Healthy foods ARE more expensive.

Options
Ok I went to walmart the other day to get some groceries and I started looking in the healthy section. Like fruits and veggies and meats. I couldnt believe their prices! it was 2.98 per pound of apples, 1.48 per small mango, freaking one avocado was almost 3 bucks. No wonder no one can eat or cook healthy meals everything so expensive.

I guess my dad was right eating healthy is way more expensive then just getting frozen dinners, but I dont want to live on tv dinner because they are not healthy. They're packed with sodium and chemicals and not full of the nutrients you need.

Anybody that live on the west side of U.S know good places to shop for groceries. Especially fruits and veggies? Because I sure cannot afford walmart prices when I always thought they were suppose to be cheap.

Any stores or suggestions appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I would try farmers markets. All organic and locally grown, usually fairly priced. I live in Washington BTW
  • xFitnessFlirt
    Options
    I would try farmers markets. All organic and locally grown, usually fairly priced. I live in Washington BTW

not sure or never heard of farmers markets and what they are. I'll google it, thanks. I live in Nevada here lol
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    trader joes and sprouts markets (maybe called sunflower in NV) are pretty good.... they have double advertisement wednesdays which are awesome!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

not sure or never heard of farmers markets and what they are. I'll google it, thanks. I live in Nevada here lol

They have them in Nevada. Definitely google it and also see if there are any health food stores in your area - like Whole Foods, etc.
  • sammy_g1
    sammy_g1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Eat different types of fruits and vegetables when they are season and they will be a lot cheaper.

It is summer where I am so things like tomatoes and avocado are really cheap and at their peak, however I never buy those things in winter as they are way too expensive and the quality sucks.
  • questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm in California - avocados are nowhere near that expensive here, even the organic ones top out at like $1.50. But first, I wouldn't buy produce from Walmart or Target if you have other options. I haven't been impressed with the quality and their prices really aren't too impressive.

You absolutely can eat healthy on a budget. Farmers' markets are great - try farmersmarket.com to see if there is one near you. Also, if there are any Asian or ethnic stores near you, they typically have very good prices on produce. I also like Fresh & Easy, Sprouts, and Trader Joes. Not sure if they have any of those stores near you but if they do, they're definitely worth a look. Good luck! ;)

**Edited for typos
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i know leaner meat is more expensive now that i switched to it,BUT SO WORTH IT!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

They have them in Nevada. Definitely google it and also see if there are any health food stores in your area - like Whole Foods, etc.

Farmers markets are over for the year in Ca. They end now until Mar of next year. The reason produce is so expensive right now is because nothing grown in the northern hemisphere is in season. So summer fruit is being imported from S America... Much more expensive to ship and for you to buy. If Walmart is to expensive try Target. Here in S Ca they are about the cheapest around. Clip coupons and buy sale items.
  • vizsla99
    vizsla99 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Recently I happened to go to Walmart and a local grocery chain. I was always under the impression was much cheaper, until this trip. What I noticed is perishable items like apples, avocados, and other fruits and vegetables were 25-65% LESS at the grocery chain. Walmart on the other hand was cheaper on non perishables. It may pay to shop around a little bit.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I know that the frozen meals have more sodium and additives but I don't cook at all. So for lunch I do eat some of those frozen meals. I do eat some healthy sandwiches, carrots, apples, cottage cheese and canned fruit, etc. We eat out at supper. I'm not sure what the dietician will say about it when I meet her tomorrow for the first time but she will have to work it in. I don't salt anything, I drink only water or sometimes the V8 fusion.
  • questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Farmers markets are over for the year in Ca. They end now until Mar of next year. The reason produce is so expensive right now is because nothing grown in the northern hemisphere is in season. So summer fruit is being imported from S America... Much more expensive to ship and for you to buy. If Walmart is to expensive try Target. Here in S Ca they are about the cheapest around. Clip coupons and buy sale items.

I'm in Southern California, too, and there are still farmer's markets by me! I know at least the one in Mission Viejo is still running and also Tanaka Farms still has their produce stands open. Though they are both closed for the next two weeks due to Christmas.
  • xFitnessFlirt
    Options
    I'm in California - avocados are nowhere near that expensive here, even the organic ones top out at like $1.50. But first, I wouldn't buy produce from Walmart or Target if you have other options. I haven't been impressed with the quality and their prices really aren't too impressive.

You absolutely can eat healthy on a budget. Farmers' markets are great - try farmersmarket.com to see if there is one near you. Also, if there are any Asian or ethnic stores near you, they typically have very good prices on produce. I also like Fresh & Easy, Sprouts, and Trader Joes. Not sure if they have any of those stores near you but if they do, they're definitely worth a look. Good luck! ;)

**Edited for typos

thanks a lot. I've seen fresh and easy around here all the time I just didnt know if they were cheaper. I'll check out that website too!
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I agree, especially in terms of calorie per dollar. It's a lot cheaper to buy 2,000 calories worth of 'junk food' than it is to buy 2,000 calories worth of lean meats and fresh veggies. That's why you have to find the middle ground. There's really no need for expensive, organic, farm-raised stuff. Canned and frozen veggies are just fine too. A box of poptarts in your grocery buggy isn't going to kill you. Everybody on MFP has suddenly gotten so obsessive over eating 'clean' it seems, but I just aim for balanced. :)
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Healthy foods may or may not be more expensive than unhealthy food, but where I have lived (OH and TN,) healthy food has been more expensive at Walmart than healthy food at Kroger, Meijer, FoodTown, etc. In my experience, once I wanted to start eating real food, I stopped shopping at Walmart.
  • Frozen fruit and veggies are almost as good for you as fresh and cheaper than out of season produce. Beans, lentils and tofu are WAY cheaper than beef. Try substituting them occasionally.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    It's possible to eat cheaply and conveniently and healthily.

I get these frozen. Savings come from things lasting ages, and typically, the stuff is cheaper than fresh:

- tilapia fillets
    - blueberries (for shakes/desserts)
    - shrimp

I spend on these:

- chicken. But, 1 breast goes into 2-4 meals. 2 if I'm doing chicken + starchy thing + veg. 4 if I put it into chilis or sandwiches (2 oz each)
    - steak
    - lean deli (ham and turkey) - but, deals to be had here too

These, I usually get on a deal:

- canned beans and lentils. Yeah, sodium, the extra time boiling drives me nuts. I rinse them for ages. Good value: I split one 19 oz can of lentils, and put it into 3 soup lunches. 99 cents a can for the beans, 1-3 bucks for the soup (1 package = 2 servings). That's $1.33 for a lunch.
    - tuna
    - nicish soups (see beans above)
    - oatmeal
    - canned tomatoes

Don't save much here, but cal for dollar for meal, it works out:
    - greek yogurt (goes into everything)
    - cottage cheese

For veg and bread, I sometimes spend, sometimes go to markets, sometimes get a deal. Apples and bananas are usually cheap.

Average weekly spend = 60-100. 60 means: lots of food prep and freezing, frozen fish, no eating out. 100 means: have to get expensive staples (nice vinegar, olive oil) and I've mostly eaten fresh meats.
  • xFitnessFlirt
    Options
    I agree, especially in terms of calorie per dollar. It's a lot cheaper to buy 2,000 calories worth of 'junk food' than it is to buy 2,000 calories worth of lean meats and fresh veggies. That's why you have to find the middle ground. There's really no need for expensive, organic, farm-raised stuff. Canned and frozen veggies are just fine too. A box of poptarts in your grocery buggy isn't going to kill you. Everybody on MFP has suddenly gotten so obsessive over eating 'clean' it seems, but I just aim for balanced. :)

trust me i cant eat clean 100% of the time. because i love to have something unhealthy once in awhile too. But i do love healthy foods and im trying to find a good balance too. Plus by the price of clean eating i cant eat healthy all the time. I just want to try to eat clean MOST of the time. Thanks for your advice! :)
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Whole Foods is incredibly expensive.
  • xFitnessFlirt
    Options
    It's possible to eat cheaply and conveniently and healthily.

I get these frozen. Savings come from things lasting ages, and typically, the stuff is cheaper than fresh:

- tilapia fillets
    - blueberries (for shakes/desserts)
    - shrimp

I spend on these:

- chicken. But, 1 breast goes into 2-4 meals. 2 if I'm doing chicken + starchy thing + veg. 4 if I put it into chilis or sandwiches (2 oz each)
    - steak
    - lean deli (ham and turkey) - but, deals to be had here too

These, I usually get on a deal:

- canned beans and lentils. Yeah, sodium, the extra time boiling drives me nuts. I rinse them for ages. Good value: I split one 19 oz can of lentils, and put it into 3 soup lunches. 99 cents a can for the beans, 1-3 bucks for the soup (1 package = 2 servings). That's $1.33 for a lunch.
    - tuna
    - nicish soups (see beans above)
    - oatmeal
    - canned tomatoes

Don't save much here, but cal for dollar for meal, it works out:
    - greek yogurt (goes into everything)
    - cottage cheese

For veg and bread, I sometimes spend, sometimes go to markets, sometimes get a deal. Apples and bananas are usually cheap.

Average weekly spend = 60-100. 60 means: lots of food prep and freezing, frozen fish, no eating out. 100 means: have to get expensive staples (nice vinegar, olive oil) and I've mostly eaten fresh meats.

thanks for the advice! this is really helpful! I might try this out!
  • kschhr
    kschhr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Avocados are super out of season, which is why they'd be three bucks, so are mangoes and apples. Vegetables are generally really cheap. Find international stores and they can be very inexpensive. Most Mexican and Asian stores are the best (big stores though, not specialty shops).