running club or something and make some additional friends who love doing the same things as you! If they enjoy this as much as you they'll want to hear about it! At the same time you do have all of us to talk to about it :):flowerforyou:
  • samgray86
    samgray86 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have my friends who are interested in fitness, and my friends who aren't. Just talk about it with those who are interested. In my case, I have some people in my life who mock my attempting a fit life and I believe it is because they are insecure. They are rude about it and try to say that exercise and healthy eating "isnt healthy" Unfortunately a few of my so called friends are like that and I feel that because of their tone, we probably shouldn't hang out anymore. Never feel like your bragging if your not, be proud of the healthy lifestyle you are taking on. If they love you, they will want to hear about what makes you happy, as long as you arent being rude to them, which im sure you arent. Be proud of yourself.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think it's okay to mention it once in a while to your more sedentary friends. After all, where would you be if your neighbor hadn't asked you to go for a walk?

But, if they're uncomfortable with you talking about it, or you need to talk about it a lot, then, yes, you probably need to get a few friends that you can share your new interests with.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    6 months ago, I was the definition of a couch potato. Even worse than a couch potato, because I didn't even like sitting on the couch...I spent the vast majority of my time in bed (including working from there 3 days per week). I had not exercised in years and I didn't even go for walks.

And then something happened - not sure what. My new neighbor invited me to go for a walk with her, and since I don't know anyone who lives around me, I went. It was awful physically. I felt like I was going to die in the first 10 minutes, walking up a big hill. But we kept going for walks, and a few weeks later she asked if I wanted to start running. I really didn't, but I didn't want to say no, so I said I would try. I started C25K the next day, assuming I would do it once or twice and then quit.

So here I am 6 months later. I finished C25K in August and ran my first 5k in September. I ran another 5k in November, beating my first time by 8 minutes. Today I ran 6 miles. I'm so excited about my progress, and so flabbergasted at the life I live now. I seriously never thought that "I just got back from a 6 mile run" was something that would ever come out of my mouth, unless maybe I was in a play or making fun of someone.

But I can't talk about it. My friends don't workout at all, so it feels like bragging if I bring up my running. It's sad because it's what I'm thinking about and excited about and I want to share it with people, but I can't.

So I guess my question is, what do you do? Do you talk about your runs/rides/workouts/etc.? Would you if you were me?

Well you have come to the right place to share your success and future goals!!! Surround yourself with supportive people! Make new friends, join a gym! And heck yea if I ran 6 miles I'm telling everyone I know, regardless if they workout or not. I'm gonna be that obnoxious Facebook poster ..'just got back from a 6 miles run, I feel great!!' 99% of the people on my friend's list will roll their eyes...but hopefully I can inspire someone to get out there and give it a try too!
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    First: wow! Go you! I'm in a boot for three more weeks from being a sucky runner, but it was just starting to get fun, so I hope I can post the same thing someday.

To the actual question: I come on here or hang around the gym to talk about fitness stuff, mostly, because I know nobody I know outside of those places wants to hear it. It's part of the whole friend contract thing - they have to act excited if I say something really exciting like "woo, new deadlift PR last night!" but I have to rein it in and not constantly detail every second of every workout. (Occasionally my children have to put up with that, because I am the boss of them. But on the plus side, my 3-year-old knows where her triceps are.)
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    when i talk about my workouts all my friends look at me like im obsessed so now i just keep it to myself,im on c25k week 6 now and love it but all i hear from people is you shouldnt be out jogging by yourself its dangerous or that cold weather wil make you sick ,blah blah blah blah blah blah.....................................then when i workout at home all i hear is oh your working out too much ,you need to take it easy blah blah blah ,i workout 4 to 5 days a week ,no more than an hour each time,im eating way better and way more since starting oN MFP ,but the support i get on this site from all my amazing friends is all i need, and to see my body changing and getting stronger is enough to make me happy ..........
  • es2189
    es2189 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! You're definitely right that I need to find new friends who are interested in fitness. Fortunately, I have my husband, who's more obsessed with fitness than I am, but I'd love to be able to talk with someone other than him (and since he does 110-mile bike rides, my 6-mile runs are not as impressive!).
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! You're definitely right that I need to find new friends who are interested in fitness. Fortunately, I have my husband, who's more obsessed with fitness than I am, but I'd love to be able to talk with someone other than him (and since he does 110-mile bike rides, my 6-mile runs are not as impressive!).

Isn't that sort of the reason mfp exists? It's preferable to have a real life support system but, you know, geography and such has its limitations. If you don't have people near you that talk endlessly about fitness guess what? Welcome to the mfp forums, where the frigging runners are like blah blah blah good for your heart blah blah blah all day long. You'll fit right in here and we're happy to have you. Welcome to your new home away from home.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    This is why I'm active on here. When I talk about fitness IRL I see people's eyes glaze over as they're mentally making their grocery lists.
  • es2189
    es2189 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Isn't that sort of the reason mfp exists? It's preferable to have a real life support system but, you know, geography and such has its limitations. If you don't have people near you that talk endlessly about fitness guess what? Welcome to the mfp forums, where the frigging runners are like blah blah blah good for your heart blah blah blah all day long. You'll fit right in here and we're happy to have you. Welcome to your new home away from home.

:) oh yea, of course, that's why i love mfp. everyone is amazing. but it's still not the same as sharing it with the people i spend all day with, you know? i want to talk to my best friend about it, but i know she doesn't like it (not that she would EVER be anything but supportive, but i can just see it in her face when i talk about it).
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    See if there's a local running club you can join. Our local one has runs nearly every weekend, and it's easy to meet friendly people. If you sign up to volunteer at a race you are guaranteed to make a new friend or two (and often you can get a discount on your next race entry fee).