Eye opening food log in after the fact

Options
So yesterday I did well eating breakfast and lunch and had about 570 calories left for dinner. I knew my husband and I were going to go on a walk after dinner which meant I would have even more calories available for dinner. My husband and I decided to go out to Bob Evans for a breakfast dinner as I was really craving a pecan hotcake. Well I ended up getting the classic breakfast which included 2 eggs, 2 sausage links and the hotcake. While waiting for our food the waitress brought out four slices of their banana nut bread and I had one slice. I thought I had gone over my calories of 570 by maybe 200 calories. We got home, went on our walk, burned 180 calories and then logged my dinner into MFP and realized then that the breakfast dinner at Bob Evans was 1111 calories! That is insane as I didn't even feel that nasty over full feeling when I was done. Talk about eye opening! I ended up getting on the treadmill for an additional walk/run for 45 minutes to burn off the extra calories. Fell into bed exhausted but glad I pushed myself. I will never order that again as I don't really care for the sausage anyway. I should have gotten a couple hotcakes and been done with it as that is what I was craving. Wouldn't have been a healthy dinner but better than what i did and alot less calories. Warning-log before eating out! :wink:

Replies

• 100x2xLose
    Options
    Agreed! I found out recently that I can't eat at one of my favourite take-out places anymore because their standard meal is about 1500-2000 calories! :(
  • Virgology80
    Options
    I am sitting here with my mouth hanging wide open.

CRAZY!!!!
  • tomtrl
    tomtrl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I try to go online, assuming that I know where I'm going to eat, and determine based on the calories that I have left, or will have left after exercising, what I will eat when I get there. Saves a lot of agonizing when I get there.
  • fitandhealthy
    fitandhealthy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    So VERY true! This website has definitely opened my eyes to what I have been eating. I've never really looked at my food nutritional values before this site. I now feel a bit more educated and want to look at this as a lifestyle change instead of a diet. I'm now choosing my foods wisely, sticking to my plan everyday, and drinking more water than I ever have! I'm going out tonight for the first time since starting with MFP and I did exactly what tomtrl suggested....I went to their online menu and figured out what I will be ordering.
  • JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    Options
    Glad you posted this!!! I always log my whole day the night before, so I can plan accordingly (I bring my lunch / snacks to work, so it's easier that way).... lessons learned:happy:
  • oliveoil7979
    Options
    I alway check before I choose what I eat now. Like a couple of weeks ago my husband and I decided to go to Olive Garden. We searched the options before we got there, checked calories and fat to determine what we could and could not have. For the first time, I think ever, we left Olive Garden very full, and only had consumed about 650 calaries. That included soup, a bread stick and our entre.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Bob Evans is notoriously bad. Watch out for the trans fats too at breakfast type places. I went to Zaxby's one night and got their Zensation Zalad with grilled chicken...didn't add their dressing. And the stupid salad was still 900+ cals. I expected maybe 600. Not to mention the 1000+mg of sodium! It's disgusting what restaurants do to "food." What's worse is that our culture lets it keep happening! Perhaps if more people did what we do on here, things would change.

Even trying to go on websites can fail. Like I was trying to find some info on Friday's website, no luck. And some places only give calorie counts. It's frustrating.

Chalk it up to a learning experience and occasional splurge. Be proud that you paid attention and tried to "fix" what you did. So many people don't. :)