Protein Shakes..

Options
ErinGiam
ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
So, I'm trying to eat 5 small meals a day instead of my normal 3, and I figured for one of those meals I could have a protein shake.
However, I have tried them before and HATED them. So what I want to know is, what is a good decent tasting shake that I might even want to drink on a daily basis?
Thanks guys :)

Replies

• HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I was using the protein shakes from Herbalife and they were pretty good, especially when mixing fruit into the vanilla or chocolate one. I also enjoy the cafe latte flavor with a little instant coffee flavor mixed in for mornings instead of actually having coffee.
  • marbier15
    Options
    So, I'm trying to eat 5 small meals a day instead of my normal 3, and I figured for one of those meals I could have a protein shake.
    However, I have tried them before and HATED them. So what I want to know is, what is a good decent tasting shake that I might even want to drink on a daily basis?
    Thanks guys :)
    We do frozen strawberries, oats, plain yogurt, and lowfat milk and 2 scoops vanilla protein pwder and some ice... its really yummy and healthy and the oats help to keep you full! :)
  • neztet
    neztet Posts: 21
    Options
    I think it depends on how much protein you are looking for. I am currently drinking EAS Lite Myplex with 20 grams of protein and 5 fiber, with 170 calories. I like it, it isn't too sweet or nasty. I have also drank Pure Protein 35 grams protein, that wasn't bad. There is Special K's Protein Shakes, they only give you 9-10 grams protein, I found them to be too sweet. It is completely up to you!
  • tipusnr
    tipusnr Posts: 572
    Options
    If you like the sugary sweet taste of regular shakes, I don't think any of the protein or meal replacement shakes are going to do it for you. I can't say that I've tasted them all because I 1) have a price point break that eliminates a lot of them as too expensive and 2) have had a past bad experience with trying new things where I went from never taking creatine to, basically, ODing on them with samples from the Arnold Classic and ended up in a fetal position in the ER trying to rehydrate.

That being said, I like the lean body shakes. They aren't bitter and don't have an after-taste. The down side of them is that the "ice cream" flavors have chunks in them that can be quite an issue if you don't take a drink, recap, shake, take a drink and repeat.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    I use the BSN Syntha 6, its prob the best tasting one I ever had
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I get the Natural Edge Whey Protein chocolate powder and mix it with almond milk. It's thick & creamy. I like it.
  • nickboost79
    Options
    i use the gold standard, 100% whey protein, double chocolate. i mix it with water. Tastes great, and is easy on my stomach.
  • jenlhugg
    jenlhugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I take 4 oz of OJ, 8 oz of water, 1/2 cup greek yogurt, scoop of vanilla protein powder and shake it up good. I have one every day after a workout.
  • empiremom
    empiremom Posts: 52
    Options
    i use Arbonne figure eight vanilla protein shake. i add 1 cup of strawberries and 1/2 banana. it is really good.

you can add a little honey or agave to it if you like sweet shakes.

also a magic bullet or blender will really help the grittyness of most protein powders.
  • Virgology80
    Options
    I switch off between EAS Myolplex light (cho or vanilla) and ZOIC
  • dfrase
    dfrase Posts: 2
    Options
    My wife and I drink the Nutrilite Meal Replacement Shake...they come in either a French Vanilla or Chocolate Flavor. Yhey taste great and we don't add anything to them. :happy: Since we're doing 3 meals and 3 snacks per day these are great for either. Cal 140...Fat 3g... Protein 15g. Plus they are not expensive. You can get them from your local Amway Business Owner.:happy:
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I make my own since I'm not really supposed to have dairy. I buy organic frozen fruit (Lower in carbs and sugar) and do a cup of that a scoop of protein mix and then a cup of water and sometimes an oz or two of Trop 50 (low sugar orange juice). It's really good and quick! Sometimes I may throw a half a banana in there or something as well!
  • foxywife75
    foxywife75 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I drink a soy protein shake every day. It's from Dr. Oz's website with a few modifications.

1 scoop soy protein (great health benefits for women & does the same thing for muscles as whey)
    1/2 tbsp flax oil (omega)
    1/2 tsp cinnamon (reduces blood sugar & cholesterol)
    1 tsp psyllium seed husk (fibre & helps to keep you full)
    3 ice cubes
    1/2 large banana
    1/4 c frozen blueberries or 1c mixed frozen berries
    8 oz cold water

It makes 2 servings.
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I use prograde vanilla protein powder (purchased online) and add fresh fruit and skim milk. Banana improves texture and I like to use frozen blueberries or other berries. I don't add any sweeteners the fruit is sufficient for me. I usually add some small ice cubes to thicken it more. My recipe makes about 5 cups so you could share or cut it down if you like.

1 scoop prograde protein powder
    1C skim milk
    1 banana (peeled and cut of course) (about 100g - 120g)
    about 100g frozen blueberries
    2g wheatgrass if available
    ice(I use 1-2 C small cubes) Makes about 5 Cups at about 400 plus calories for the total amount, so 1/2 recipe would make about 2 1/2 cups at under 250 calories and would be a good amount for a snack.

Personally I like to vary my snacks, so veggies, whole fruits, nuts and such can add a lot of variety and health to your day as well!:tongue::happy: :flowerforyou:

Enjoy! and take care!

Shari
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Shakeology, Shakeology, Shakeology. It provides benefits that NONE of the standard protein shakes provide, including probiotics, phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals and a whole lot more. It tastes so fantastic, even my 10 year old daughter loves it. Just PM me for more info.
    Risa
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I use Spiru-tein Chocolate Peanut Butter Powder, spinach, ice and either milk, almond milk or soy milk. YUMMM

Sometimes I will add a banana.

It fills me up for about 3 hours which is nice.

I like the Spiru-tein because it has 100% of daily vitamins in it and I always feel really good after I drink it. Plus the taste is phenominal...every flavor I've tried.

http://www.spiru-tein.com/index.asp
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    EAS Myoplex light in strawberry is my fav!!!!! French vanilla is also tasty. I'm drinking one right now! The muscle milk light shakes are nasty... I wasted my money on those and now they're just sitting in my fridge for me to choke down on a desperate day. Best of luck!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I use the BSN Syntha 6, its prob the best tasting one I ever had

WORD! Chocolate milkshake is sooooooooo yummy!
  • vandors10
    Options
    My favorite Protien Shake:

1 cup cherries (frozen or fresh)
    1 cup strawberries (frozen or fresh)
    1 cup rasberries (frozen or fresh)
    1 cup liquid (pomegranite, pinapple, skim milk, water)
    Protein powder to your desire

Process all ingredients in a blender. Makes 4 8oz servings. Separate into 8 oz servings and freeze for another day.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I like the Ohyeah protein shakes in either Vanilla or cookies and cream. It low in carbs and high in protein and I will supplement one for my dinner a couple times a week.