Walkers of the world UNITE!

Options

Replies

• LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    Walk-aholic here too! I have a treadmill in my basement that I recently dusted off since joining MFP..now I'm addicted. I usually load up one of my favorite shows on the laptop and walk walk walk! Right now I do 5 days a week between 45-65 min..about 400 calories burned and 4 or so miles. Sometimes I jog but not for more than ten minutes due to....well I want to live for another day, haha!! I want to run but after ten minutes I can barely breath and get a lovely cramp in my side...one of these days it'll happen..till then I'm gonna keep on walking! :glasses:
  • nelleybelley
    nelleybelley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Walk-aholic here too! I have a treadmill in my basement that I recently dusted off since joining MFP..now I'm addicted. I usually load up one of my favorite shows on the laptop and walk walk walk! Right now I do 5 days a week between 45-65 min..about 400 calories burned and 4 or so miles. Sometimes I jog but not for more than ten minutes due to....well I want to live for another day, haha!! I want to run but after ten minutes I can barely breath and get a lovely cramp in my side...one of these days it'll happen..till then I'm gonna keep on walking! :glasses:

LOL. My DH is a runner and he always says "why don't you run, you can burn the same amount of calories in half the time." Yeah right- run for 30 mins- no thanks. I actually like to walk, I hate running. THe longest I have ever run was 20 mins, and I hated every minute of it.
  • mrflibbleisvryx
    mrflibbleisvryx Posts: 47 Member
    Options

LOL. My DH is a runner and he always says "why don't you run, you can burn the same amount of calories in half the time." Yeah right- run for 30 mins- no thanks. I actually like to walk, I hate running. THe longest I have ever run was 20 mins, and I hated every minute of it.

Oh, I hear ya! I HAAAAAAAAAAAAATE running! It's horrible. I have no idea why people would voluntarily put themselves through that on a regular basis. Even when I was in shape and exercised regularly (pre-baby), I STILL hated running.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Well, I did my mile walk to my mom's house and here I am! lol It seemed hard today, I was sleepy, and it's a little warm out there, but I did it! lol I'm probably going to walk my bro's kids up to the playground later and get some more exercise there :)
  • nelleybelley
    Options
    Good Job fellow walkers!

I just got off the treadmil. DD is still napping (yea!) so I thought I would check in w/ everyone. I did 69 minutes, 4 miles, and burned 428 cals. I am at the phase where I am trying to push myself just a wee bit more. Its not so bad if I do it in baby steps, literally, a few minutes at a time.
  • nelleybelley
    Options
    Another walker here! I have walked forty pounds off so far, and still going! I *love* walking. It is the one cardio that I actually tolerate well, and when I walk outside (which is a rare treat) I really enjoy it. I found some good ideas on this thread, I think I will try to get outside for a long walk maybe every other week. I will have to get DH to watch the baby.

I have a 2 1/2 yr. old, so I walk every day at naptime on my treadmil. Right now I do 63 mins. a day, 6 days a week. I burn 400 cals, walk at 3.6 speed, and max out at 5.5% hills. When I first started walking I only did 20 minutes at a time. I just added a few minutes at a time, little by little till my endurance built up.

I am about to add a body scuplting routine three days a week.

I will be sooooooooo happy to get to the day when I can say "I have walked forty pounds off" !! Good for you, Girl. Adding a body sculpting routine will really help in the fat loss too. It really needs to be a combo. I'm going to do the same really soon.

Thanks! You'll get there with walking!!! It really is a great exercise, minimal risk of injury, easy on the joints, enjoyable. I am heading to walmart tonite to get my dumbells. Here is a link to the sculpting routine I plan on doing (a friend found this for me):

http://health.msn.com/fitness/womens-fitness/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100199207&GT1=31036
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I walk to work almost every day. It's only a mile each way, but hey, it burns calories right? I also walk on the days I don't run or do weights in the gym. They are sort of my off days, but I use walking to earn more calories to eat. Sometimes I take really long walks with my dog too. I try to vary my workouts from walking, to jogging, to weights and it keeps things more interesting.
  • MsLadybug
    MsLadybug Posts: 55
    Options
    I walk to work too. It's about 45 mins - 1.6 miles each way. The good thing is that because I moved to somewhere kind of rural, I don't drive, and the bus service is almost non-existant, it forces me to do it. Although the nice woman I work with has been offering me rides home. I figure that walking at least one way is good enough most of the time. I do try to do the 90mins back and forth a couple times a week.
  • mrflibbleisvryx
    Options
    Well, I did my mile walk to my mom's house and here I am! lol It seemed hard today, I was sleepy, and it's a little warm out there, but I did it! lol I'm probably going to walk my bro's kids up to the playground later and get some more exercise there :)

Awesome! Keep it up!
  • mrflibbleisvryx
    Options
    Good Job fellow walkers!

I just got off the treadmil. DD is still napping (yea!) so I thought I would check in w/ everyone. I did 69 minutes, 4 miles, and burned 428 cals. I am at the phase where I am trying to push myself just a wee bit more. Its not so bad if I do it in baby steps, literally, a few minutes at a time.

Excellent job!!! I'm proud of you!
  • mrflibbleisvryx
    Options
    Just finished my one mile. Feeling great! The DVD comes with these weighted water balls but they're a little much for me right now, as I'm pretty much a beginner. So, I added 1/2 pound cans to the arm movements and even that small amount made a difference I could feel.

Can't wait until I can work myself up to the actual weights!
    :bigsmile:
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I've been walking at least every other night for 45 minutes, briskly. This week my husband and I extended that to an hour. Probably will start getting some weight training in there soon.
  • nelleybelley
    Options
    I did 69 mins and 4 miles on the treadmil today. Today was tough, it was hard to get and stay motivated. I usually take Sundays off, but since tomorrow is so hectic (we are having a yard sale) I will walk Sunday and take tomorrow off.
  • erin0412
    erin0412 Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks for the Walk Illinois link - my kids will dig it too!
  • mrflibbleisvryx
    Options
    I did 69 mins and 4 miles on the treadmil today. Today was tough, it was hard to get and stay motivated. I usually take Sundays off, but since tomorrow is so hectic (we are having a yard sale) I will walk Sunday and take tomorrow off.

Great job today!
  • mrflibbleisvryx
    Options
    Just finished today's mile! How's everyone else doing?
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Yes...representing FL in the heat of the morning...I walked.

Just wanted to let you know I figured out my mileage by using a free resource mapmyrun...you can draw lines from starting point to finishing point and get correct mileage. They also have suggested walks or runs in your area. I do 30 min at about 3.5 mph which is fine for now.

~Namaste :flowerforyou:
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I walked for 50 minutes last night, getting pretty muggy here.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    How are my fellow walkers today?
    I walked a mile and ran 2 miles.
    Get out and walk!!!!!!

Keep it up walkers!

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • MInnesotaNice
    Options
    Walking around a lake is the best, once you start you are going for 3 miles or whatever......then you count laps, not miles and before you know it you have gone 12 miles :) Thanks for the push, I am tired but putting my shoes on and going out for a walk now!! I love this website!