Lose with Weight Training

Options
Has anyone successfully lost weight with weight training alone?

Replies

• Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options

What do you mean by weight training alone? Do you mean weight training as the only form of exercise or as the only thing about your lifestyle that you change?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

What do you mean by losing weight? Do you mean losing bodyfat and maintaining lean mass, effectively changing your body composition and dramatically improving your overall appearance?

If so, the answer is HELL YES.

Here, I made this little picture to illustrate just this point:

2012-10-23063957-1.jpg

That's only 3mos time, and 40lbs of almost entirely fat (215lbs to 173lbs). I did ZERO cardio other than about 15 minutes of heavy bag work before my 1hr or so low rep/high intensity lifting routine.

The same type of routine is incredibly effective for women as well.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    yes. exercise and weight loss are independent.
  • tenshiblue
    tenshiblue Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I mean lose weight without doing any cardio exercise but with weight training alone.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    yes. exercise and weight loss are independent.

Independant certainly, but by intelligently applying the former to your diet, you can most definitely improve the effects on the latter.
  • BetterThanThor
    Options
    I do almost no cardio
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    *raises hand*
  • tenshiblue
    tenshiblue Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    crisanderson, those are pretty amazing results. Was your calorie intake at a cut or did you eat more with your weight training?

What do you mean by losing weight? Do you mean losing bodyfat and maintaining lean mass, effectively changing your body composition and dramatically improving your overall appearance?

That's only 3mos time, and 40lbs of almost entirely fat (215lbs to 173lbs). I did ZERO cardio other than about 15 minutes of heavy bag work before my 1hr or so low rep/high intensity lifting routine.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yes. I basically do no cardio.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I do almost no cardio

darn
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio. Why kill yourself sweating like a pork roast when you can lift and eat properly!
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Me. I did about 2 months of light running to be able to finish a 10k earlier in the year.
  • BetterThanThor
    Options
    I do almost no cardio

darn

I said almost
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    crisanderson, those are pretty amazing results. Was your calorie intake at a cut or did you eat more with your weight training?

Thank you :).

To lose weight (fat preferably) you must eat at a deficit. That's what Taso meant when he said it's independant. Diet is king. A deficit will lose weight, a surplus will add it. This is a pretty much set in stone rule. Exercise (and type of exercise) is a modifier only. Heavy lifting while eating a proper amount of protein and other macros, on a deficit, tends to maintain lean mass (you're telling your body by the type of activity you're engaging in that you NEED your lean mass), and target fat as the fuel to make up the deficit.

Cardio has other benefits to your health however, which is something that needs to be kept in mind.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I do almost no cardio

darn

I said almost

:flowerforyou:
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    YES
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    What's cardio?:glasses:
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hell ya
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    See my weight loss ticker at 80+ lbs lost?

2 years. Basically all diet with some bouts of heavy lifting here and there. Recently added heavy lifting again.

NO CARDIO.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    right here