Dressed, think I am getting there. Naked, see no change

Options
Anyone else? Right now, when I am dressed, I can look in the mirror and think, ya I am definitely getting there. But stepping out of the shower and seeing myself in the mirror and I feel like I don't look one ounce skinnier!! I don't have any 'good' pics of my heaviest but I have bikini progress pics from the last probably 10 pounds and don't see any difference there either. I have lost pounds and some inches, but I can't see it when naked or in the bikini pics I have.

Replies

• brandtsw
    Options
    Yes...me too
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You are just being too hard on yourself. If you are seeing a difference in you while clothed then there is obviously a difference when you are not as well! Remember that you are your hardest critic and it is sometimes hard to see change. Try taking pictures weekly and comparing them every so often
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I will say this, we all have skewed visions of ourselves. For me I still look exactly like I did when I was 105 pounds heavier because I was in denial then. It is amazing how our minds can trick us. I would suggest taking pictures of yourself, and comparing them every so often. It was a picture of me on FB that actually made me realize that I had to make changes. God Bless and good luck.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    it's weird but its hard to notice changes by yourself.Ask someone else to compare your before and after pics and they will tell you the truth
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    sammeee!
    particular clothes look better on me than they did before.. but naked or in underwear I still think I look grosssss.. :sad:
  • SanDiegoCasey
    SanDiegoCasey Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    TAKE PICS!! so important!

personaly i notice a huge difference in myself every day especially after publishing my fat pics on MFP!
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I think it's harder to see changes in our body without clothes on because we still want to see what we used to look like in the mirror. I haven't lost a ton of weight yet, but I definitely can see a change in how my clothes fit and how I look in them. I don't see as much of a change in how my body looks without clothes on, but I know that change must be occurring because of how I look with them on. Don't be so hard on yourself though, as long as you know that you're making progress that's what matters. The other changes will come. :smile:
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. Ive lost 100 lbs, but when I look in the mirror, I still see the big gut and man boobs Ive always had. To me, I still look thet same.

I guess Ive still got a ways to go.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Yep same here... I think it's a mindset thing. Pants that were too tight a few months ago are falling off me now so logically there is a substantial difference... eh keep going- we wil have to see it sometime right?
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Free your mind and the rest will follow! Yes I brought En Vogue to the conversation, cause the message is solid. Try to look at the journey and not the destination. Like everyone said look at the old pictures and smile because you already reached a point back then you thought you couldn't or wouldn't.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'm the total opposite! Naked I look the freaking bomb - with clothes on? eh!
  • mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have also noticed the cloths already fitting looser and was able to button an old recently ill fitting shirt and felt good wearing it. Buff not really there yet. Also no one has said anything. I try to look at the positives, (cloths fitting), and not the negatives, (naked or compliments). (Yes, I'm talking to myself now as well!)
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    It makes sense. I was satisfied with how I looked clothed at least 5 lbs before I started to be happy with how I look naked.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I know what you mean. I look good in clothes that are much smaller size than before but, my skin is sagging on arms and legs. someone even asked if I quit exercising as I did not look as "toned" a before. I wanted to say "that was the fat filling out the skin"!!!

I do notice after about 3 months, the skin on upper arms is tightening up. Keep up the good work and don't be so critical.
  • TinaRodina
    TinaRodina Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. Also, some days I think I look awesome in my clothes and then other days I feel like a cow (and I'm talking about the same outfit). My boyfriend tells me all the time that he can tell I'm losing weight, but I just don't see it...
  • samanthasimps0n
    samanthasimps0n Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I agree. A couple of years ago I lost 15 pounds and everyone was telling me that I looked really skinny, and when I was dressed I could tell my clothes were really big on me. But naked, I did not see a single difference from my before body. We really do have skewed images of our body which makes it hard to noticed any change. I'd go by how you look in your clothes, and your happiness :)
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Glad I am not alone. I decided after reading some replies saying take progress pics (which I already was doing) that I would take my first available progress pics and my most recent (about 10 pounds less than first pic) and actually edit them to be side by side and actually realized that there WAS a small visible change. Wish I had good pics from when I was 20 pounds heavier.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking this today. I'm exactly halfway to my original goal and I can definitely see it in clothes. I guess I can see it naked too, but I guess I thought I'd look a whole lot better at the halfway point than I do lol. Especially my stomach. Just gonna keep on keeping on and I believe I'll shock myself one of these days. :flowerforyou:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd also definitely have to see the pictures to tell.
  • brittany103
    brittany103 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, I just bought a new outfit, several sizes smaller and I looked at myself and thought I look pretty good, clothes come off I feel gross. It's definitely self image issues, hopefully after a few more pounds I'll be happy with naked me.